Remote App Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kovalchuk71, Jul 14, 2008.

1. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, Ive read everything on here and for some reason, my iphone isnt showing up on my devices list in itunes. I am on the same Wi-Fi network as well. Any ideas?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Are you running iTunes 7.7?
    Have you tried restarting both the computer / iPhone?

3. frosse macrumors 6502a

Have you disconnected it from your mac and iTunes? :p

I know I made this mistake, I just wanted to try it out but left it plugged into iTunes :D:eek:

4. kovalchuk71 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right now I am running it on Windows. Does that make a difference? I will try restarting my comp now. I am running Itunes 7.7

5. frosse macrumors 6502a

Well then I cant help you, maybe you should call Bill gates, he must be expert in answering questions on why a windoze pc doesnt work as it should :p

6. kovalchuk71 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok restarted both the computer and iphone. Still isnt recognizing. I dont know Why?!!?!? The iphone and the PC have to be on Wireless correct? Also, the computer will recognize the iphone on itunes when i open the remote app right? Im not seeing anything on the devices list on my itunes on my pc

and BTW, I will be getting my first macbook next week, so I am pumped. No more Gates for me!

7. frosse macrumors 6502a

Have you allowed remotes in iTunes? You do this in settings somewhere.

8. css1323 macrumors regular

I'm having the same issue.

I am using iTunes 7.7. "Look for iPhone & iPod Touch remotes" has already been enabled in the Advanced tab.

The Remote application is opened on the iPhone and is waiting with a generated Passcode. And still, nothing appears in the Devices list in iTunes.

Btw, is there a way to refresh iTunes (shortcut key) instead of clicking on other stuff like Music/Videos/Podcasts refreshing the iTMS?

9. css1323 macrumors regular

Any updates? Did you guys get it to work yet?

10. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Has your PC ever recognized the iPhone as being connected...and by connected I mean plugged into it with a USB cable. iTunes will not recognize a device over a wireless network. After you make sure the iPhone shows up in iTunes....then expand the iPhone entry in the iTunes list and look for remote...when you click on that it'll present you with a place to enter the code that shows up on the phone when you open Remote.

11. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

ugh!

I'm having the EXACT problem. And I'm stuck with a PC.
    I want a macbook so I don't have to go through this ****.
    No offense, PC, you've done me well.
    But macs just work.

12. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

Hold up.... WHAT??
    I just called Apple to see why Remote wasn't working
    and you need AppleTV to use it????
    RAHH

13. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

Hold up- never mind. The Apple guy lied.
    Ehh, that's okay. Apple's customer service is good but isn't totally flawless.

And thanks, link helped

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just to get the basics out of the way to make sure it is all set up correctly;

1. Have both devices connected on the same wireless network.
    2. Open iTunes on your comp and the Remote app on your iphone/touch.
    3. If it's the first time you opened the Remote app it on your iPhone/touch, it will ask you which iTunes library to connect to on the wireless network. Choose the one you wish to connect to.
    4. The iPhone/touch will then display a four digit passcode that you need to enter in iTunes before you can control it remotely.
    5. In iTunes your iPhone/Touch will appear in the left sidebar as a remote device (this is different icon to when you sync it). Select it and you'll be presented with a screen displaying fields to enter the four digit passcode from step 4. Enter the passcode.
    6. You'll now be able to control your iTunes wirelessly with you iPhone/touch.

edit: Beaten by the knowledge base article above^^^^^

15. lenselijer macrumors member

My iphone is connected to the router using wifi.
    the itunes pc is connected using wired ethernet.

I see the remote in itunes, i type in the correct code, and then i see a blank library on my iphone which wont work. It Says: "Library not found" :(

Any suggestions? Firewall is already turned off.

16. icewing macrumors 6502

17. pacazzo macrumors newbie

Solution

Hi guys, I had exactly this problem and I just have found solution!
    You just verify if the Bonjour service is enabled...
    I had it disabled and after I turned on, I recovered my remote iPhone application.
    Enjoy!

18. DigMe macrumors 6502

Clearly you have not scanned these forums or any other Apple forums very much!! :rolleyes:

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This has nothing to do with it.

20. DMoney0023 macrumors member

ok I cant get it to connect either on my laptop(PC), but it worked on another laptop(PC) right away

I think its Bonjour.....how do I enable it on iTunes 8??

21. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Try restarting the laptop.

22. DMoney0023 macrumors member

ok got it working....Bonjour was disabled from starting when Windows started...

I have my iPod hooked up to iTunes, but I dont see the tracks on my iPhone to select...all I see is my Library, can I play my iPod library or just the iTunes Library???

23. christy333 macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. "Look for remotes" setting is on in iTunes (it already was, and there were no devices for it to "forget", I tried). The iPhone and laptop are connected to same wireless network. When I open the Remote app, my library doesn't show up, so I click "add library" and it gives me the passcode. The remote never shows up in iTunes though. iTunes does have access to the internet, as I access the iTunes store through it. I've looked through that Apple support article 2 people posted and followed the instructions and it didn't help. I'm on iTunes 8 and the latest version of the iPhone software. Vista if it matters. Help!

Edit: I've restarted iTunes, my iPhone, and my computer, and still no luck.

24. tpoe macrumors newbie

Ditto

I've tried everything suggested in all the notes above and still not able to see the device in iTunes. I see the iPhone but when I open Remote and tell it to Add Library nothing happens. This is such a great app. Would be great to get it working again.

Update 10/14 - Fixed it. My iphone wasn't properly connected to the same network. It acted like it was but when I went to use another program that also requires the connection I found it was wrong. Updated the information and poof! It works. Thanks to everyone above.