Replace Text Alert Tones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ephailey, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ephailey macrumors member

I tried to search for this and could not find.

If I want to replace one of the text alert tones with another that I prefer, how do I do that? I remember reading at one time about people who used the titles of the iPhone alerts on a different alert tone.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Without Jailbreaking there is no way to use any other tone for text messages other than what Apple has included.

3. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Personally I feel it's about time Apple includes some new ringtones and alert tones. We really don't have many default ones, most of those suck, and they are damn near 4 years old now. What do you think the chances are iPhone 4 will have some nice new tones?

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, lol. Lukily I'll be distracted either way with the beauty of the device. :p

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I'm not one to complain about iPhone features. I'm usually happy with what I get, even if it's missing something that I feel should be there... but this is definitely one feature I would love to have.

I miss my R2-D2 sound text messages.

5. Soulsonant macrumors newbie

Holy cow that's brilliant!

I'm currently using the Mario 1-UP sound, but this sounds too good to pass up!

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Isn't it? My cousin showed me this years ago... ever since, I've always used R2-D2 sounds for text messages! It's absolutely perfect! Unfortunately, since I've owned the iPhone, I haven't been able to and this thread reminded me of that.

Now I'm seriously considering JailBreaking just for this reason!

7. Resist macrumors 68030

Or you could use the Textfree Unlimited app, it comes with a bunch of sounds and it's free.

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Only problem with that is they're not really texting your real phone number. I'm not a huge fan of work-arounds.

While this may work well for many people, it's not for me. :)

9. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

I made my own SMS tone of a woman screaming. It was just a 2 second clip and from your pocket, it could easily be mistaken as someone actually screaming somewhere nearby. I've gotten a couple startled looks.

10. mojo8472 macrumors member

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Mine is Dave Grohl yelling, "HEY!" at a concert I attended a few years ago. People are always startled by my screaming purse when it goes off.

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

As has already been said there is currently no way to change the SMS tones (or any other system sounds, for that matter) without jailbreaking. It's really too bad, because changing these other system tones could easily be incorporated into the current ringtone selection screen without too much trouble.

13. ephailey thread starter macrumors member

Alternatives?

I thought there was some discussion awhile back about a way to do this by deleting an Apple text tone and replacing it with a re named (same name as the deleted text tone) text tone.

14. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

And what's worse for all of us who don't jailbreak is when you're around all your friends/family that all have iPhones, (and who doesn't) when the same text sound goes off for everyone, no one knows who's phone it is!
    C'mon Apple, JEEZ...do something different!

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh man, that's an awesome ringtone, I just added that to my phone so my texts are now using that sweet :D

16. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I know that this subject has been beaten to death in various posts, but I, too, find this to be one of the MOST annoying features MISSING from the iPhone.
    My crappy RAZR allowed me to do this long ago and for the life of me, I don't understand why Apple doesn't allow for this small aspect of customization.:mad:

17. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I assume this isn't one of the 100 features of iOS 4?

18. Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

We will be able to change our sms tones as soon as they find a way to make money from it. We couldn't change ringtones either until they started selling ability to make ringtones from purchased songs. And then they later sold premade ringtones.

19. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Yes, except that you can make ringtones using Garage Band. That doesn't disprove your theory because you are either buying the Mac or Garage Band, too!
    But, hey, I'd LOVE to be able to make an SMS tone using Garage Band in the same way you can make a Ringtone.:)

20. Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

That's the nice side effect to them selling tones, we will be able to make our own. Once they are given a place in iTunes, then someone will make a program to make the tones and import them to iTunes.

I used to use Garage Band for making my ringtones, but found iPhoneringtonemaker to be much easier.

21. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

my ringtones

I use three sounds...

the first is related to work...

the second is the Oompa Loompa call from Charley and the Chocolate Factory

and the third is the mac start up sound.

22. ephailey thread starter macrumors member

Try again

Trying again to get this answered:

"I thought there was some discussion awhile back about a way to do this by deleting an Apple text tone and replacing it with a re named (same name as the deleted text tone) text tone."

Thanks.

23. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Your question was already answered.

WITHOUT JAILBREAKING, it's not possible. What you're describing above by replacing the apple tone with another one, is done when the phone is jailbroken.

24. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Coming soon.... to iPhone 5.... CUSTOMIZE YOUR SOUNDS

25. Resist macrumors 68030

Actually Textfree Unlimited now does use a real phone number. When you register you pick the number from a list for your area code. You will be using a different phone number for texting and if people call that number they will hear a message telling them it is not for voice. Currently Textfree does not have MMS, but they are getting it soon.

I have told all my contacts that the number is for texting only and I will soon be canceling my AT&T text plan, saving me money.

Oh, Textfree Unlimited does have a small ad at the bottom of the screen. If you don't want ads, you have to pay $6 per year to remove them. The ads don't bother me, so all my texting is totally free!