Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Can this be done.

Simple take off fan, wifi board and thats it? Or does whole board have to slide out as per ifixit?

I only want to change OEM Drive i dont want to add an additional.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
In order to fit the alignment screws, the logic board must be pulled out at least a few centimeters. When I replaced the stock HDD with an SSD, I did not pull the logical board out and just left the SSD floating within the carrier with it being fastened to the antenna plate.

When I installed the 2nd SSD, I torn the mini completely apart and reinstalled everything properly.

Last edited:

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I did not move the logic board out when I did mine although I am still having a bit of difficulty snapping it back securely into place. The good news though is that the SATA cable is connected securely to the SATA port though the lid of the Mini is just resting on top. Though I can confirm that you do not need to move out the logic board as OWC says.

Supra Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Texas
Yes this can be done without difficulty.

There is a trick, I couldn't get the alignment screws in the slots unless I picked up the mini and turned it, I guess upside up since you start upside down. Gravity will cause the drive to fall in alignment of the slots.

Did this with my SSD fairly quickly as I too only did one drive, so the drive is mounted on four points and secure.

Good Luck.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I have done many you can twist and turn it upside down and just about any hdd can get in.

the 1tb samsung has proved to be most difficult hdd.

The hardest ssd was a kingston 64gb.

thin and undersized ssd's are easy.

this goes for all 2011 mac minis except the server.

due to the 2 hdds in place you need to slide the logic board just a bit to pull the top drive out.

there is a trick to avoid that once you take the silver screen out screw in a longer pair of screws to the hdd and you will get some leverage to get it out.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Using the wifi plate screws without the plate help place the mounting screws with grommets. Mechanics usually refer to these as jacking screws for alignment.

nydennis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
If I was opening up the Mini, I'd probably just go ahead and get the adapter and use the OEM as the additional drive. It takes time but I was able to do it without moving the logic board, although honestly I wish I had moved it to make life easier.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I have done many you can twist and turn it upside down and just about any hdd can get in.

the 1tb samsung has proved to be most difficult hdd.

The hardest ssd was a kingston 64gb.

thin and undersized ssd's are easy.

this goes for all 2011 mac minis except the server.

due to the 2 hdds in place you need to slide the logic board just a bit to pull the top drive out.

there is a trick to avoid that once you take the silver screen out screw in a longer pair of screws to the hdd and you will get some leverage to get it out.

So I bet if I was trying to install a Samsung 830 vs. a 470 I would have had no problem aligning the screws?

billib

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
USA
2nd SSD HD Alignment Screws

So I bet if I was trying to install a Samsung 830 vs. a 470 I would have had no problem aligning the screws?
I had bought a kit from iFixit designed for adding a 2nd HD.
It came with the alignment screws for the second HD and
Apples proprietary SATA cable. I installed the Samsung 830
in the empty HD spot which is the top HD position when the
mini is oriented correctly. When you install the HD the mini is
upside down so its on the bottom. I had to jiggle the mini around
a bit flipping it upright in order to get the alignment screws in the
Samsung to line up with the slot in the back of the enclosure.
You'll know the HD screws are in the proper slot when the logic
board tray can easily slide home. It wasn't difficult, just take
your time.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Being that it was my first time installing anything into a computer let alone an SSD, I'd say everything went off without a hitch. I will get better as time goes on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.