Reminder: You have 60 days to get AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pragmatous, Sep 13, 2014.

1. pragmatous, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

pragmatous macrumors 65816

Apple changed it from 30 days to 60 days not to long ago for iphones and ipad.

How to get AppleCare+
    Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.
    Buy it within 60 days of your iPhone purchase. Your iPhone purchase date is the date we ship and charge you for your order:

At an Apple Retail Store (requires inspection of your iPhone and proof of purchase)
    By calling (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A/applecare-for-iphone

:) :apple:

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I didn't have the option when I bought the 6+ through the apple app. I'm definitely getting it on the Monday after launch at my local apple store.

3. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I really hope they let me do it over the phone...I don't feel like driving 2+ hours just to get AppleCare+

4. pragmatous thread starter macrumors 65816

i'm pretty sure you can order it online too. I know i did for my macbook pro a couple years ago.

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

They will. They run a remote diagnostic to ensure it is functioning.

6. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Ok good, last time I tried, two years ago, they gave me some BS that I had to go in the store and there was no way around it. I guess they added in remote diagnostics, what a relief. Thanks!

7. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

So you could drop it within 60 days and crack the screen and take Apple Care out and let them remote test it :D

8. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I have had this too, and it makes sense since Applecare+ allows you to replace the phone twice (with a charge) for cosmetic damage, like a cracked screen.

What is to stop the unscrupulous from waiting till they drop it, then phoning up to take out Applecare+ ?

I didn't take Applecare+ when ordering my iPhone 6+, but wish I had. Hoping I can phone up to buy it before delivery and avoid any issues like above.

9. iOz macrumors regular

Not after purchase. iPhone and iPad are different. You also have a year to add it to the MacBooks and iMacs

10. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

You're right. But for some people it is extremely inconvenient to get AppleCare+. For example, I buy my phones off of the Verizon website. They haven't found a way to integrate it yet so I can buy AppleCare+ from Verizon, I'm sure its due to money. I live well over 2 hours from my nearest Apple Store. So I would have to devote about 6 hours to get there, get applecare, and get home. And moving isn't an option, kind of hard to just pick up and move when the Army gets to say where I work.

11. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

12. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

This from the UK Store website. Seems the unscrupulous are in luck.

Attached Files:

13. ozshadow macrumors regular

My problem with AppleCare is it is $99 plus $79 per incident.

Taking a damaged iPhone to the local Apple Store without AppleCare always resulted in a replacement for $200.

14. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

they should really change it to 120 days its more money for them. these plans all have extremely high margins and they need to inspect the phone anyway.

15. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

So what you are saying is that paying $99 to get the cost of an incident reduced from $200 to $79 doesn't look a very good deal, especially as you might not need it.

Put like that you could be right. Guess it depends on how clumsy you are.

Also do we know that the out of warranty replacement cost of an iPhone 6/6+ will still be $200?

16. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Squaretrade is another good option to consider. They offer 2 and 3 year warranty. And you can get more then 2 incidents v

17. Azzin macrumors 68040

I'm not sure what your problem is.

If you don't take out AC+ and drop your phone in water twice, that will have set you back $400, plus you'll only have a 12 month warranty.

If you had AC+, you'd lay out a total of $257 and have a 2nd year hardware warranty (with phone support too).

AC+ seems like a no brainer. :confused:

----------

Does it offer on the spot replacements like AC+ does?

18. big samm macrumors 65816

I will get it at the apple store as soon as i receive the phones... Apple store is 5 mins away from my place!

19. newone757 macrumors 6502

Yes through normal genius bar appt but you have to pay full price out of pocket and they reimburse you when you provide them with the documentation. As far as I know. I don't have any experience though so I can't speak to how timely that is

20. Azzin macrumors 68040

Actually, that's a really good point.

It will surely be higher than whatever it is now to replace a 64 gig 5S, to replace a water damaged 128 gig i6+.

I'm 100% getting AppleCare + for £79.

21. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

But that assumes you are going to drop it in water (or similar serious damage) twice. I have never dropped a phone ever, but I did pay for one out of warranty replacement for a SIM fault in the second year.

Applecare+ is not a no-brainer, like all insurance it is a form of gambling.

22. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

That used to be the case - looks like they've upped the price of an Out of Warranty replacement (although it still may be worth the gamble) basically it comes down to which way you feel like you're going to be more likely to waste an extra $100 (either buying AppleCare+ and not using it, or not buying it and paying an extra $100 for an Out of Warranty replacement than you would have if you had purchased it). This is all assuming that the Out of Warranty replacement price on the iPhone 6/6+ is equal or greater than the 5,5c,5s models.

Source: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Personally, I'm still undecided - I have 66 more days to decide though.

23. Azzin macrumors 68040

History does not guarantee future events though does it?

I've never dropped my iPhone in the toilet, but I like the peace of mind that AC+ gives me should I ever do it.

Agreed and it's always a case of risk vs reward, but IMO, the 2nd year hardware warranty + 2 replacements for a total of £110 is a no brainer, when it comes to shelling out £79 for that "risk".

24. rritterson macrumors 6502

We don't know it will be $200, but assuming it is, the first cost of replacement:

-under Applecare+ is $99+79 = $178
    -no Applecare = $200

So it doesn't matter if you are scrupulous or not, really, since Apple is only out $22 if you aren't.

the second cost of replacement:

-under Applecare+ = $79
    -no Applecare = $200

So, if you never need your device replaced, Applecare+ is $100 more expensive, if you need it replaced once, Applecare+ is $22 cheaper, and if you need it replaced twice, it's $143 cheaper.

Of course, Applecare+ also gives you a second year of warranty coverage. That could be worth a significant amount of money depending on the failure.

For me, though, I replaced one phone once after a drop, and for the other phones it was zero times. And my credit card provides the second year of warranty support. So for me, the cost of Applecare+ is almost certainly a wasted $100, or, at best, a coupon for $22. The potential downside outweighs any potential upside.