Remove Parallels 3.0 and disk partition from Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by daytripper, Dec 16, 2009.

1. daytripper macrumors newbie

I had parallels 3.0 - never used it.
    Got 10.6.2 - snow leopard
    Found uninstall desktop parallels.app and wouldn't open
    "show package" contents - executed uninstall command
    rebooted
    still have partition on which (what I guess is called) the Virtual Machine was with all the windows data and everything on that "computer"
    I want to remove partition
    how do I do that?

thank you

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Unless you use Boot Camp as the Parallels VM, there shouldn't be any partition to remove.

Parallels uses a virtual disk. By default, it should be in ~/Library/Parallels. The disk file should have the ".pvm" extension. They might have moved it in more recent versions, as I also seem to have another virtual disk in ~/Documents/Parallels. At least, you have a couple of places to look. Given you have Parallels 3, I suspect it's still in the ~/Library/Parallels folder.

Since you never used Parallels, there actually shouldn't be any virtual disk (except for the parallels tools disk).

3. daytripper thread starter macrumors newbie

I "rarely" used it - not never.
    Anyway, I may not be using the correct terminology, but under "devices" in my Finder is a "No Name" disk that has a directory structure below it which has everything in my "windows" computer: program files, windows, documents, etc. etc.

When I click disk utility "no name" shows up as a "disk" or "partition" or something.

Thanks

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

In Disk Utility, it should show up under your Mac OS partition. Both partitions should show up under the actual hard drive device. Like:

320.07GB WDC WD320...
    Macintosh HD
    BOOTCAMP​

If you created it for Boot Camp, use the Boot Camp Assistant to remove it. It will delete the partition and recover the free space to your Mac partition.

Otherwise, use Disk Utility to remove the partition, then expand your Mac partition to fill the newly created free space.

It's highly recommended you have a backup of your Mac partition before making any changes to the partition table. It should be safe, but stuff happens (usually user errors).

5. daytripper thread starter macrumors newbie

6. daytripper thread starter macrumors newbie

wow that was easy - boot camp assistant did it - thank you again!

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No problem - glad that helped! :)

8. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I have parallels on my macbook which I installed Windows 7. I decided to delete it and use BootCamp instead.

I'm still new to mac, so I deleted parallels by just deleting the files. (Correct me if I did it wrong)

But using bootcamp utilities it says it won't partition. I find that there is already two partitions on the harddrive by looking up the info in Disk Utility. How do i remove the partition without erasing all of my information?

Thanks.