Removing DRM from Itunes Video- MAC OSX Software please?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kcoolrule, Feb 22, 2009.

1. kcoolrule macrumors newbie

I have searched for hours today trying to find a freeware or buy a program to remove the DRM from my itunes videos of the Office Season 5 so that I can burn them to DVD. I called Apple and they told me there are freeware programs that will do this. All I can find is numerous Windows based programs or programs catering to music only converting.

There's got to be a program out there to remove DRM from itunes video. Yes, I have already looked at the similar posts on this and the replies to those weren't helpful at all. A screen recorder is not an option. I know this can be done somehow... does anyone know where to find such software?

AppleMacSoft Video Convertor does not work.
    Easytunes didn't work.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Really? Someone at Apple directed you to find a way they've "legally" provided downloadable movies that keep the RIAA "happy"? :rolleyes:

3. kcoolrule thread starter macrumors newbie

Customer Services was outsourced

Keep in mind the person that told me was this an outsourced customer rep. from India on a Sunday. I've actually never spoke to anyone overseas when calling Apple, but I suppose on certain days they do outsource... it's a shame. I brag other PC users about how Apple doesn't do that, and they actually are.

The only solution I see is purchasing the Apple AV cable for the iTouch for TV out purposes. However, a simple convertor or no DRM encoding would be great.

4. Diaresi macrumors regular

Excuse me if this sounds harsh, but why didn't you just buy them on DVD in the first place? :confused:

5. kcoolrule thread starter macrumors newbie

Diaresi,

The Office Season 5 is not out on DVD yet, there are still new episodes coming out. I bought a Season Pass on iTunes that allowed me to download all current episodes and automatically downloads future released episodes. I normally don't buy videos off of iTunes, but this was an exception I made because I love the Office.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, it's an over the air free TV show, so maybe this might help you out. I believe you'll be able to find all the Season 5 episodes in a format you can put on a DVD.

7. kcoolrule thread starter macrumors newbie

Yellow are you a member of TvTorrents? In order to register with their site you have to be invited. If so, can you please email me at <snipped>? I need an invitation code in order to register with them. Thanks

-Karl

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Will send an invitation shortly.

EDIT: sent

EDIT2: Sorry folks, out of subscriptions!

9. kcoolrule thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoa

Yellow thank you're amazing. Thanks again for the invite.

10. sixfingeredman macrumors newbie

So, seriously, no one has a solution? All you Mac guys (and gals) out there realize, that movies downloaded from iTunes can't be burned to DVD for viewing on a normal TV, right? Surely you can't be serious.

I am not interested in hooking AV cables up to anything to import to iMovie. Like this fella, I'd like an easy software solution, like Handbrake or Streamclip, that can just do it in one step. Someone smarter than me has to have done it already, there is unprecedented demand for it.

For the LOVE, people! Help!

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They have DRM on them for a reason. I am actually a little surprised that this thread isn't locked already, since discussion on breaking DRM traditionally is against the rules.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We have a moderator giving invites to TVTorrents. I don't think that it will be closed. :D

TV shows are in the public domain, so you don't have to pay to have them.

13. CLuv macrumors 6502

14. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Yep :apple:TV!

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...but iTunes files purchased from the Store aren't "public domain" - you pay for the "privilege" of watching them through iTunes. Why anyone would do such a thing is beyond me, but that's not really the issue here.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've known that iTunes movies can't be burned to DVD ever since the iTunes first had movies. It's nothing new and it's solely because of the studios demands for DRM. I do think it is stupid, but it's the way it worked out between Apple and the studios.

17. sixfingeredman macrumors newbie

It's amazing. Apple is amazing. We all have DVD players, but they have convinced us to think that we HAVE to pay them $200-300 MORE dollars for a new piece of hardware to play the same content. All so we don't have to drive to the store and buy a disc (that you can play on ANYONE's machine.) How did that happen?

Did I mention that is amazing? I think I'll go give my money to eBay for some used DVDs. That way I still don't have to leave the house.

Pass the Hot Pockets and Doritos!

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not all of us, just the ignorant or hopelessly devoted. i.e. the target groups of every advertising agency.

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

I stick with a DVD player; I don't have to go outside - just order from Amazon or B&N and get a better price than a retail store. Also the DVD version usually has extras and captions.

20. ATimson macrumors regular

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

I was thinking the same thing. Public Domain is not the word; if you tape or record a TV show and pass copies around, this is not quite legal. While it's legal to record the program it's not legal to pass copies or sell them.If it was Public Domain you could legally sell copies.

22. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Hi, I'm bumping this thread because I want to see if there is any new answers to the problem of removing DRM from iTunes Videos?

I bought 3 shows from iTunes that are each 42 minutes long would like to watch them on my TV (via DVD).

I'm not interested in an Apple TV because .I am not a hermit and may play these DVDs outside of my house

Are there any ways to remove the DRM from videos purchased in the iTunes store? Thanks.

PS. This isn't a moral/ethical issue. Just like how people buy songs and burn them to CDs and can play those CDs ANYWHERE, is exactly what I would like to do with these shows. I don't want to have to play my shows on a computer that needs an internet connection to authorize it.

23. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I would say that it is a moral/ethical issue as you are trying to skirt the DRM. Package your argument any way you want but it all comes out the same.

24. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

When Apple put DRM on music, they put instructions on their site how to remove it via burning a copy of the song and ripping it back to iTunes..was that a moral/ethical issue?

Why is this different?

At the end of the day, I bought a show. I'm not uploading that show on torrents. I am not making copies for friends. I want to watch it on my comfortable couch and a large widescreen TV.

Anyways, I found out how to remove DRM: M4V Converter Plus.

Now, since I can watch movies/shows on any DVD Player, I will buy most my media digitally.

25. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

You are 100000 bazillion times correct regarding Apple because by following their method, you are guaranteed to lose quality, which is the point of the exercise. But you will notice that they did not allow direct digital conversions. Regardless, I agree with you. I was being devils avocado (Tracy Jordon - 30 Rock :) ) for a moment.