Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SethRogen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Did you see my steps? Am I doing it right. I tried those steps about 20 times now.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Did you try the link I gave you?
You're supposed to have itunes open and the phone plugged into usb before you attempt the steps.

Step One
Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to your Mac

Step Two
Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

Step Three
After exactly 10 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until you iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
The iPhone screen will remain black

NOTE***: It may take a few attempts to get your iPhone into DFU mode. Generally, I hold down both buttons then release the Home button just before I think the Apple logo would appear. If you are still holding both buttons down and you see the Apple logo you are holding them down for too long!

3GS916

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Wow, you're a genious :D

Haha no, he's a genius.

also, dude, u need to chill out. I dont even know why you tried to remote wipe the phone in the first place. If you have a mac, you can download pwnage tool and use the DFU tool. If you cant follow that, i dont know what to tell ya.

3GS916

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Ok? You must be SOL? Haha jk. Bro if you really need help, and if you have a mac with iChat, I'd be happy to do a screen sharing session/video chat with you to see what youve got going on there. Ive been stuck in all places with my past iphones. Usually a couple of deep breaths and a nice cool soda can get me through anything.

AHughes

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
This is just getting sad, i think it might be best if he just took it to an apple store where they will give him a wiff of "new mac smell":apple: (it always calms me down) and then fix the iphone up.:D

edit:sorry for not being helpful, but plenty of others are trying to help so all i can bring is comic relief

SethRogen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Randomly the iPhone worked after doing what you said which I did it so many times until it finally worked. I did what you said before about 40 times it didn't work. But randomly after doing it another 10 times it finally worked. The reason why I'm freaking out is I'm selling it tomorrow for $320 dollars and this person needs it by tomorrow or I can't get it sold lol, and I can't get to Apple store appointment until a Monday which I'll be away.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Lol :D
Congradulations bro :D
Yes, sometimes it can take many trys and even if you're a quarter of a second off it wont go thru.
Glad it worked out for ya.
Now you can breath again :D

Randomly the iPhone worked after doing what you said which I did so many times until something randomly worked. I did what you said before about 40 times it didn't work. But randomly after doing it another 10 times it finally worked. The reason why I'm freaking out is I'm selling it tomorrow for $320 dollars and this person needs it by tomorrow or I can't get it sold lol, and I can't get to Apple store appointment until a Monday which I'll be away.

3GS916

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Randomly the iPhone worked after doing what you said which I did it so many times until it finally worked. I did what you said before about 40 times it didn't work. But randomly after doing it another 10 times it finally worked. The reason why I'm freaking out is I'm selling it tomorrow for $320 dollars and this person needs it by tomorrow or I can't get it sold lol, and I can't get to Apple store appointment until a Monday which I'll be away.

Is it an 8 or 16 gig?

3GS916

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Damn playa, i got $400 for my 16gig, step yo game up! ahh so fresh so clean makin all dem ladies dream.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
$320 is pretty decent for a 16GB.
I sold my 16GB 3G for $300. I know I could have got more on ebay or CL but I rather dump it quick to a local friend than deal with auctions, shipping, paypal fees, Nigerian scams etc...

3GS916

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Yah apple I feel ya, I was just playin with Rogen, trying to help him calm down after his mini meltdown lol. I actually got a replacement from apple (for hairline cracks) the day I put the phone on CL, that allowed me to advertise it as a "brand new no scratch" phone. Helped me get the extra $$. I even threw in apple stickers from my airport extreme to seal the deal :cool:

upgrading to the 3GS only cost me about 50 bucks (early upgrade, 400, so i basically had to pay taxes.)

3GS916

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Lol :D, I could just picture him buggin out and ready to pull his hair out :D
Good deal on getting the refurb and selling it off quick for a good price.
I wish I could do the same but I had nothing wrong with it :)

Yah apple I feel ya, I was just playin with Rogen, trying to help him calm down after his mini meltdown lol. I actually got a replacement from apple (for hairline cracks) the day I put the phone on CL, that allowed me to advertise it as a "brand new no scratch" phone. Helped me get the extra $$. I even threw in apple stickers from my airport extreme to seal the deal :cool:

upgrading to the 3GS only cost me about 50 bucks (early upgrade, 400, so i basically had to pay taxes.)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Are you getting an incorrect sim message like the pic you linked?
If you want stick your simcard in there to activate it and then take it out.
Are you jailbreaking/unlocking it before you sell it or just giving it like that?

SethRogen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Ok, thank you everyone again for the help and helped me get through my hissy fit.
Also, last thing. Since I'm selling this tomorrow. I need to unactivate it right? How do I do this? Going to Set Up as New iPhone won't work right?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You dont need to set it up as a new phone or restore from backup.
Just unplug it and give it to the seller like that.
Dont sync it with your itunes library at all.
If they know what they're doing they should be able to jailbreak/unlock it themselves.
You didnt advertise it as unlocked or jailbroken or anything right?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yes, just leave it the way it is now.
It works and it gaves you the message no sim card right?
That should be fine, if he's an AT&T customer he can stick his simcard like that and start using it without any hacking. If he plans on using it on tmobile he'll have to jailbreak/unlock it himself.
But the way its now activated with no sim is cool.

Right now I removed the Sim Card. Before Selling it should I give them the phone with a screen like this: http://www.winandmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/iphone112.png
Or should I give them the phone like the way I have it now I did not click to set up my iphone so right now my iPhone works fine it just doesn't have a sim card.

SethRogen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Yes, just leave it the way it is now.
It works and it gaves you the message no sim card right?
That should be fine, if he's an AT&T customer he can stick his simcard like that and start using it without any hacking. If he plans on using it on tmobile he'll have to jailbreak/unlock it himself.
But the way its now activated with no sim is cool.

Thank you so much Applejuiced! Thanks for all the help and to everyone else!
Lol Applejuiced you really know your stuff, you should work for Apple :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.