Replacement policy on screen problem imac 27 i7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ansabakhan, Mar 3, 2010.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i am looking into buying a imac 27 i7 /8GB/ 2TB,and i am very excited about it if i buy... ill have to sell my current computer in order t get some moeny to pay for the new imac.. i basically make living using computer and cannot do with a computer even for a day.

i will be placing order on apple.com as i dont have a apple store nearby.

my question is if i get my imac 27 with the current screen problem (yellow screen).... would i be able to hold on to that imac until i receive the replacement, so i can do my day to day work on it , what i understand apple only sends you replacement when you ship them back the faulty imac back , in that case i will be without a computer alteast for 2-3 days, which i possibly cant do.

please let me know what you i should do, ill appropriate if you guys can share your experience.

2. jabbott macrumors 6502

I closely followed the yellow tinge/flicker forum on the Apple Discussion forms for a while, and it sounded like a small minority of people were able to hold onto their iMacs until a replacement arrived. It seemed like whoever was able to do that arranged it with AppleCare. I would recommend calling AppleCare (1-800-275-2273 in the US; or here elsewhere) and asking them how possible it is to hold onto the first iMac in the event of a replacement. If they agree to it, get their contact information so you can contact them back directly later if needed. I didn't do this and I had to wait without a computer for 16 days to get a replacement for a flickering iMac i7 / 4GB / 2TB.

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thank you for your reply... i m in USA and i have tried calling apple couple of times ..every time they told me the same thing ... they need to see the tracking before placing a replacement order. How were people able to hold their imac? also when u say apple care you mean i should get the 3 year warranty ?

4. jabbott macrumors 6502

I think that is their official policy, but I distinctly remember a few people on the Apple Discussion forms saying that they were able to convince Apple to let them keep their faulty unit while their replacement is shipped. It is definitely a risk.

I mentioned AppleCare as that is what they call their technical support line, even if you don't have the 3 year warranty. That said, I do recommend getting the extended AppleCare warranty for the iMac, being that it is the first revision of this type of design. I used to not purchase the extended warranty but I'm realizing it is a requirement these days because sadly their build quality has gone down with higher mass production. I say this as somebody who has been using Apples since the Apple //c.

5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks for your reply ..... i will buy extended warranty but only if i get a good screen imac.. i am sort of hesitant to put so much $$$ down , so find my self without a computer, due to the screen problem ...

what options do they give u , when u have a yellow screen.... do they do a remote diagnose like dell does if you havea problem with your computer?

6. ttopp macrumors regular

apple have been good on the customer service with the faulty iMacs i have had 3 awaiting a 4th to come and have been allowed to hold onto one of the iMacs till the new ones come each time. had two for over a week at one point due to the returns company being inflexible again apple was ok with this.

The options they give are refund or repair but if within 14days they may also offer exchange (just ask when ordering). i was offered a refund the last time but had bought other things 4 the imac i wouldnt b able to get a refund on so getting the replacement (AGAIN) 3rd exchange lucky??? fingers crossed

7. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

Thanks ..this is good to know ..who did they let you hold your imac? did they put another change on ur Credit card??

also what do you mean by " returns company being inflexible" you mean like fedex or ups didnt pick it up?

8. ttopp macrumors regular

yip TNT. i couldn't guarantee a time when they said they would b able to come (i work shifts) i asked if they could phone me the time they were coming and i could tell the address id be at for the pick up (only 10mins drive between the two addresses) they said NO!

apple let me hold onto the imac (bought from online uk store) no i paid by debit card but i didn't have to give credit card details but i had to in the past when they sent replacement batteries for a macbook..

9. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

ohh u are in UK ... i wonder if its the same here in USA as well....

i cant be without a computer, and thats what i am nervous about getting a imac...what if the screen is bad... and it needs replacmenet

10. ttopp macrumors regular

if its bad thats a risk you know is there and u have to judge if thats worth it to you to take. if so go 4 it, if not wait for the refresh

apples been great with me even saying my 3year apple care wont start till i get one i am happy with

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Well, since you are ordering a BTO iMac, dont expect it.

If you were to order a stock i7, you might be able to get it back faster.

Instead of worrying about what *might* happen, how about thinking that there wont be a problem instead =)

What state are you in?

Is there some reason why you cant install your own ram and go with an external FW800 drive?

12. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

stock imac doesn't come with 2tb ..thast what my main requirement is ... i am ok ordering 4 gb but 1TB might now be enough thats what i need to go that route

13. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i just check there is no stock i7 .. .the only ready to ships are i5 ... right?

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Some places keep i7s "in stock". macconnection does, but it looks like they are out right now. You might want to call them.

4 extra gigs of ram is $110 (two 2 gig sticks)

start with the 1TB drive and add an external FW800 drive. The same $250 Apple charges will get you an external FW800 2TB drive -- giving you 3TB total.

Again, I wouldnt *expect* any sort of instant turnaround time, no matter what kind of mac you buy.

15. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i guess u are right ... i just wanted to have 2 TB internal and get another 2TB external = 4TB total

16. jclee macrumors newbie

I was able to keep mine, but then they charged me another 2,000 on my card, so that's a total of 4,000 on my card. They will refund my 2,000 when i send the old one back.

Apple will not send you a replacement if you have a yellow screen!!! just to let you know, unless you hassle them to death. I was only able to receive a new one because mine had a screen brightness buzz and a yellow screen. That's why I believe apple has found a fix. It seems like they can't control the incoming imac yellow screens. when you do receive a yellow screen and want a replacement.. guess what.. the new replacement will have that yellow screen too! so they encourage and only offer the lcd replacement.

my replacement had a yellow screen too, they replaced it and it is so much better although there is a very, very slight yellowing. But i'm happy now. So take the lcd replacement that they offer.

17. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks for the info... i wonder what % people receive yellow screen problem.. is it 1 out of 10 or 1 out of every 100 imacs sold

18. easy-mac macrumors member

I was able to keep my i7 while I waited for a replacement, but the trick was getting the Apple Store where I took it to have the replacement shipped there instead of my house. They didn't charge my credit card or anything like that, but it did take 5 and a half weeks to get my replacement! If I would have been without my computer for that long I would have been furious, but as it was I just had the minor annoyance of dealing with flickering every now and then.

When I took mine in the first time they tried replacing the graphics card and that didn't work so they offered me a replacement. I simply and politely told them I couldn't be without my computer for more than a couple of days and they said I could hold on to it until the replacement arrived at their store. I'm not sure if they made an exception for me or not, but if you encounter a problem just take it to the store and ask them if they'll send the replacement there while you keep yours if it comes down to that.

19. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thasts the thign .. i dont have a store close by ... do u think your 2TB hard disk made it take sooo long ? if its a custom built do they ship it from china ?

20. easy-mac macrumors member

I think the delay had more to do with the entire 27" line hitting production delays right about the time my replacement was scheduled to ship. I doubt the 2TB HD had much to do with the delay. I'd say they were giving higher priority to new orders than they were replacements, but I can't verify this of course. Since you're looking at the i7 it's going to be BTO anyway, so I'd say go ahead and order it with the 2TB drive. Now that shipping times are down to 1-3 days you shouldn't face the same problems I did. When I ordered my replacement shipping times were still at 3 weeks. Good luck though! I hope you don't have the same problems I did.

Edit: Yes, they do ship the custom machines from China, but the shipping time is amazingly fast. I received my iMac less than 2 days after I got my tracking number, which I find very impressive seeing as it shipped half way around the globe!

21. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks ! ill keep my figures crossed as well ...and will keep you guys posted ... is there some where u can see what percentage of people are getting faulty imac?

22. jabbott macrumors 6502

http://imac.squeaked.com/results.php

23. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

24. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

That really is an interesting site.

Of all of the macs I have ever bought (30+?) -- NONE of them have ever had issues that have warranted a return or repair. amazing how many there are for the 27".

I yes, I have bought several refurbs and Rev A versions.

25. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I hate to say this, but if you can't be without a computer for a day, I wouldn't order an iMac. I think you'll probably get a good one, and if you don't you can probably arrange for an advance replacement (they'll just need to secure it with your credit card. But it doesn't look like probably is good enough in your case.

Maybe keep saving so you don't have to sell your current machine upfront. Also, order the iMac with the stock 4GB and order an additional 4GB from someone else like macsales. That'll save you ~$100. Also, you can buy Apple Care anytime within the first year, so if that was part of the equation, you could buy that after the fact.