iPhone 7(+) Replace iPhone 7+ Display or Sell as-is?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmk1974, Feb 16, 2018.

  1. dmk1974 macrumors 68020


    Sep 16, 2008
    I have an iPhone 7+ 256gb that for some odd reason, decided to have the home button fail. Not entirely though, which is strange. The fingerprint reading works perfectly fine. But I can't "press" the button at all. And no other issues with the phone at all. The phone actually detected the problem and it automatically popped up the software button on the screen (I think it's called Assistive Touch).

    It's out of warranty now, but took it to the local Apple Store Genius Bar anyway. They reviewed it and said the entire display would need to be replaced which costs $169+tax (so about $183). They checked it and said there was no water damage or anything but odd that it failed.

    Now, I'm thinking of perhaps getting an 8+, but have a few options.
    A.) Save the money and just deal with having a fingerprint button plus a software button as it is now
    B.) Replace the display for ~$183 and keep the 7+
    C.) Replace the display for ~$183 and sell the 7+ (maybe ~$500) to put towards a new 8+
    D.) Don't replace the display and sell it as-is at a reduced cost (maybe ~$300).

    What would you do? Thanks!
  2. fitcious macrumors regular

    Nov 2, 2014
    I would do 1 and wait until sept for the new iPhones. By then, I would also suggest fixing the home button and battery and then selling it.
  3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor


    Sep 21, 2012
    In the middle of several books.
    I doubt you will get $500 for the phone.

    If you need a new phone, get one. Waiting for the new model when one of the current offerings will suffice is not prudent. As soon as you get the latest and greatest model, another one is right behind.

    I would sell the current phone, and use the money towards a new phone.
  4. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020


    Sep 16, 2008
    I didn't think about the battery, but it is at about 84% with over 400 cycles. I believe that is now reduced to $29+tax to swap out by end of 2018. Maybe worth doing along with the screen.

    What is a 256gb 7+ going for then? From scanning Swappa, Ebay, and Craigslist, I'd think that's a reasonable amount to net for that version due to the storage.
  5. raqball macrumors 68000

    Sep 11, 2016
    If you list it for sale as broken most people will shy away. They want a phone they can plop the SIM card in and rock on. The people who would make you an offer on a broken phone will probably offer laughably low amounts..

    I'd either fix it and keep it OR fix it and sell it for a current iPhone. I agree that waiting for the next phone in September is silly since that's still 7 months away, maybe 8 with availability and shipping times.

    So I'd go with B) or C)
  6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Jul 12, 2016
    I would also repair your iPhone. It will have a higher resale value and Will reach a much broader audience. Broken iPhones drop significantly in value, not to mention the battery being replaced with documentation is a selling point to the buyer.
  7. fitcious macrumors regular

    Nov 2, 2014
    I def think you can get $500 for a 7+ 256 gig....but it depends on color. JB for sure, silver or matte black, not too sure

    I agree with fixing the button, but me personally I’ll do it all together with the battery.
  8. jav6454 macrumors P6


    Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Fix it and keep it.
  9. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

    Jun 17, 2012
    Fix it and keep using it. The 7 Plus is a great phone. You'll get many more years of use out of it.
  10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you like your 7+, I would get Apple to replace the screen so that all is working again. Come September you will be able to sell your perfectly working 7+ For the most money. Just what I would do
  11. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020


    Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I should just get the screen replaced. Battery maybe now or wait a bit. But I figure if they are opening it up, might as well take care of both.

Share This Page

10 February 16, 2018