Remember this?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dronecatcher, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

With all the discussion of Dropbox bailing out on PowerPC, I thought back to this...iTools and then .mac with iDisk...did I really pay $99.95 dollars a year for a 100Mb webdrive - yes, I did :)

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ah yes. iDisk. Tha parallels are also somehwhat similar to Dropbox.

When it was first introduced it was free. I can recall setting it up at work on a G4 running OS9. Awesome thing having the iDisk mounted.

Then came the lie.

Apple announced at launch it would be free – forever. Six months to a year later Apple was backpedaling and dancing around trying to explain why they were going to charge for it. I deleted my account.

So, when Dropbox came around it was very cool because to me it did iDisk one better. You didn't even have to mount Dropbox – it was just there.

Now of course…

I think my option will just be repopening the AFP port on my router and connecting to my Quicksilver from outside.

3. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I paid up to get the mac.com email account - this was before Gmail etc of course, I thought I'd be wise spending money with Apple to get email with robust reliability. Wrong, there were lots of glitches and service not available. Went Google eventually and stopped paying.
    I'm sure the iDisk was only 50Mb to start with? Did seem incredible way back then though :)

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

It's amazing how storage space has increased very quickly over the years.

Soon we will have 30 trillion bytes of cloud storage for free.
    Versus the 100 million bytes of iDisk when it was new.

5. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

OK this is a dumb question. When i purchased my macbook in 2007 i had set up an apple id account with a .mac.com. It was apparently my email too.That explains why the email never ever worked for me. i didnt pay for it. Another way apple tried to get even more money from us.

Sometimes apple is a bit disorganized. Its sad no one was able to tell me why my email wont work and now you say its because i had to pay for it. WOW apple. Then again i did ask in 2010 3 years after my macbook but still come on.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Still half of what other cloud storage services provide for free nowadays.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've lost track of the number of times Apple has changed their email addresses.

I became a "convert" when Mobile Me was still around but being phased out in favor of iCloud. I remember a bunch of people at the time(3-4 years ago) having @me.com email addresses. Now, I think you can get an @icloud.com email address, although I've never really looked into doing it and have no real desire to do so.

I've had a Yahoo account since about 2003, and still use that for some correspondence and check it regularly, although it's also become my default "mailing list" account. I guard my Gmail account a LOT more closely. I get very little email on that account, but what I do get tends to be important(or if not important, per se, at least stuff that I want to read).

8. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Didn't they say you can access dropbox for PowerPC over the browser interface still? I mean that is inconvieniant, but better than not being supported at all and having to search for a new solution.
    (I had started a thread some time ago, where some mentioned PPC alternatives, though)

What are these free ones?

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you have an @me account adding @icloud will result in the mail still coming through. Both are yours.

10. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I think by that time it was free - I signed on at the start of .mac but paying $100 a year for email that wasn't even available all the time was a joke - never mind the confusion over the ever changing address. Of course, if I had stayed loyal, I'd still have got pushed out of the frame when iCloud broke PPC compatiblilty.

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I can use all three, having signed up to .mac back in '06.

I did have an old iTools account on my PowerMac 7200 years before, but let it lapse when I sold the machine as it didn't work on Windows back then...

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Same as me. I like my .mac but for some reason default to @me cos it confuses people lol

13. weckart macrumors 68040

My Apple ID still has my @mac.com addy but Apple moved everyone onto @me.com a while back as @mac.com was reserved for Apple employees only.

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They didn't force the move

15. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

First I've heard of that. I'm still using my mac.com email address without any issues whatsoever.

16. repentix macrumors regular

Mega.co.nz (50 GB free)

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Remember the email moons ago touting @me and you could give up your @mac address but no one did as it was optional

18. weckart macrumors 68040

Dunno. Pretty sure I got moved as otherwise I would have ignored that email. I never used my mac.com account as anything but an Apple ID vehicle. When I set it up you had to pay to use it as one after a trial period so I never bothered. I suppose those with a MobileMe subscription got the choice.

19. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Found the email :

Took me about 30 seconds to find that. Why would anyone use anything other than Apple Mail? It just works. :D

20. weckart macrumors 68040

Yeah, looks like subscribers got the choice. I just remember getting something about being 'upgraded' to me.com, something about 'exciting' and that I could not generate any more mac.com addresses.

21. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Checking in as another "from iTools launch" user. I've had my @mac.com address since it launched. Note that when it became a paid service, I did *NOT* pay for it for the first few years - but the account was allowed to "stay reserved" via iChat. For a while, my @mac.com address was solely used as an AIM account in iChat. When I decided to start paying, I still kept the address, later migrating to MobileMe (and both @mac.com and @me.com worked fine,) later to iCloud (and now I can use @mac.com, @me.com, or @icloud.com just fine.)

I even have my max allotment of email aliases, one so old it is grandfathered all the way to @mac.com (so has all three domains available,) one with just @me.com (and @icloud.com,) and my latest that just has @icloud.com available.

I don't use any of them a my primary address (I have my own domain for that,) but there are some people from long ago that still use my @mac.com for their once-or-twice-yearly emails. And of course I use it for any Apple-related services.

22. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Did you ever have any problems? I frequently experienced service drop out and couldn't access my email, which is the last thing you expect on a paid for service. Obviously Apple got their house in order when iPhone come along but I'd moved on by then.

23. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I've had very occasional outages, but they've been short. I've been more annoyed at 'disappearing feature syndrome' - I actually used the MobileMe iWeb-created websites.

24. Cox Orange, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I now had a chance to look into it (because I wanted to find something to upload a big file) and found something, that was important to me, hence I am crossposting, sorry.

I found out mega.co.nz was founded by a fat, childish, german guy, who is a criminal, Kim Schmitz (alias Kim Dotcom). He went into prison and when he came out, he claimed he had hacked NASA and pentagon systems. He then got jobs from security enterprises (and again went to prison). Later it turned out, that he doesn't know a lot of coding and has his people doing it. He is also famous for hosting several illegal file sharing platforms for movies (not that I judge this) that got shut down one after another, some still exist. He always keeps on saying how great he is and still in fact he has smart people under him that code for him. (He lives on the knowledge of those people - I know especially in America there is nothing wrong with being "random" and making money with other people's talent, but I don't like and trust the guy. It is a difference when people like Steve Jobs become Gods, because they have their people vs. being a betrayer and a fat laughing child). Sorry, for being overly moral.

German Wikipedia also notes that this site claims to be 100% private, in fact your personal data can be sold to companies who trade with it. Also there seem to have been some easily doable Java-exploits.

Bottom line get your information about mega.co.nz and decide yourself. Kim Schmitz is a big warning sign for me. I also don't want to support him as a type of character.

25. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Wow really :eek:

Ironically, Mega.co.nz says they respect the copyright of others and that you must not upload illegal files.

Ironically again, that is what everyone uses it for due to it's large file size limit for free. Most people use it to pirate large files to people.