Renaming folders on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JavaWizKid, Apr 18, 2009.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

I've only realized there is no option to rename a folder on a mac right click menu. You either have to double click it slowly, press enter or right click then "Get Info". It is probably actually easier on PC to rename folders :O

Major FLAW!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is only "easier" if that is the way you are used to doing it
    The two OSes work differently... expecting OSX to work like Windows is the flaw

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I'm used to using OSX now. I've been using it for 10 months. I mean for people adopting OSX as their main OS, how do they know how to rename folders?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, hitting enter while the folder is highlighted to rename it is so hard :rolleyes:

5. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes but you know enter renames the folder. New Mac users don't.

6. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

A Mac User wouldn't necessarily know that F2 renames a folder in Windows, or that Windows even has context sensitive menus. Its not easier or harder on either system. Once you find out how to do it, its very simple. Its certainly not a major flaw.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

you could try different things like... clicking on the name once...

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I found renaming files and folders a little more difficult in OSX than MacOS 9 and earlier. It caused me to become more organized and name things better to start with.

9. srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

Slow double click the file name, then type in a new name. How much easier could it be?:confused:

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The most intuitive way, for someone not used to anything, on any OS is to click on the name. I work with many people who are almost computer illiterate. Many people don't know "right-clicking" from clicking.

Select the file. Click on the name. Start typing.

This works in Windows - at least as far back as Windows 2000.

For myself, who has done 99% of development for Windows, but uses Mac for everything else (home business and personal), it's nice to be able to rename items by clicking. But, when I'm in the Windows world, I get in "right-click" mode, so probably use a mix of that and clicking on name. Another poster said this too: Why would you expect a different operating system to behave exactly the same way as another? Windows has "adopted" more Mac-like features than the other way around. You do know originally (probably until version 3, but don't remember exactly), control-v,x,c weren't available in Windows (at least system wide)? They came from command-v,x,c on the Mac. Prior to that, it was some combination of the page edit keys - or, keyboard navigation to menus (alt-f,e, etc.)

So it's more than a stretch to call the rename method(s) used in OS-X a "flaw".

11. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

:D

Erm, but you mentioned in your first post that one of the options for renaming a folder is to press enter?

:confused:

12. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

It's not even a double-click. You just click once on any selected file name.

The alternative is what, right clicking, then scrolling to the option in a menu?

13. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden