Remove Leopard Dock Effect

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ivnj, Oct 28, 2007.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

Goto

Hardrive, System, Library, Core Services,.

Right Click on Dock icon. Show Package Contents.

Then open Contents and then Resources. View from Menubar on top. View as list. Then click kind on top of window and view by file type. Select all the .png files. Right click and say Move to Trash.

Restart the computer and see it. If I remove the 3d effect it looks ugly. But with 3d dock on it looks cool. Almost blending in like there is no dock at all.

http://www.sendusyourstories.com/ts/exes/dockeffect/

p1 and p2 are blue background and p3 and p4 are X logo. But as in p2 and p4 if I open Safari I get a small shadow. And it goes away if I minimize or quit safari. Still not bad.

Or this is the normal look with 3d and all the files in tact before I edited anything.

http://www.sendusyourstories.com/ts/exes/menubar.png

But I can't decide which looks cooler. With or without dock.

ivnj

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Dude, good job! But there's even cooler things you can do with this trick than what you did - instead of deleting the Dock floor image, you can replace it with a custom dock floor! Take the png, adjust the color in a graphics program, and you'll have a custom dock color. But even more than that, you can add your corporate logo or favorite band logo on to the dock floor image and it'll show up on the floor of your dock!

I don't have 10.5, so I can't test this theory, but try it out and see what happens, then report back and post more pics.

3. Cheesecake macrumors member

Oh the possibilities! *rubs hands together*

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Oh gosh, my naughty mind! Depending on how the dock image algorithm works, tile or stretched image, you could put a pic of "things" on the dock floor and watch the image grow and shrink, or multiply in number, as your dock size changes!

5. Cheesecake macrumors member

Whoo, settle down now. It's getting hot in here. The thought of expanding things, such as...balloons, shall we say, is too racy for these here forums.

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

You dirty persoon!

Anywho! That is really cool, I will play around with it tonight, though I doubt it will work. You probably have to be an administrator :(

7. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Hey, nice trick. I tried it out just now, looks rather interesting!

Just a tip though, don't trash the files, just rename them. Otherwise you risk not being able to go back if you don't like it.

jW

Attached Files:

9. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

All this risky system file alteration and mauling of the glass dock is bringing tears to my eyes. :(

10. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Risky system file alteration... lmao.

11. Zawamura macrumors regular

You don't have to restart to relaunch the dock, just write "killall Dock" in Terminal.app without the "".

12. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

this is something that i found on this review of Leopard
    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.ars/4

you can type this in terminal to get the look of the dock on the side on the bottom.

% defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES
    % killall Dock

I have not tried this yet, I would like to , but I want to know how to get it back to the normal dock, just incase i dont like it.

13. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

% defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO
    % killall Dock

14. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

The EASIEST way to quickly switch between the two is to use these two automator actions. (They run the same terminal scripts) I keep them in my downloads stack for easy access.

(Picture and download below)

Attached Files:

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

To get the dock back, just switch the YES to NO

% defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO
    % killall Dock

-Kevin

kkat69 beat me to it! ;)

16. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

17. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Yeah thanks. I downloaded your stuff. I like the 2d one better. The 3d one's shape doesn't even make sense.

18. mashinhead macrumors 68020

its much better without this. this is how i had it in tiger. but if you don't want to loose the images just in case, can you just rename them. will that work too?

19. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Dude, thanks it does NOT EVER get easier than this. I LOVE the 3D dock but its damn choppy right now.

20. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Couple of points.

I didn't remove the files. I deleted them all. But don't worry I made a backup copy.

Yes the auto scripts thing is great. But even if you goto 2D you still have that ugly white border.

So you have to remove all the PNGs.

And in 3D without removing all the PNGs you still have that 3D look. This way you don't have to switch to 2D just remove all the graph
    ics.

ivnj

21. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I personally love the new dock, and the 2d version is a great alternative for those who don't. I'd even go as far to say that the new 2d dock is better than Tiger's; the darker background makes icons stand out more against certain desktop pictures. That looks absolutely disgusting, though. Sorry. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

22. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

My Leopard dock:

[​IMG]

Very easy to get once you modify the frontline.jpg, scurve files, and the indicator pngs.

23. NJPitcher macrumors regular

Are we forgetting about time machine already? Don't we have essentially unlimited ability to mess with minor system files, as we have extensive backups of them?

24. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

And to think I actually manually backed up my Dock app before doing this. Hahaha!

25. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Very nice, now people who are annoyed at the low contrast program-running indicator lights have a good work around!

I'm still interested to see how the dock handles a dock floor image that's had a custom picture added onto it.