remove optical drive to save weight and improve cooling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wildduke, Mar 1, 2011.

1. wildduke macrumors newbie

you reckon that removing the optical drive in a MBP would be a goodway to reduce carry around weight, increase battery life and increase air space in the body of a MBP to improve cooling? Just a thought cause I cant remember the last time i used a cd or dvd!

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

removing the optical drive will indeed help with battery life, maybe an extra 10 or 20minutes can be had. it will reduce weight by ~100grams?

it wont really effect air cooling at all.

3. 8000rpm macrumors regular

I will be doing this for sure. Optical drives are so obsolete.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

blu-ray isnt obsolete ;)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can certainly remove the optical drive if you want, but if won't improve cooling.

6. Yin macrumors member

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it wont affect the warranty, unless you physically damage the machine in some way during the upgrades.

8. myuncle macrumors newbie

Are you sure about that?

Does that mean installing the data doubler won't affect the warranty to?

9. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Why would it increase battery life? Just curious cos mine doesn't seem to spin up unless there's a disk inside.

It won't improve cooling.

10. pedrofan macrumors 6502

Take care. The optical drive may work as an structural part of the body. So if you remove it the lower case may be more suitable for denting as you let a an empty hole behind it. And the hole body may be more torsionable. If you are not going to use it, replace it with an empty optibay or simply unplug it from the board.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im positive. if the data doubler doesnt break anything then its fine.

its on standby, it still consumes some power whilst waiting for a CD to be put in, minute levels but enough to make some difference.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't how the work to rip out the optical drive is worth the small savings in the battery and minuscule reduction in weight. I do believe the drive also helps with the stiffness of the chassis and without it you could increase the risk of denting or warping the case.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i gained 30mins battery life from taking mine out, it was a macbook pro core duo. pretty impressive by any standards.

14. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I seriously doubt that removing the drive will change bat life.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

on that machine it was honestly a time frame around 30 minutes. i was getting a max of 2hrs from the battery, then it went up to about 2.5hrs.

:)

16. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I see, thanks for that!

17. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Your going to use more power putting a HDD/SSD in there and the level the superdrive would use on the computer now a days is miniscule compared to the battery life that they have today and you will barely notice a thing.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no worries.. dont expect that on a newer machine though!

19. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Would an SSD consume less power than the optical drive?

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

quite a considerable amount less, when both are active. when the ODD is idle it would be a somewhat close comparison

21. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Had to be useful before it would be obsolete. I guess the technical term for Blue Ray would be worthless.

22. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

There is nothing that exceeds the quality of Blu-ray Video that is available on the consumer market. Certainly not that "HD" crap from the iTunes Store.

23. treestar macrumors 6502

i have been planning on doing this with my 13" uMBP to shed some weight. i wish i had a macbook air but i absolutely need a firewire port. i hadn't thought about the structural detriments. i hope some more people can offer advisement.

24. altecXP macrumors 65816

Can anyone that has removed their OD please weigh it? Unless its over .5lb I'm not sure that I would really bother.

25. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

It won't if you don't screw anything up and also put it back before you go to apple. I removed optical but always put it back before going to apple. Just don't be dumb and tell them you removed the optical drive before lol

Also the ODD is VERY LIGHT. Like I don't think I'd notice it in a 15" for sure and barely in a 13" It's probably less than 8oz.. The caddy + a mechanical HDD is heavier. The HDD alone is heaver lol