Replacement 15-inch Late 2013 rMBP - Yellow screen + squeaks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toneLA, Nov 4, 2013.

1. toneLA macrumors regular

I'm seriously about to call it quit.

Went to the Apple Store to get an exchange because I didn't feel comfortable keeping my yellow-screen of hell. The bottom half of the screen was yellow whereas the top, perfectly white. I wasn't fond of the papyrus look whilst reading my email.

The associate was super nice about it and I was on my way with another one in no time.

Surprise when I get home. First of all, I can feel that the bottom panel squeaking without even removing it from the plastic. That's confirmed as soon as I unwrap it. If I grab the laptop from the palm rest area, the whole assembly squeaks. If I grab it when the lid is shut by the hinge, it squeaks as well. :mad:

But the best part remains the screen. It's even worse than the one before. It's not yellow at this point, it's almost beige. The bottom half is darker than the top but the right side is also darker than the left. Meaning the bottom right side is proper ugly to look at.

I am seriously about to lose complete hope in the brand. I do not accept that for 2600 dollars. Obviously, my screen is a Samsung. I want the freaking LG I had on my early 2013 back.

It's already back in the box and I'm about to go hit the store before it closes.

Furious.

2. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Sounds like its not a yellow screen persay, but an non-uniform distribution as you have half yellow half not. Parts are beige. If it was "completely yellowish", you might not notice it as the entire screen would look consistent?

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Why not open it in the store that way you don't have to be surprised when you get home to find the defect(s)?.

4. toneLA thread starter macrumors regular

I'm super happy to report that I found THE one. I guess the 3rd time's the charm.

LG panel. Perfectly even. Whites are crisp. Blacks incredibly deep. No light bleeding. No IR. Nothing. It's perfect.

It's like night and day. The samsung panels look way to yellow and completely uneven. It looks exactly like my early 2013.

No more papyrus look for me! :)

5. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

pics of screen?

6. unimac macrumors member

I'm returning my BTO 15" rMBP tomorrow due to creaks..
    I've been to the apple store twice now regarding it and it still creaks...
    IMO apple spec'd the 15" insides around the 13" to save costs...
    The 15" MBP notably has areas where there is nothing as the internals are built to fit in a 13"... as such, it seems if there is anything slightly off.. the screws aren't tightened exactly right.. you will have creaking.. That's my best guest. At this point, given the defects that the rMBP's have....

I'm going with a lower cost 13" .. I just can't justify paying 2k+ again for a laptop from apple given my history w/ the infamous MBP's that had the nvidia card failure .. the laptop is basically useless now 6 years later.

Given how they are building these machines to be non-user upgradeable..
    Non user replaceable battery...
    Soldered on RAM...

Display retention issues long term....

I'm going to cut my costs in half by getting a 13" so I wont be pissed years down the road when it becomes a useless brick.

I'm off to the Apple store tomorrow to return my 15". I'll be buying the 2nd spec 13".. opening it in store and making sure apple didn't screw up again on quality control. This is seriously ridiculous for the premium they are charging. :mad:

----------

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1667076
    ^As you can see.. totally different results on the 13"

7. toneLA thread starter macrumors regular

Perfectly even!

Attached Files:

8. toneLA thread starter macrumors regular

I have no idea why the pictures are upside down in thumbnail view. :/

9. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

i must have missed ur last post, thought u still had the yellow screen model

glad u got a good one!

hopefully ur LG wont ghost or antyhing :D

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

make sure you get 16gb on the 13".......oh wise one.

11. unimac macrumors member

Make sure you stick to your needs as well O' wise one.. I see I have a 'fan' follower

12. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Perfectly even, but with a very very slight tinge of yellow right (warm)? Very slight, but its even?

13. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Thats what I noticed too, not so even >.>

14. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

I think it looks even, but seems to have the slightest tinge of yellow, so slight, that I think its just considered "warm"? Not sure if that is even a problem or not. You keeping it OP?

15. lg251 macrumors 6502

What ever medium he used to take the picture could be the culprit. It's a picture of a screen...far from being representative even with a Canon 5D III! What were the settings on the cam? A little saturation with contrast at +1 ,etc?

16. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

HDR tends to bring out some of the more subtle colors, like the warmness and yellowness compared to non-HDR.

17. lg251 macrumors 6502

HDR or not, it is not "neutral" at all. Unless you have a major issue with a screen, a picture would not tell much, if anything.

18. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

There is a website with a test that shows 2 gray bars on the display. If they are the same, no yellowness (i think they mean no unevenness as part of that), if they are different, there is yellowness.

Regardless of the camera color profile, the bars should both look identical. If they do not, it should be quickly noticeable.

19. Breedlove macrumors regular

http://imac.squeaked.com/test.php

In fact this was the test I used to show a technician that my screen was horrible.

20. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Looks great :)

21. js09 macrumors member

22. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I have the LG on my maxed out 15 . Looks great as well and congrats on getting one worth the damn money. I feel for those that are running into this issue. I'm heading to the genius bar myself but for a different reason my repair permissions is a freaking mess and mostly I tunes. Figured let them do it for me.

23. umbilical macrumors 6502a

about ghosting image:

Have you guys noticed any ghosting/image retension on your screen? Previous Retina models with LG panels had this issue and I'm wondering if they have fixed it. Of course, for some people it took months to show but some had problems within a few days. Anyone noticed anything? Do you have 13" or 15" models?

I want know if I wait a little more to buy the new macbook pro until this problems are fixed or buy right now :confused:

24. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Seems like there are good and bad screens on both sides. Buy when you need it. If the ghosting issue is something you are worried about, go ahead and wait a few month if you have the time to wait.

25. umbilical macrumors 6502a

the problem of wait is apple DONT say anything!!! how knows if I wait more that previous have issues and I have a recent fixed? apple dont say anything about, is a totally mistery, like put ver 4,2 4,3 etc... or something that indicate that is a revised version :(