Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRO Stan

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Were you able to successfully update to OSX 10.9.4 with the pixel clock patch for 10.9.3?

Thanks!

laggs

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2014

Yes, works fine.

I have a mac mini 2012 i5 that work fine when i updated to 10.9.4, but I have a brand new 2012 i7 that had 10.9.4 already installed without the patch. I tried to patch but it is not working. Any ideas? thanks

BobLindstrom

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2014
I also have a Mac Mini -- 2.3GHz i7 -- that I've not been successful hacking for 4K with the Seiki 39-incher. Like an earlier poster, the opening OSX screen opens in UHD rez, but when the actual OS starts, it returns to 1080p.

laggs

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2014
I also have a Mac Mini -- 2.3GHz i7 -- that I've not been successful hacking for 4K with the Seiki 39-incher. Like an earlier poster, the opening OSX screen opens in UHD rez, but when the actual OS starts, it returns to 1080p.

Are you at 10.9.4 also? Did you try the pixel clock patch before updating to 10.9.4? I am wondering if I should go back to 10.9.3 install the patch and update to 10.9.4

BobLindstrom

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2014
I was at 10.9.4 when I initially tried the patch. On one occasion, the resolution did appear in Display preferences, but I clicked Scale (to see what was there) and the Mac crashed and I've never since been able to get the patch to respond correctly during installation.

I've also tried a fresh OSX install with no luck.

GabeA

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Also no luck with 10.9.4. Patch installation does not produce errors, and everything goes as expected during the patching procedure, but the new resolutions never show up (and still can't be activated in SwitchResX).

Shouldn't have updated to 10.9.4 the other day... now apparently I can't use the Seiki with my MBA with my Accel active adaptor.

Anybody working on an update to this patch?

Thanks!

GabeA

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
I can now officially confirm this patch will not work in 10.9.4.

Here is the checksum (MD5) of IOKit in 10.9.4: "2a4e9ff9efc7aacdc00b86c6e0d39fb1". This is not recognized by the patcher, which only contains built-in MD5 codes up to 10.9.3 (which by the way was: "9a86b6708569360f3156b53cc4f205d9").

What happens when the patcher is run is that it simply does not do any replace command because it does not find a matching MD5. Instead, what you're doing if you run all the commands in 10.9.4 is replacing the signature on your existing IOKit without actually modifying it at all.

The patcher is supposed to say: "Detected unpatched IOKit on 10.9.3, patching." It doesn't say this. It also doesn't say "Detected patched IOKit on 10.9.2, no action taken." It simply says nothing because it does nothing because the version of IOKit with 10.9.4 is unrecognized.

The conclusion: the patch does not work, and will never work, on OSX 10.9.4 or up, unless it is updated for the new IOKit.

<blank>

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
Mavericks?

I followed the directions that dmayle posted and created an updated yosemite patch, but it doesnt seem to work :( I wonder if they added more checks in the system somewhere:
https://github.com/vinc3m1/mac-pixel-clock-patch

Also to GabeA: since the file should be the same between 10.9.3 and 10.9.4, you should be able to run the command in the file from terminal:
Code:
sudo perl -i.bak -pe '$before = qr"\x0F\x85\x9D\x03\x00\x00"s;s/$before/\xE9\x84\x03\x00\x00\x90/g' /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

floris497

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
Netherlands
i also tried to get it to work on yosemite, but it did not work for me either..
is this patch also for display port? i don't see why not.

if i use switchResX it sais the 4k resolutions are invalid.

i also resigned the IOKit, so the system would not reject it.

jhamdotme

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
If any of you are on the public beta for Yosemite, please leave feedback with Apple about the problems with 4K and with the not-supported-but-should-be-supported hardware. It would be nice if everything just worked.

Rudy1

macrumors newbie
If any of you are on the public beta for Yosemite, please leave feedback with Apple about the problems with 4K and with the not-supported-but-should-be-supported hardware. It would be nice if everything just worked.

I did just that last week. My Mac Mini Core i7 2.3 GHz running the public beta identifies a Seiki SE50UY04 as a "30.5-inch 1920x1080p" TV. With the 165 MHz pixel clock limit removed I'm able to get 3840x2160, via a DP to HDMI adapter, running Mountain Lion. In each instance, the Mini starts up at UHD resolution, but switches to 1080p with Yosemite. I've also tried running Windows 7 via Boot Camp on the same machine at 4K with absolutely no problems.

Fushilu

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah Yosemite is very confused about Seiki 4K displays, it thinks they are 30" Apple Displays and I'm still tracking it down.

GabeA

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Also to GabeA: since the file should be the same between 10.9.3 and 10.9.4, you should be able to run the command in the file from terminal:
Code:
sudo perl -i.bak -pe '$before = qr"\x0F\x85\x9D\x03\x00\x00"s;s/$before/\xE9\x84\x03\x00\x00\x90/g' /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

The file doesn't seem to be the same. The checksum of IOKit is completely different and the jumps are in totally different places and forms (no JNE in the line it claims) than the original patch description states. Are you sure this assumption is safe? What happens if I fry my file (how do I restore the .bak file?)

<blank>

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
The file doesn't seem to be the same. The checksum of IOKit is completely different and the jumps are in totally different places and forms (no JNE in the line it claims) than the original patch description states. Are you sure this assumption is safe? What happens if I fry my file (how do I restore the .bak file?)

oh they're that different? I patched mine on 10.9.3 and the update didn't break anything so I assume the file didn't change.

I used this updated script on 10.9.3: https://code.google.com/r/linzhu0127-port/source/browse/macPixelClockPatcher.command

The JNEs might be in different places but as long as the relative distances are the same (which I think they are) the patch should work the same. You can restore the .bak in single user mode

thirdgen88

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012

Yeah, I recently upgraded to Yosemite (DP7 originally, now DP8 with same results) and had my Dell P2815q (28" 30Hz 4K) working at full resolution under Mavericks. I'm stuck at 1080p now on Yosemite.. This is connected via MiniDP->DP cable.

sdiaconu

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
2560*1080/60hz ultra wide via HDMI

Hello all.
I bought an Ultrawide monitor from LG with the resolution of 2560x1080. In windows the monitor work perfect, the nativ resolution is used but on OSX the max resolution via HDMI is 1980X1080/60hz. The HP probook 4540s doesn't have DVi-D dual link/ display port and I don't know how to make this monitor work.
Interesting is the fact that in the notebook specification is stated this :

DISPLAY HP ProBook 4540s:
Internal
15.6" diagonal LED-backlit HD anti-glare (1366 x 768)
External
Up to 32-bit per pixel color depth
VGA
Port supports resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 external resolution @75 Hz
HDMI
Supports direct connection to high-definition displays with up to 1920 x 1200@60Hz resolution and 7-channel audio with one
convenient cable (not included)

However I have 2560x1080 via HDMI in windows. Can this patch run on hackintosh and to enlarge also the resolutin to the native one ?

floris497

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
Netherlands
However I have 2560x1080 via HDMI in windows. Can this patch run on hackintosh and to enlarge also the resolutin to the native one ?

i do not think you need to modify anything.. just use switchResX to set the proper resolution. most graphics cards can handle 2560x1600 and lower, but your mac may not know about the kind of odd resolution you are using.

PowerBook1.83

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
If I knew where to find an IOKit file from OS X 10.5.. I would be able to make one.

What file do you need? I can send it to you if you tell me which one you need. My E-Mail is powerbookg41.83@gmail.com, please tell me yours or send me an E-Mail. I don't want 4K; I'm trying to overclock my PowerBook G4's internal LCD past 60Hz and the driver limit is not letting me past 85Hz.

floris497

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
Netherlands
What file do you need? I can send it to you if you tell me which one you need. My E-Mail is ***, please tell me yours or send me an E-Mail. I don't want 4K; I'm trying to overclock my PowerBook G4's internal LCD past 60Hz and the driver limit is not letting me past 85Hz.

please do not post your mail if you do not want spam..

Is that display capable of going over 60Hz? i have absolutely no idea how the PPC instruction set differs from Intel, so keep in mind if i will be able to make it, i'm not sure if it screws up anything inside your computer.

/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit < I need this file, get it to me in some way, and ill do my best.

PowerBook1.83

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
please do not post your mail if you do not want spam..

Is that display capable of going over 60Hz? i have absolutely no idea how the PPC instruction set differs from Intel, so keep in mind if i will be able to make it, i'm not sure if it screws up anything inside your computer.

It has been running at 85Hz for a few weeks, so it should be fine. Please help me with this. What files do you need to have in order to write a patch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.