Remove the CDROM Apple!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wankey, Jul 17, 2011.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

Can we please remove the CDROM already? Just imagine the advantages of no CDROM in the MBP:

Across the board:
    Expand the size of the battery so it sits edge to edge. That's a 30% increase in battery capacity
    Increase the size of the fans so you get way better silent cooling
    Ability to put better hardware due to the cooling
    Ability to stuff a SLEW of connectors (HDMI, Firewire800, Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 etc) on the other side of the case.

13inch:
    Easily fit in a core i7 + the cooling required for it.

15inch:
    Increase battery life upto 13 hours - a true laptop
    Decrease heat by using much larger fans so you can actually use it on your lap - a true laptop
    Ability to stuff in a blade of SSD AND a HDD

17 Inch
    Not a lot of need to remove CDROM in this as there is already enough room for a lot of things.

2. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Dont think the mainstream Apple buyer is ready for this

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I disagree, with the amount of AIRS sold over MBPs I think this would be worth while and add a USB CDROM as an add on. Id love this personally.

4. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Sounds great in theory, but all software would need to be available via download, and would not work well for anyone without an internet connection. I just don't see it happening soon.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Its a SuperDrive, not a CDROM. The last portable Mac with a CDROM was the iBook.

Buy an Air if you want a lightweight ultraportable.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Internal CD/DVD in laptops are so unnecessary. I'd like to see them gone, if you must lug around physical media then I can't see a problem lugging around a wee portable USB DVD.

7. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I did the optibay to get an extra HD...Never used the CD drive (haven't used a CD in a few years).

8. StvenH90 macrumors regular

I like the Superdrive, and it should not be removed... Just give me some damn BluRay...

9. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

More MBA over MBP? So you have a source for this?

10. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

I dont think that many people are ready for this change. Many people cite the lack of an optical drive as an reason they bought a MBP 13 over a MBA 13.
    Though i would also like to see the ODD removed and replaced by another HDD. I want Apple to offer something like the Optibay as an option so that it wont screw up warranty.

11. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

as with the MBA, just offer an external SuperDrive for all people with a need for a drive.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What do you use it for?

13. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I think just about every Mac power-user out there is thinking the same thing as you, OP. The only thing that I see as useful in a SuperDrive is the ability to watch DVDs and burn operating systems to a disk. These are things I do occasionally. I would much rather have a plethora of ports and/or more battery life. Many users replace their SuperDrives with Optibays. I would, too, if I needed the storage (I'm using half of my 115GB SSD :D).

14. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Sorry, mainstream computer users are not ready for this. The so called "many" that have replaced CD-roms with an optibay is probably less than .002% of the Mac population.

Just buy an Air if you want portability. Apple did give you that option after all.

15. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I agree and disagree in a sense. For an average user who isn't that tech savvy I think they need a CD/DVD drive because they don't know how to use USBs or thunderbolt and like things old fashion.

I think Apple should:
    a) offer to remove CD drive as an option rather than standardize it
    b) offer a free USB CD/DVD drive if they do standardize it

16. Young Spade macrumors 68020

It's so much more than portability though. For starters, the MBA costs a lot for what it offers you; virtually the same as a MBP when comparing price/performance.

On top of that, the 11 inch doesn't have that great of a battery life. People get around 4-5 hours. That's what I got on my 2007 black macbook. The OP is suggesting drastic changes in the design which, IMO, a lot of people would go for if they offered it along side the current MBP, however Apple never really fragments their lineup so that probably won't happen.

I'm going to have to look and see what changes the new MBA brings in terms of battery life; if it isn't at least 6 hours, i'm going to have to shovel out a few extra bucks and get a baseline pro. As a college student I want to lighten my backpack as much as possible but resorting in the need to bring a charger along with me for the day defeats the purpose of the MBA.

17. seniorgeek macrumors member

I totally disagree, I love to rip and burn.

18. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

That's the thing though - you're a college student. Your needs are probably a bit different than a "pro" in terms of business uses at least in today's business world. According to Apple, an Air or even just an iPad should suit your needs.

While I'm do agree that one day MBP's will lose their optical drive, the time isn't now. For all of you who are looking for signs when it will happen, keep an eye out for stores like Best Buy and Walmart. As soon as these stores completely remove their CD and DVD sections, the general public will probably be ready for such a change.

19. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Ahh... here we go again.

We need a "Remove the Optical Drive NOW!" forum.

20. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

What is Apple known for? Quality? Sure. Nice looks? Okay. Building the future of computing? Yes! Apple has pioneered some of the greatest technological advances of our age. CDs and DVDs are not the future. They are old, inefficient technology. What can a CD or DVD do that a USB thumb drive or SD card can't? I'd really like to hear what people have to say about this.

21. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

They either need to remove the ODD or keep it; having an option to have a second hard drive or ODD is a bad idea. While yes it would be nice, there would not only be a ton of wasted space where the ODD was, and if it was a blade SSD like it should be there would be even more space that could be filled with a bigger battery, and room for the 13" to have a real graphics chip. There's no way Apple would offer one with a ODD, and one with all the inner components moved around without an ODD.

That said, I'm all for killing the ODD and stuffing a blade SSD, more battery, a nice discrete graphics, and whatever else could be crammed into it.

22. seniorgeek macrumors member

Well, for starters one can make an audio cd to listen in a car cd player. There are a lot of folks without ipods, and mp3 players and cars without the option to use them.

23. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Modern cars are now equipped with Bluetooth & USB MP3 options. Some even have iPod docks.

24. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Most people don't own the most "modern" of cars.

25. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Eventually they will. Either way an external USB DVD would still come in handy for making a car CD.

Point is there are very few reasons to hold onto a DVD drive in a laptop computer.