Repairing 2011 MBP Logic Board by yourself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ilian92, Jun 2, 2017.

1. ilian92 macrumors regular

My Late 2011 15'' MBP recently failed for the second time with the infamous GPU issue. The first time was in February 2015 so Apple repaired it for free, but I'm out of luck this time as the repair program is now over. The price I was quoted was close to 500 EUR for the replacement, which I don't feel like investing in a machine this old.

Question is, has anyone been able to repair the logic board themselves? Or maybe buying a board only from somewhere and replacing the old one? Ifixit has a guide but was wondering if people had their own experiences with this already. :)

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The board itself isn't that difficult to take out and put back if you're careful.

There isn't really a "fix" for those boards. I've had success in the past re-flowing, but it's generally considered a temporary measure.

3. ilian92 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah this is what I'm gathering as well.

On a slightly different note, are boards that you can buy on Ebay or other places "reliable"? As in, you can find something that's not someone else's failed board somehow patched up to work, rather normal replacement parts that should do the job?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

My opinion only, but no longer worth the repair costs.
    Time to move on…

5. ilian92 thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, mine too, but if I can get the machine working again within 200 EUR or so would be nice to have as a hand down or backup machine.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Not really.

They should have a sticker with the original mac's serial number on it, but that'll probably have been removed.

It's a pot-shot. Even the boards you get from apple aren't really "fixed".

7. ilian92 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh snap! :D I'll have a read through, might as well at this stage (buying a new machine anyway).

Yeah that's true. Which is another thing pushing towards not doing the Apple repair, knowing it will eventually fail again sooner or later.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try an industrial heat gun directly on the dGPU. Just mind the temperature does not get excessive. What you want to so is melt the solder so it will reflow, not cook off the chip.

Others have had a level of success by baking the logic board. Personally I would go with the heat gun and protect the rest of the board. Trial and error, starting with 100C and moving upwards.

Q-6

9. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

I saw this, probably not a good idea, but a low budget way to fix a crippled machine.

10. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

There's a seller on eBay called "CODE2424." You send them your computer and they fix it for you. They usually have it back to your door step within 3 days after they receive it. I had an MBP repaired by them and they do good work.

11. ilian92 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. The heat gun/cooking techniques are something I'm generally reluctant to do, I'll probably try to just disable the dGPU using the guide from above and see if this gets it to at least function. I might repair it for cheaper at a 3rd party.

Not in the US so can't send it over to these guys, but I might find a local place where they do it cheaper than Apple.

Overall I'm pretty set on buying a new machine now, just a matter of what's best value for money right now and I'll keep you posted if I managed to successfully get my 2011 working again. ;)

12. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

So does that mean you're still on Earth somewhere, or are you hanging out with the Mars Rover? :)

13. ilian92 thread starter macrumors regular

I have to say the Mars Rover is a very competent little thing but repairing a Macbook Pro is not its strength. So I need to keep looking. ;)