Repaired MBP acting buggy...am I just paranoid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobfitz14, Jan 12, 2013.

1. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

I had my hard drive replaced by Apple (covered by the warranty thankfully) and ever since it has been acting a bit strange. What I mean is it can be occasionally unresponsive (i.e. slow screen wake up response when lid is opened, beach-ball'ed without many apps running) and outright underperforming for its hardware specs...

I was curious if it was possible to transfer a bug/virus through the Time Machine backup? I don't think this is likely but was always curious if this could happen anyways.

I don't know what is causing my MBP to act so strange. It used to be so speedy and reliable, I should probably buy more RAM.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

When does it beachball? Have you looked at the Activity Monitor? Check your RAM usage.

3. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

It always beachballs on infrequent boot ups, opening iTunes/the like without having anything else open, loading large PDF's or heavy Chrome usage, using Adobe programs.

I look at my RAM usage and I would definitely benefit from an upgrade but even simple tasks can take a while. For example, with having everything closed and plenty of free RAM it can take up to a minute for Chrome to open, it just keeps on bouncing... Could it be processor related? Or side effects from limited RAM?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you have lots of free RAM and Chrome keeps bouncing there is a reading delay which in turn means a read issue. Meaning the issue is at the HDD side of things.

5. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

They could have replaced your HDD with a different brand. Some are louder than others and some are slower to "spin-up" than others or have slower response time or onboard cache. The only spec they have to match when replacing a bad hard drive is the RPM and size.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Wrong. RPM could be higher and it doesn't matter. It'll be faster to load at higher RPM rating, but it will make more noise.

7. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Oye, when I said match spec that means as good or better. I think we all know that about Apple.

8. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

Sorry for the delayed response. When my hard drive was replaced they also replaced the cable that connects it to the motherboard. Not sure if this negates a read issue and points the finger at other hardware like the motherboard?