Replacement Problem...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coolca1028, Nov 9, 2008.

1. coolca1028 macrumors member

Ok, so i just went to the apple store to get my MBP replaced. I had the version from 2years ago. ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB. They told me i had to wait 2~4 week because they have to send my MBP to apple and whatever... anyways. i asked them if i was going to get the New MBP (late 2008) and they told me MAYBE. WTF.... If i am getting a MBP replaced should'nt i be getting the Current version?? I am very confused...
    I even called applecare and they didnt know what to tell me. Since i didnt have my MBP with me to give them my serial number...
    Oh yeah, and i asked them if i was going to get a refurbished version, and they said no.. Didnt they stop making MBP with ATI?..
    how is there a possibility that i am going to get the ATI version?...
    Still.... very confused... Please... help... :(

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They will give you a comparable version of what you have if there is a replacement due. They may even give you a refub.
    If they have any that aren't the most recent you will get that most likely. You may get lucky.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If they have any prev gen MacBook Pro's still in stock, you'll most likely get one of them, otherwise you'll end up with a current GlassBook. They do not give out refurbs to replace new machines.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe they do. Search the forums and I believe someone had gotten a refurb. Plus, I don't think you'd ever know.

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

They say they don't know because that is the truth.

If they have one as a refurb that is comparable in specs to your, they will give you that. If they don't you may get lucky and may receive a new one.

You shouldn't expect this though, and have no right to expect Apple to give you a brand new updated version. If they do, consider yourself lucky.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

What was wrong with it? And why are you expecting the brand new version to replace your two year old version? Are you paying for the difference?? :rolleyes:

7. coolca1028 thread starter macrumors member

like I said though, I asked him if I was going to get a refurb version, the genius said no.. Now I'm even more confused, :s

8. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Yea, I don't understand why it is some people think they deserve a brand spanking new computer after their two year old one fails.

Yes, it may be inconvenient that the MBP stopped working, but you haven't even told us the reason for the replacement...

9. coolca1028 thread starter macrumors member

Well, it was a fan problem, they were supposed to send me a replacement fan but got a call saying that they were out of stock on fans. So instead they said they would just replace my MBP.

10. coolca1028 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I don't really mind if I get a replacement, same or similar to the version I had. Just saying that I thought all replacements were supposed to be the newest version... I mean, it would also be better if I got the new version too; right?..

11. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

you're asking for too much in my opinion for a broken fan..

12. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

13. kousuke18 macrumors regular

going by your logic, no one would ever have to buy a new computer since they can just wait until their old one craps out and just get the latest model as a replacement for free... and the process starts all over again. :eek:

14. rs7 macrumors regular

Good point.

15. coolca1028 thread starter macrumors member

^ pretty much what i am hoping for...
    then again.. im not being fair right?...
    i feel bad now... :(

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd be very annoyed to go from an ATI machine to a refurb that might be amongst the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GPU hell-hole machines.

That should definitely give you cause for concern over the reliability of the replacement. ;)

However it is also a machine that might get replaced for you in 2 years, or when it breaks.

17. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I don't think AppleCare lasts that long..

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But on the Nvidia 8600s the warranty extension is through 2 years, even without AppleCare.

19. coolca1028 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm. if i call apple, do you think the guys over there might be able to do something?.. because when i was at the apple store, they werent really helpful, as if they werent sure of what they were saying...
    again, do you think if i call apple they might be able to do something?... even though i dont have my frikken serial number,?... i really need to know, the 8600 is a really big concern to me... if i end up receiveing that model, i think i would be a bit pissed.. heh

20. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

I think your serial number is on the box. Or the packing slip.

21. coolca1028 thread starter macrumors member

yup, both gone... i had to leave everything there at the store.
    hmmm, i remember there used to be a video here about the "apple replacement unit" thing.. cant seem to find it..

22. coolca1028 thread starter macrumors member

nvm, just found my serial number on my apple care certificate.
    now, do you think if i call apple, they might be able to do something about it?.
    (sorry for all these annoying questions... as you can see im still a noob)

23. coolca1028 thread starter macrumors member

just called them up, and they dont know which version i will be receiving...
    if i talked to someone on a higher position, do you think that person might help?... :confused:

24. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Doubt it.

25. Mercellus macrumors regular

When Apple is deciding to replace a product, they will provide the customer with a new product that has the closest configuration to what they currently have or better. Apple do not replace machines with refurbished models unless it is an extreme case where a customer absolutely refuses to accept a new product.