Replaced HD now MBP is dead! Cannot boot from Extertnal...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by walfy1, Mar 7, 2010.

1. walfy1 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I recently learnt that its not too hard to replace your HD for a larger one on a MBP 15", so foolishly I did it and now I'm in a mess.

I bought 2 hard drives, a 2.5" internal 500GB to go in, and a 1TB backup storage drive to use as my clone. I used carbon copy cloner to back up onto the external 1TB, then opened the mac up and changed the two internal drives over. On starting the machine up - even holding the cmd Key/option/shift whatever nothing at all happens on screen. I get 3 flashes on the front light every few seconds but no startup beep and none of the usual noises.

Have I fried the motherboard? I've heard this is somehow possible, and can I check this? as I'm guessing they're not cheap...

Any light you could shed would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The first things I would do would be...

1. Check all of your connections

2. Boot from your install DVD and check your external drive

4. walfy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick replies,

I did not realise RAM errors could cause this kind of thing, I will open it up to check again that it is all seated properly. though I do not remember touching this, apart from removing the cover to get at the screws...

will let you know how it goes!!

Have done this and it boots up fine! thank you for re-instating my faith in computers!

But...and there always is...

The mac is booting from the ex HD, and though system profiler recognises the internal HD I cannot seem to 'select' it within carbon copy to put the information back on the internal. I imagine this is where you say - oh you have to do this before putting the drive in, but I hope not...

thanks again anyway!

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Probably not formatted the right way for a Macintosh. Start "Disk Utility", then have a look how your external drive is formatted, and format the internal drive the same way. (Probably something like "HFS+ Journaled"). And Disk Utility can also copy the external drive onto the internal one.