Remote Wipe Question!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SethRogen, Jun 25, 2009.

1. SethRogen macrumors 6502

I'm selling my old iPhone 3G tomorrow so I went on Mobile Me, to do a Remote wipe well it's been 4 hours and it's still not done. At 5:10 Eastern Time I got an Email that it started and well right now my iPhone screen is stuck on the logo generally how long is this remote wipe going to take? Or am I doing this wrong I just want all my stuff deleted off my phone before I sell it.

2. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

I now powered off my iphone and tried plugging it in my laptop nothing's working please help!!!

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Keep posting every 5min, I think it's working...

Why would you do a remote wipe when you have the phone with you? Just Erase All Content and Settings!

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well, Remote wipe was not the best way to clear your iPhone.

Remote wipe erases your data and the OS. You just need to put it into DFU mode and restore a basic image as a "new" iPhone.

Reset all settings: Choose General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.
    All your preferences and settings are reset. Information, such as your contacts and calendars, and media, such as your songs and videos, aren’t deleted.

Erase all content and settings: Connect iPhone to your computer or a power adapter.

Choose General > Reset and tap “Erase All Content and Settings.”
    This feature resets all settings to their defaults and removes all your information and media on your iPhone by overwriting the data stored on iPhone.

Important: You can’t use iPhone while data is being overwritten. This can take up to two hours or more, depending on the model and storage capacity of your iPhone.

Dave

5. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

Right Now Im Freaking Out I Plug In My Iphone And Nothing Is Happening !!!!!! I See The Symbol For 5 Seconds And It Turns Off!

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

Here are the details for "Remote Wipe"

Remote Wipe

You can remotely wipe the contents of an iPhone or iPod touch. Doing so removes all data and configuration information from the device, then the device is securely erased and restored to original, factory settings.

Important: With some devices, such as older iPhone models and iPod touch, wiping can take approximately one hour for each 8 GB of device capacity. Connect thesedevices to a power supply before wiping. If the device turns off due to low power,the wiping process resumes when the device is connected to power.

Dave

7. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

So it's been 4 almost 5 hours could this really take longer... I hope nothing's wrong.
    Also thank you for the help.
    Edit: I plugged it into power source, the iphone symbol comes on for 5 seconds then the phone is totally off. Did I ruin something after emergency powered off my iphone?

8. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow I'm really freaking out. What do I do? It only stays on now for a few seconds!!

9. Alphaspida macrumors member

Put it in DFU mode:

Hold power button for 10 sec
    Hold power button and home button for 10 sec
    release power button and continue holding home until you notice any difference I guess.

10. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I think you were too impatient (judging by your flurry of posts) and rebooted/unplugged before it was done.
    Have you tried DFU mode and restore? Once restored, Erase All Content and Settings again and restore once more.

11. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Do a search on DFU mode and follow the instructions - that will take care of it so that you can bring it back to life and wipe it clean.

12. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

Impatient? I waited 5 HOURS I thought something was wrong!

13. intrepid00 macrumors 6502

I wipe should take 2 hours. Is the progress bar moving? I can't remember though if the bar restarts if it runs out of power or you reboot it.

14. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

No, you didn't wait 5hrs. You tried to use a feature not meant for what you wanted and it needed to kick off when the network sent the signal. So you may have stopped the phone in the middle of it's wipe process, thereby "bricking" your device. If you use DFU mode, load a stock firmware then Erase All Content and Settings and reload the stock firmware again, you should be all set. :)

This will ensure your personal data is indeed wiped.

15. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually 4 hours and 38 mins exactly before touching it. I thought something was wrong since it took so long. And what is DFU mode and how do I use it? And what firmware?

16. compg318 macrumors regular

17. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

http://tinyurl.com/mn9wks

Firmware, what you load on your iPhone when you click Restore. It's your iPhone OS 3.0.

18. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Yea I had the same thing happen

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=723756

Like another poster said just google DFU (I cant remember exactly how to do it) and keep trying. You need to do it pretty close to perfect for it to work so if it doesnt then just try again.

19. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

I talked to Apple Iphone tech number. They said since my iphone didn't have a sim card the remote wipe couldn't work, since mobile me doesn't allow this.
    So you know the DFU doesn't work. After I hold the home button nothing it stays on for a few seconds then it powers off.

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wait what? You tried to do a remote wipe without having your SIM card in it? How exactly will the Mobile Me servers talk to your phone and tell it to be wiped?:rolleyes:

21. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I was on wifi, so it read my iphone. I was selling the phone tomorrow so I was clearing everything off, but didn't think about restoring it.
    Also, dfu doesn't work.

22. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Based on what you posted above you are not doing it right. I suggest maybe following a video link or hell, if you have a Mac, use Pwnage Tool and it will guide you through DFU mode.

23. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

I followed the video, the problem is it starts off with having your phone on.
    Here's what I did.
    1. Pushed both buttons together -> Apple Logo Appears
    2. Plugged in phone to my Macbook while holding on to home button.
    3. Continue Holding Home Button
    4. My iphone turned off while holding home button

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

DFU always works no matter how bad you mess up your iphone.
    Keep trying untill you get it right.
    Read the steps again slowly.