Replace iPhone 4S for $50 under AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by infantrytrophy, Jan 8, 2014.

1. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

Replace iPhone 4S for $50 under Applecare?

My iPhone 4S (32 GB, Verizon) is 2 years old. Works well, except that the battery life seems to be a little less compared to when it was new. Covered under AppleCare (expires in 10 days), an Apple Store rep did a battery test indicating that battery capacity is 80% of normal.

I can replace this for a new 32GB iPhone 4S under the AppleCare warranty for $50. My Verizon contract also ends in 10 days. My choices are:
    1. Get new iPhone 4S for $50 from Apple, continue with Verizon (no contract).
    2. Buy new iPhone 4S (8GB) from Verizon for $0.99 or Apple for $0 with 2-yr Verizon contract. Then sell my current phone for $110 to Gazelle or maybe $150-$175 on Ebay.
    3. Buy new iPhone 5S (32GB) from Verizon for $299 w/2-yr contract, sell old phone as above.

Verizon LTE service in our area is OK (not great, but OK), service at our home is bad but I have a Verizon network extender for in-home calls.

With T-Mobile shaking up the competitive environment, I would like to avoid a new contract for now, maybe wait to see if T-Mobile’s LTE buildout progresses or if Verizon responds to the competition to lower plan prices when you go off contract. Option 1 is basically a temporizing strategy - wait to see what happens over the next few months. Option 2 pays me a little to offset Verizon’s contract terms. Option 3 offers a new iPhone 5S but locks into a contract.

Any thoughts?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Go with the $50 option. Why? You'll be clear of any contract by doing so.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You can replace it and then wait and get the iPhone 6.

Or replace the 4s and get an iPhone 5s.

If you go with the 5s you're gaining more camera features, faster processor, and Airdrop etc. You have to way if it's something you want or can you wait for the iPhone 6 to come out.

Either way you still can sell your iPhone 4s for $$ to put towards the next phone.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The 5S came out three months ago. You are going to wait for the 6 three times longer than the 5S has already been out... It seems people always recomend waiting for the new phone five days after the current one releases. It's amazing...

My suggestion, assuming you WANT the 5S, is sell your 4S, mention it still has ten days of AppleCare, and use that money towards a new 5S.

Even if you wanted to go TMO, just pay your ETF if/when you do. You can get on TMO's network, including LTE, with the Verizon 5S. I see literally NO downsides here.