Replace new MacBook Air high res screen with a lower res one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mr Dobey, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Mr Dobey macrumors 6502

The 1440x900 resolution of the new MacBook Air 13.3" screen is simply too high, making everything way too small and straining on my eyes. Is there a replacement LED LCD panel with a lower resolution (1280x800 like the old MBA) that could be retrofitted?

This is literally the biggest reason I am second guessing a MacBook Air to a 15" MacBook Pro. I like 1440x900 on 15" but not 13.3"

2. Corax macrumors 6502

Corax

Why like that? Just set the resolution lower!? (System Preferences > Hardware > Displays)
    I'm almost certain the old one will not fit in your new Air.

3. Mr Dobey thread starter macrumors 6502

Yuk, I hate the look of a screen at a different res than native :(

I really hope the old screen is swappable.

4. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Snow Leopard doesn't have OS-wide resolution independence yet, which would mean that all the windows, text, icons, etc would be really jagged and bad.

5. Corax macrumors 6502

Corax

Yes true, but would someone, who's eyesight isn't good enough for 1440x900 on a 13", notice?

6. Mr Dobey thread starter macrumors 6502

If OS X was resolution independent it would be fantastic. I love the look of PC laptops with super high res screens such as the VAIO 13.3" Z series with a 1920x1200 resolution! But windows you can set the entire OS to 150% zoom so everything is large enough to be useable and still looks great.

7. MrMacNasty macrumors member

How about you just go to the eye doctor and get some glasses instead? If you already have glasses, maybe it's time to get your prescription checked.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

There is a company out there that replaces the glossy screen with a matte one. Perhaps they could also downgrade the resolution.

9. yegon macrumors 68020

Go use a Sony Vaio P, experience 1600x768 on an 8" screen, then your MBA will look like large print!

10. Mr Dobey thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been to an eye doctor lately, my eyes are fine. My eyes simply get tired after looking at tiny text.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

My eyes are crap, too many years of woodworking and close-up design work.

That said, I bought a 15" Hi-Res MBP last spring and although the native resolution was very high, I simply used the zoom function in Firefox to set sites like this forum to display a little bit higher.

The PPI of the native 13" MBA is almost identical to that of the 15" Hi-Res so the overall impact is almost identical....I can freely move between the two machines and they don't look different to my eyes.

That said, the 13" MBA screen looks just fine to me. I realize vision is a highly subjective experience but for my eyes, its fine. The 11" on the other hand....whole 'nuther story.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

13. Tasc macrumors newbie

I'm having the same reaction to my 13" mba. I've been using a 13" 1280 screen for the past couple years and this new screen looks tiny and uncomfortable. However, I've been forcing myself to keep trying it and after only a few days it is starting to seem more normal. In fact, when I booted up my old 13" mbp 1280 screen, things looked large and bulky by comparison. So I would give your eyes/brain a good week to try and adjust and make your decision after that.

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Have you tried setting the resolution lower? Just wondering if you have actually tried it with the new MacBook Air.

15. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

^ Speaking for myself, changing it to either 1280x800 or 1024x768 looks like crap. It only looks good on the native res.

But zooming the image (reverse pinch) is useful.

16. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Like others said before, this will make everything very blurry. Non-native resolutions are unbearable.

17. rkahl macrumors 65816

How bout hitting control + 2finger scroll up?

18. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

you'd have to do that for every single application every time you open/close it. not very convenient :/

19. miata macrumors 6502

Apple really is behind on resolution independence. That is the right answer. You should be able to pick a DPI setting based on our vision and go.

20. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Yeah, my dad is getting old, (not blind, just normal aging) and he is having the same issues on his 17" mac pro.

I love apple, but they need to fix this problem with lion, and not wait any longer.

Maybe if Steve Jobs eyes start aging things will finally be fixed....

21. miata macrumors 6502

Maybe his hearing went out before his eyes.:eek:

22. weckart macrumors 68040

I am not blaming Jobs for this. His natural inclination is to put lower PPI screens in Apple notebooks. I don't think he favours anything above 100ppi himself and I vaguely remember his saying something to that effect.

Apple has usually trailed the rest of the PC market in screen resolution and the shift in the new MBAs is just bringing Apple up to date.

You will find yourself heavily outvoted by the higher ppi camp (myself included) if you think that the newer resolution screens are a shortcoming that Apple needs to address.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

the other option is to get a 13" MBP which is currently running at a lower resolution.

I'm struggling myself in determining which machine fits my needs better. A smaller lighter (albeit more expensive) MBA with a higher resolution, or a more expandable, less expensive (albeit larger/heavier) MacBook Pro that has a more eye friendly resolution.

24. Kenrik macrumors 6502

25. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I have the 11.6 inch MBA and have found the Command +, Command - option very helpful. It works for me and my eyes aren't the best, that's for sure!