Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, Apple launched their much anticipated Apple Music streaming service. The iPhone app includes dedicated tabs called "For You", "New", "Radio", "Connect", and "My Music". The first two tabs offer areas for music discovery, while "Radio" provides themed stations as well as Apple's own Beats 1 Radio. Meanwhile, the last tab, "My Music" provides you with access to the rest of your existing music catalog as well as any new songs you might add from Apple Music.

The "Connect" tab, however, is a new service from Apple which is described as a place where "musicians give their fans a closer look at their work, their inspirations, and their world." Similar to a social network, it allows users to "follow" their favorite artists and see additional content.

connectless.jpg

If "Connect" doesn't interest you, MacRumors reader Eric points out a handy tip to replace the "Connect" tab with a dedicated "Playlists" tab which he describes as "much more useful".

Under Settings -> General -> Restrictions, Apple allows you to disable "Apple Music Connect" which removes the Connect tab and provides the alternate Playlist functionality.

Thanks Eric

Article Link: Replace the 'Apple Connect' Tab with a 'Playlists' Tab in Apple Music

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Thank you!

While I will probably start utilizing Apple Connect, for now I don't have the time to use it, or appreciate it. It'll be nice to have my playlists there instead.

Reactions: S G and zilchfox

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007

Earlier today, Apple launched their much anticipated Apple Music streaming service. The iPhone app includes dedicated tabs called "For You", "New", "Radio", "Connect", and "My Music". The first two tabs offer areas for music discovery, while "Radio" provides themed stations as well as Apple's own Beats 1 Radio. Meanwhile, the last tab, "My Music" provides you with access to the rest of your existing music catalog as well as any new songs you might add from Apple Music.

The "Connect" tab, however, is a new service from Apple which is described as a place where "musicians give their fans a closer look at their work, their inspirations, and their world." Similar to a social network, it allows users to "follow" their favorite artists and see additional content.

connectless.jpg

If "Connect" doesn't interest you, MacRumors reader Eric points out a handy tip to replace the "Connect" tab with a dedicated "Playlists" tab which he describes as "much more useful".

Under Settings -> General -> Restrictions, Apple allows you to disable "Apple Music Connect" which removes the Connect tab and provides the alternate Playlist functionality.

Thanks Eric

Article Link: Replace the 'Apple Connect' Tab with a 'Playlists' Tab in Apple Music
Any way to get the SONGS tab back?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Gotta love those playlists, "Snappiest Mix", "Listen while reading MacRumors". The custom artwork was a great touch by Apple, much better than the album thumbnails anyway.

If you turn off Apple Music you're left with My Music, Playlists, and Radio. It actually surprises me that iTunes Radio can't be restricted while the iTunes Store itself can.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Connect seems much more artist friendly than Ping.

My band is on iTunes and we make over $1,000 a month from downloads. But we were not deemed fit to join Ping as an artist.

To me that was the main reason Ping failed. Social media is about turning your friends on to new music, pictures, videos etc. When your only artists are Lady Gaga and Elton John no one is excited to share them. Your friends already know about those artists.

With Connect, my band was approved today as a verified artist. And if that Trent Reznor video is honest, it looks like any band on iTunes, no matter how small, can become verified. That gives me some hope that Connect will take off and actually work as a way for artists to give (and sell) new content directly to fans.

Perhaps using it as a chat box will be something we can do to promote our Connect page. My hopes are up. Don't disable it so fast!

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for this. At this time, connect doesn't interest me (maybe I'm just not getting it, or maybe it's just not for me). Either way, thanks for this tip. Very nice to get my playlists up there instead of connect.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Thanks for this. At this time, connect doesn't interest me (maybe I'm just not getting it, or maybe it's just not for me). Either way, thanks for this tip. Very nice to get my playlists up there instead of connect.

I'm not getting how people are not interested in Connect... do you have a favorite artist or band that you really love to listen to and flow? If so, what if they are putting up previously unreleased tracks for free on Connect, or behind the scenes rehearsal videos, wouldn't that be of interest to you? That's what Connect is all about.

All of my music projects from my record label have been approved for Connect and I've started to post previously unreleased songs, photo sessions and a short analog synth test video. I think Connect is going to be the thing that really changes the music world for indie artists... as long as people "get" it.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I'm not getting how people are not interested in Connect... do you have a favorite artist or band that you really love to listen to and flow? If so, what if they are putting up previously unreleased tracks for free on Connect, or behind the scenes rehearsal videos, wouldn't that be of interest to you? That's what Connect is all about.

All of my music projects from my record label have been approved for Connect and I've started to post previously unreleased songs, photo sessions and a short analog synth test video. I think Connect is going to be the thing that really changes the music world for indie artists... as long as people "get" it.

Most of my favorite artists are dead. I know new info can be posted by the people that maintain that station but I'm not that interested actually. I don't do artist adoration, I'm just a music addict who listens a lot (really a lot).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not joining Apple Music gets rid of the For You and New and by disabling the Connect per this article leaves me with the My Music, Playlists, and Radio tabs.
Which are those tabs beta testers already get used to. I think it's great.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I use Restrictions extensively to disable some annoying popup windows when using a handful of "apps" coming from "unknown" well-known publishers in a "country".
I now know I can simply disable all those Apple music tabs in iTunes by simply clicking "Go to my music".
I hope when I use iOS 9 beta 3, I can still use both restrictions and "Go to my music" to get rid of those annoying "For me", "Connect" tabs which I may never see.
I want to get rid of Apple music extensively.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

I don't follow any artist on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram or Soundcloud, I highly doubt I will start to do so now on Connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.