Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
PowerPC in education, the G4 version of the Powermac G3 AIO. I always loved the look of these machines, and I also love CRT all in one's, the 1.42ghz eMac being the fastest and the last CRT based mac Apple ever made. I myself am looking for this particular model. I also imagine 720p video would look really nice on the 1280x960 display.

There isnt any point to this post I know, just starting up some conversation of my favorite apple product of all time.
These things are great though, post your eMac pics and discussion down below!

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
I sometimes wish I was born earlier to have gotten to experience this time in Mac history. I fondly remember using the CRT iMac (oldest model I remember using) in high school in tech class.

(1994)

Reactions: TimothyR734

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
I relate to the feeling. I love all-in-one CRTs, too. Although in the end I became a "convert" of "Mac mini G4 + separate CRT". For me, it's less of a headache to maintain...

Which is not to say I wouldn't take any eMac thrown at me. Why, with pleasure.

torvan

macrumors member
Well--on my desk is a Windows 10 box I built, my Dual Quicksilver 1.0 connected to a 30" Apple Cinema DVI monitor (OS9.2.2), 2009 Mac Pro (Mojave) (not on any monitor--I share it with the 30"), my 24" iMac 3.06 Ghz (El Capitan) and rounding out the end is my beautiful 1.42 Ghz eMac on Leopard. At one time, I loved the large screen, but now next to the others, it looks kinda small to tell the truth!

Attachments

• 68493090_2900707069971545_3773515020239896576_n.jpg
    68493090_2900707069971545_3773515020239896576_n.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 205

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I relate to the feeling. I love all-in-one CRTs, too. Although in the end I became a "convert" of "Mac mini G4 + separate CRT". For me, it's less of a headache to maintain...

Which is not to say I wouldn't take any eMac thrown at me. Why, with pleasure.
A user on this forum by the username of MrPilot shared a link showing a 1ghz powerbook play youtube almost perfect with Leopard Webkit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10nx30CshkZtUPiRQ8b0k9JlcClRq42ZQ/view
Which means Youtube videos would look nice on the eMacs screen as well.

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Just stumbled in here, on my search for an emac circuit diagram or photo of the analog/power board:
I recently got an emac that was on its way to the dump and cleaned it, de-dusted it and put OS X 10.5.8 on it - just to find that the screen stops working now, with only a superbright vertical line in the middle of the tube. (Externally connected screens still work, but I´d like to get back the CRT look!). One component on the power PCB in some horizontal deflection circuit burnt down to coal, completely unrecognizable now. Silk print on the PCB does not help as it is dust only in that region, unreadable. Could have been any two-pin part like an inductor, resistor, diode or just ferrite bead...

Does anybody have some schematics, diagrams, or would be willing to open and photograph the section of the PCB in detail for me (PM welcome) ?
My machine is a 1,42GHz model, but I´d guess the 1,25GHz or lower could be similar or even identical in that area of the board...

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Just stumbled in here, on my search for an emac circuit diagram or photo of the analog/power board:
I recently got an emac that was on its way to the dump and cleaned it, de-dusted it and put OS X 10.5.8 on it - just to find that the screen stops working now, with only a superbright vertical line in the middle of the tube. (Externally connected screens still work, but I´d like to get back the CRT look!). One component on the power PCB in some horizontal deflection circuit burnt down to coal, completely unrecognizable now. Silk print on the PCB does not help as it is dust only in that region, unreadable. Could have been any two-pin part like an inductor, resistor, diode or just ferrite bead...

Does anybody have some schematics, diagrams, or would be willing to open and photograph the section of the PCB in detail for me (PM welcome) ?
My machine is a 1,42GHz model, but I´d guess the 1,25GHz or lower could be similar or even identical in that area of the board...

I don't have a schematic or an eMac, but you're definitely going to be looking at what horizontal output transistor you'll need. That's most likely the part that let out the magic smoke. You'll want to check the components in line with the HOT as well to make sure there was no failure preceeding/causing it. In older monitors, when the flyback would go, so would the HOT. The line down the middle of the screen is a good indication that you didn't lose the flyback as well, as you still have high voltage, just no horizontal deflection.

Looking on eBay, I don't see any chassis PCBs for sale for the eMac, but you might want to keep an eye out for one in case your fixes don't work.

Last edited:

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
I had an eMac for a short spell, and an iMac G3 (Not sure what I did with that thing). However, i ended up getting rid of them both. Sad truth was my Powerbook and PowerMac took up less room and out performed both.

All that said and done, I still love the old blue slot loading all in ones. If I had the desk space, I’d totally have one again.

Last edited:

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
I don't have a schematic or an eMac, but you're definitely going to be looking at what horizontal output transistor you'll need. That's most likely the part that let out the magic smoke. You'll want to check the components in line with the HOT as well to make sure there was no failure preceeding/causing it. In older monitors, when the flyback would go, so would the HOT. The line down the middle of the screen is a good indication that you didn't lose the flyback as well, as you still have high voltage, just no horizontal deflection.

Looking on eBay, I don't see any chassis PCBs for sale for the eMac, but you might want to keep an eye out for one in case your fixes don't work.
Thanks for the suggestions. The crumbled component is definitely a 2-pin part, so MOSFets and bipolar transistors can be ruled out. And yes, the flyback (incl. HV generation) still works, so it might really be a minor thing to fix - as soon as I´ll find what that mini lump of coal originally was.

Interesting side note: I found a couple of pages where ppl replaced the 17"CRT with a 16" TFT. Would be the last resort for me (but I really like the CRT look and feel, so I´d like to keep it - esp. with nice tools like SwitchResX for tweaking out the best/max resolution and refresh rate combination).

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Thanks for the suggestions. The crumbled component is definitely a 2-pin part, so MOSFets and bipolar transistors can be ruled out. And yes, the flyback (incl. HV generation) still works, so it might really be a minor thing to fix - as soon as I´ll find what that mini lump of coal originally was.

Interesting side note: I found a couple of pages where ppl replaced the 17"CRT with a 16" TFT. Would be the last resort for me (but I really like the CRT look and feel, so I´d like to keep it - esp. with nice tools like SwitchResX for tweaking out the best/max resolution and refresh rate combination).

Ahh. Having not seen it, it sounds like it might be a cap in line with the HOT. Maybe a latch of some sort...

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Looking to pick one up for my collection. No desk space left over in the office for CRT models, so working on the basement to keep the collection together. Along with the LEGO models. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.