Replace the 'Apple Connect' Tab with a 'Playlists' Tab in Apple Music

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 30, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier today, Apple launched their much anticipated Apple Music streaming service. The iPhone app includes dedicated tabs called "For You", "New", "Radio", "Connect", and "My Music". The first two tabs offer areas for music discovery, while "Radio" provides themed stations as well as Apple's own Beats 1 Radio. Meanwhile, the last tab, "My Music" provides you with access to the rest of your existing music catalog as well as any new songs you might add from Apple Music.

The "Connect" tab, however, is a new service from Apple which is described as a place where "musicians give their fans a closer look at their work, their inspirations, and their world." Similar to a social network, it allows users to "follow" their favorite artists and see additional content.

[​IMG]

If "Connect" doesn't interest you, MacRumors reader Eric points out a handy tip to replace the "Connect" tab with a dedicated "Playlists" tab which he describes as "much more useful".

Under Settings -> General -> Restrictions, Apple allows you to disable "Apple Music Connect" which removes the Connect tab and provides the alternate Playlist functionality.

Thanks Eric

Article Link: Replace the 'Apple Connect' Tab with a 'Playlists' Tab in Apple Music

2. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Thank you!

While I will probably start utilizing Apple Connect, for now I don't have the time to use it, or appreciate it. It'll be nice to have my playlists there instead.

3. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

4. zilchfox macrumors newbie

zilchfox

Excellent tip. I was never going to use that function anyways.

5. adammusic macrumors 6502

adammusic

Any way to get the SONGS tab back?

6. KALLT macrumors 601

Works in iTunes too: Settings > Parental > Disable > ☑ Apple Music Connect.

Does anyone know whether Connect is the only feature that is related to 'following' artists? Or are these used for something else too?

7. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Gotta love those playlists, "Snappiest Mix", "Listen while reading MacRumors". The custom artwork was a great touch by Apple, much better than the album thumbnails anyway.

If you turn off Apple Music you're left with My Music, Playlists, and Radio. It actually surprises me that iTunes Radio can't be restricted while the iTunes Store itself can.

9. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Click where it says artists and a drop down menu will pop up like this :

Attached Files:

10. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

Is 'Connect' just 'Ping' reborn? I seem to remember it doing the same thing. ..

11. XMZ-250 macrumors member

XMZ-250

I also remember that.

12. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

Connect seems much more artist friendly than Ping.

My band is on iTunes and we make over $1,000 a month from downloads. But we were not deemed fit to join Ping as an artist.

To me that was the main reason Ping failed. Social media is about turning your friends on to new music, pictures, videos etc. When your only artists are Lady Gaga and Elton John no one is excited to share them. Your friends already know about those artists.

With Connect, my band was approved today as a verified artist. And if that Trent Reznor video is honest, it looks like any band on iTunes, no matter how small, can become verified. That gives me some hope that Connect will take off and actually work as a way for artists to give (and sell) new content directly to fans.

Perhaps using it as a chat box will be something we can do to promote our Connect page. My hopes are up. Don't disable it so fast!

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Not joining Apple Music gets rid of the For You and New and by disabling the Connect per this article leaves me with the My Music, Playlists, and Radio tabs.

14. Xytal macrumors regular

Thanks for this. At this time, connect doesn't interest me (maybe I'm just not getting it, or maybe it's just not for me). Either way, thanks for this tip. Very nice to get my playlists up there instead of connect.

15. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

What an amazing tip! It would be better if it was built in to the Music settings itself, but it's gone from the menu bar and that's what matters the most.

Stupid Ping 2.0 /shakesfist

16. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

I'm not getting how people are not interested in Connect... do you have a favorite artist or band that you really love to listen to and flow? If so, what if they are putting up previously unreleased tracks for free on Connect, or behind the scenes rehearsal videos, wouldn't that be of interest to you? That's what Connect is all about.

All of my music projects from my record label have been approved for Connect and I've started to post previously unreleased songs, photo sessions and a short analog synth test video. I think Connect is going to be the thing that really changes the music world for indie artists... as long as people "get" it.

17. RoelJuun macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

Most of my favorite artists are dead. I know new info can be posted by the people that maintain that station but I'm not that interested actually. I don't do artist adoration, I'm just a music addict who listens a lot (really a lot).

18. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Exactly. This is what I did and got the same results. Much easier than fiddling with Restrictions :p

19. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

"The walking Ping" :D

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

So the big question is, what does @arn listen to in his playlist while reading MacRumors? ;)

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 6.16.53 AM.png

21. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Which are those tabs beta testers already get used to. I think it's great.

22. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I use Restrictions extensively to disable some annoying popup windows when using a handful of "apps" coming from "unknown" well-known publishers in a "country".
    I now know I can simply disable all those Apple music tabs in iTunes by simply clicking "Go to my music".
    I hope when I use iOS 9 beta 3, I can still use both restrictions and "Go to my music" to get rid of those annoying "For me", "Connect" tabs which I may never see.
    I want to get rid of Apple music extensively.

23. manu chao macrumors 603

I don't follow any artist on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram or Soundcloud, I highly doubt I will start to do so now on Connect.

24. DanielSw macrumors 6502

DanielSw

Go to "My Music." There's a drop down menu under "Recently Added" in which you can select "Songs." The "Shuffle" button shuffles all of them.