Replace 2.93 quad with 3.2 quad - worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bobbydaz, Oct 29, 2010.

1. bobbydaz macrumors regular

I need to source a new mac pro for our studio and normally when we need to buy a new mac I take the opportunity to upgrade mine and pass on my old mac onto the new designer.

Now my question is do I replace my 2009 2.93 with the 2010 3.2 or is it really not worth all the hassle? To be honest I am totally happy with my 2009 MP and if the performance gain is negligible then I might be better just getting a 2010 2.8 for the new guy and stick with what I've got.

Budget isn't really an issue and if I wanted to I could probably push for a 3.33 hex but again am I going to see much real world difference in Photoshop, InDesign etc? I know migration assistant helps make the process of transferring from one mac to anther easier but it is still an extra job to do when you are really busy trying to get work done.

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

3. bobbydaz thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for that but I'm UK based. The best deal I can find is on an old 2009 2.66 but it's only £150 cheaper than a 2010 2.8 so not a massive saving.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does it have to be a Mac Pro or would an iMac be sufficient for the new guy? The performance is around the same but you lose upgradeability.

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Doesn't UK have a refurb store?

cheers
    JohnG

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

UK does have a refurb store but currently there are no refurb Mac Pros available. According to Refurb.Me, there hasn't been any Mac Pros for a while

7. bobbydaz thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely has to be a Mac Pro. Sounds selfish but I am more interested if there is any benefit to me taking up the offer of a better mac than I've currently got rather than saving money. Is a 2010 MP going to be that much different to my 2009 is my main question I guess. When I made the jump last year from G5 to MP there was a noticeable improvement, but is it worth doing another change over if it's only going to save me a couple of seconds in day to day use?

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

2009 and 2010 machines are basically exactly the same.
    What you get with a 2010 is slightly faster CPU's (with the option of 6-cores) and faster graphics cards.

They can be up to 50% faster than last years models, but it all comes down to the options you chose.

From which model do you intend to upgrade, and which 2010 model are you intending to buy?

Edit: Should have read the first post, my bad.

So you've got a 2009 quad 2.93. Apparently the 2010 2.8 won't be an upgrade, the 3.2GHz will give you 9% better performance. Not worth upgrading if you ask me.
    Even the 3.33GHz hex core will give you a marginally better performance of 13% in single threaded tasks. Your software can not use more than 4 cores, so multitasking performance of the hex core doesn't really matter in this case.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

An SSD would probably be the biggest upgrade but that can be done on your current machine. 3.2GHz is ~9% faster than 2.93GHz so in real world, there isn't going to be a noticeable difference with Photoshop.

10. bobbydaz thread starter macrumors regular

I have an SSD here sitting on my desk, just waiting to make a decision on whether it goes in this mac or a new one. I need to make my decision today and order a new machine ether way.

11. neckarb macrumors regular

Overclock... If all your worried about is CPU speed then just bump it up a notch.

12. bobbydaz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that's kind of the answer I was expecting. I guess most people would always take a new slightly better mac over their existing one, but for me it's more about the time I need to invest transferring everything over.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How? Overclocking under OS X is not possible as far as I know.

14. neckarb macrumors regular

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

16. neckarb macrumors regular

Ahh didn't realise apologies.

Although thinking about it you could Overclock in windows and as the CPU has some storage on the later Mac Pro's the clock speed would be retained in OSX

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have any proofs that it works? At least with GPU OCing with iMac, the clock speeds are reseted when rebooted thus it will only work under Windows.

18. neckarb macrumors regular

I know that when you set the FSB with Zdnet Clock and reboot into windows it retains the FSB, it makes sense that it works the other way round

Also GPU overclocking in Mac Pro's is retained between windows and OSX, my 5870 is overclocked in both.

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You are just assuming that it works the other way around. That is not a concrete proof that it works.

How do you know the clocks under OS X? AFAIK there is no utility that tells you that.

20. neckarb macrumors regular

Just run xbench once without increasing clock, then re-run after clocking up...

Also, if you use Zdnet clock in OSX with a 2006 mac pro then try to restart you get a kernal panic, flashing power button etc as the CPU has no memory, the same happens if you try to do this in windows and then reset...

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What I've heard and read over the years fight against what you are saying. Can you provide some concrete proofs that support your statements, such as articles, screenshots or links to threads?

I spend a lot time in these forums so I would be extremely surprised if you were the only one that has OCed his Mac Pro as I've never heard of this before. The ZDnet utility works for some Mac Pros but otherwise all OCing has to be done under Windows and clocks are reseted when rebooted back to OS X.

I've heard it so many times from so many different people that I can't just believe what you're saying. I want to see concrete proofs.

22. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I don't know about the pre 2009 models, but anything later than that can not be overclocked (at least CPU wise).

23. neckarb macrumors regular

My Mac Pro is a 2006, dosen't benefit this thread. You cant reboot after overclocking pre-2009 google it, you can find lots of people who overclock in OSX then boot into windows, no idea about the other way round, but logically it makes more sense to say it would work than it wouldn't as your doing the same thing in windows as OSX, increasing the FSB

Try 3rd post down on this thread: http://forum.hardmac.com/index.php?showtopic=1639&mode=threaded&pid=8998

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Current Mac Pros don't have FSB

25. neckarb macrumors regular