Removing internal SuperDrive and putting into external case

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Schismz, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Schismz macrumors regular

I'm looking for some advice on an external case for a DVD/CD drive.

I have a 2010 Mac Pro, and plan to remove the internal "SuperDrive" to make more room for SSDs. I would like to put the internal drive that came with the Mac, into a case that allows me to boot the drive when necessary -- the only situation I can really think of is new OS/X updates, because if I honestly calculate how many times I've needed/used a SuperDrive in any of my equipment (MBP, MP) in the last half decade, it averages out to: maybe once a year, if that. In short, for me personally, it's just this relic gathering dust and taking up space in my computer for no reason.

I do not want/need a bluray drive, I do realize I could purchase one for something like $300 but I just don't want yet another device, I'm never going to use for anything.

My question is: will this case (which appears to support eSATA, FW800, FW400 and USB2), allow me to remove the internal Mac Pro SuperDrive, put it into the case, and THEN BOOT FROM IT IF NECESSARY (such as when installing OS/X point-level upgrades)?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MRSFW8U2/

It's slightly over-priced for a case, but if it fulfills the criteria of Just Working, I'm fine with that. I've found USB2 cases for less than 1/3rd the price, but am slightly leery of what chipset the controller may be using, and unsure whether or not OS/X would be able to boot from such a device.

I am also working under the assumption that by removing the SuperDrive, I can now plug in 2 3.5" SSDs, into the 2 free SATA ports & power connectors at the top of the Mac Pro tower (it is a 2010 12-core model, where both optical bays are SATA, and I will be installing two OCZ Colossus 3.5" SSDs into the bays, using OWC's 3.5" to 5.25" drive mounts).

Thanks for any input, I realize this may be a dumb question, I've always tossed some kinda 3.5" drive into the lower optical bay, but after realizing I need more space to slot another 3.5" and never use the optical for anything whatsoever, I'd like to get rid of it and just have it around as an external device for the few times I need it.

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

3. Schismz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much, that simplifies things! Okay, sure, I'll take another drive for $5, why not.