Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
i had my mb replaced it was a whitebook 2.4 250gb. I purchased online even though they still had the blackbook i got a 2.4 glassbook.

byeehaaw

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
New York, NY
i just got my macbook pro replacement. this is what i did. i called up applecare. previously ive sent my mbp in twice for repairs already, and now my cd rom drive was messed up. so i called up applecare explained to them my situation. I said i spent so much money and yet i had to get it fixed so many times. the guy felt for me, but i still had to push for something. so i said i heard about people who had multiple problems got a replacement. he transferred me to customer relations where they reviewed my history and approved it for a replacement. they sent it in advanced, i had to provide my cc info, then they gave me a shipping label online and i sent mine back. hope this helped.

byeehaaw

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
New York, NY
they actually told me that i could be receiving whatever they had, either a sr mbp or the new mbp. it was then clarified the next day, but what they did tell me was that i was getting a 2.4 gbz 250 gb hd so ihad a feeling that it was a new mbp. they should get back to you soon.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
I'm kind of curious now. What kind of fan problem do you have? Turns out I'm about to send mine in because of various defects, one being that the fan suddenly started getting really loud (not the usual loud, but a vibrating kind of sound) above 3,000 rpm. And when it throttles down it rattles for a second or so. Is this the problem you were having?

kousuke18

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
No way. A >$1,500 product for somethign ~$100?!?!

yea for some reason i doubt that apple just gave him a $2000 laptop as compensation for his troubles with a $100 ipod lol perhaps he's just joking? :confused:

coolca1028

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
^ seriously, a MBP?!!?!? a regular MB maybe but a MBP...

anyways, i just came back from the apple store today. AGAIN. after calling applecare last night. I wasnt even allowed to talk to one of the Genius's. So i had to talk with one of the sales rep (which was no help!). I told him about my situation. Then he goes to the back for 5~7 mins to talk to one of the Genius... wtf... anyways, then he comes back telling me that there is a higher chance that i would receive the model i returned for replacement, (late 2006) but as far as i know, they dont have those anymore, not even apple (also as applecare told me). And that i have less chance of receiving the the late MBP version.... ( the genius told me i have more chance of getting the late MBP when i went with appointment on sunday.) Which now i am even more confused. I also mentioned about the faulty NVIDIA cards on the early 2007~2008 and i told him that i would be scared to get one of those and he totally understood. After he talks about the whole "not all of the MBP are affected etc...) Then he sends me off saying "Will that information do? Ok, have a nice day." I was a bit shocked... and i left without saying a word... I am pretty disapointed right now...
and also, i didnt know that the apple store doesnt send the "faulty or MB under bad condition" as soon as they get them from a customer for replacement. Apparently, they wait till apple sends them a new one then gives the customer a call once they receive it, after 2~4 weeks... anways, that was news to me,

coolca1028

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
one more question, i would like to elevate this topic to a higher level of customer service. ie: i would like to talk to a customer relations... is there a specific way to do that?... i mean, if i called a phone company and i told them i would like to have my line cut off, they would send me to a customer relations right away... and i dont think i could do the same with apple...
if not, im going to email sjobs... im just better with speaking than typing..

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
just be patient, you will receive your machine or a new one if Apple decides they dont have any in stock.

However I think you will receive your original machine back with the replacement part that was supposed to be replaced. I doubt they would change it for you to a newer model just because its getting fixed.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
anyways, i just came back from the apple store today. AGAIN. after calling applecare last night. I wasnt even allowed to talk to one of the Genius's. So i had to talk with one of the sales rep (which was no help!). I told him about my situation. Then he goes to the back for 5~7 mins to talk to one of the Genius... wtf... anyways, then he comes back telling me that there is a higher chance that i would receive the model i returned for replacement, (late 2006) but as far as i know, they dont have those anymore, not even apple (also as applecare told me). And that i have less chance of receiving the the late MBP version.... ( the genius told me i have more chance of getting the late MBP when i went with appointment on sunday.) Which now i am even more confused. I also mentioned about the faulty NVIDIA cards on the early 2007~2008 and i told him that i would be scared to get one of those and he totally understood. After he talks about the whole "not all of the MBP are affected etc...) Then he sends me off saying "Will that information do? Ok, have a nice day." I was a bit shocked... and i left without saying a word... I am pretty disapointed right now...
and also, i didnt know that the apple store doesnt send the "faulty or MB under bad condition" as soon as they get them from a customer for replacement. Apparently, they wait till apple sends them a new one then gives the customer a call once they receive it, after 2~4 weeks... anways, that was news to me,

Not all of them, but near enough. All the machines that shipped with that GPU are included in the Nvidia GPU death watch. They don't have any breaks like they did in the past with some faulty parts, the entire run in suspect.

From the first day is shipped in May 2007 until they were replaced by the new MacBooks in October 2008.

And basically the last few times we had this level of warning nearly all the units eventually failed ... Apple Studio Display CRTs, iMac G5 with faulty capacitors, etc.

coolca1028

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
^hmm.. I see, thx for the info..
Then again it returns to my question on how I could talk to one of the customer relations, how to get to talk to them... I would really like to know.
I will keep this thread updated,

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
After reading the posts in this thread and what you have to say, it seems that you're trying to take advantage of Apple.

You've basically taken what people have said in the thread about the 8600 MBP's issues and used it as leverage to squeeze a late 2008 MBP. And that would be okay - if you didn't publicly complain about it when they can't tell you which version you'll be receiving.

Escalation? Please... The fact that you're even contemplating escalating the issue when they have already offered to replace your old MBP is proof of your attempt at exploiting Apple's kindness. You should really be thankful that they are even giving you a brand new MBP replacement for your two year old laptop that had a failing fan.

Email steve jobs? What would you say? "Please send me a new MBP because my 2 year old MBP fan failed. You owe me."

Maybe I got this all wrong and you're just an honest guy - but the fact remains - you should be thankful for any replacement you receive.

LedCop

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
If the OP can get a newer machine (i.e. a unibody MBP) than the ones with the 8600M GT on the basis that the 8600M GTs are doomed to fail, then the current owners of Penryn MacBook Pros with 8600M GTs would be more than enititled to the unibody MBPs.

I'd say the OP would be even lucky to get a Penryn MBP from this original Core Duo one. As for the graphic card, if it fails, I'm sure Apple would just replace it.

coolca1028

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
heh, trust me, I know where you're comming from. In a way I do think I am taking advantage of apple. But as you can see on previous, "apparently" I am supposed to receive the late version. But I will still be happy if not... It's just faulty information that apple as giving me that "pisses me off" a bit. First the told me I will get the late version. Then not. Then I will be getting the exact same model,( which I know they don't make and have anymore). Again though, it may seem that I am taking advantage of apple, but y not? I have one more year or AppleCare left and if they do infact replace mine with " a faulty chip" which it's proned to be doomed, I might as well "try"... Right?..
Btw, about emailing Steve jobs, it's not actually Steve himself, obviously. I believe it was stvjobs@apple.com ( I think the email is wrong) it's a highest level of customer relations that recieves the mail, reads it, and does something about it. It wouldn't hurt to try , right?.. Heh..
Anyways, back to my question on how to get in contact with a customer relations... To be honest I really don't need or want the late version, I just like to feel safe, besides, I like the classic MBP version anyways, with matte finish. By your opinions, I would like to know which of the classic MBP think it's the best? Specificaly, ie: 2.4?... 2.5?.. Early 2008? Etc..

( no mac = writing all this with my iPhone.. Finger frikken hurts...)

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
In a way I do think I am taking advantage of apple.

... it may seem that I am taking advantage of apple, but y not?.... I might as well "try"... Right?..

this thread should be closed.

I would like to know which of the classic MBP think it's the best? Specificaly, ie: 2.4?... 2.5?.. Early 2008? Etc..

Any advice given will just be used against Apple. If you want to exploit apple, you should do it without the help of others.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
going by your logic, no one would ever have to buy a new computer since they can just wait until their old one craps out and just get the latest model as a replacement for free... and the process starts all over again. :eek:

No, that is not correct. If you get a replacement machine by Apple, the old notebook's warranty is transfered to the new one. Eventually the warranty will expire.

cheeseadiddle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
No, that is not correct. If you get a replacement machine by Apple, the old notebook's warranty is transfered to the new one. Eventually the warranty will expire.

When my macbook crapped out and the apple store replaced it, they rolled back the warranty to day one. Maybe that was because it was still within the one year warranty?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Good point.

No, I believe the original applecare would go from three years of the purchase of the original computer.

Now each replacment MAY have its own one year warranty. And theoretically, you may be able to buy additional applecare for the replacement, assuming you have a receipt showing you received it, or can trace the machine using the website from the orignal manufacture date.

Unless, of course, you transferred the original applecare to the new machine. Then I don't think it would qualify for a new applecare.

Geez, this sounded a LOT simpler in my head....

LedCop

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
this thread should be closed.

Any advice given will just be used against Apple. If you want to exploit apple, you should do it without the help of others.

Agreed.

OP, you ask why not? In this world, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Sure if Apple gives you a new notebook it may seem that Apple's footing the bill but in the end, it's the other customers that are paying for your new computer. Where and from whom does Apple get its money?

Also, your persistence and perhaps even unreasonableness may make Apple reconsider its generosity and leniency with customer grievances in general which will affect the rest of us.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
There is a lot of misinformation here. First, the OP has had problems with his machine and he wants them resolved. He needs to chill out and let Apple follow their protocol. You may be getting conflicting answers but it sounds like Apple is trying to fix the machine. Your original post stated that you walked into the Apple Store expecting a new replacement, based on what?

I had issues with an old PB G4 1.33 which required a couple trips to the repair center. Each time it took a week which seems like an eternity. Anyway, it seems like the OP wants rock solid answers when there really isn't any, Apple is looking at the machine and will determine if they can fix it, replace it with one of the same or current model. Apple Customer Relations told me they do not replace computers with refurbished which led me to believe that there must be some Consumer law that prevents that. If they do not have a new, in box computer like the model you own, they will most likely replace it with a current MBP like they did for me. My new receipt shows a refund for the old machine and lists the new MBP with a one year warranty. I will wait till the eleventh month and buy Apple Care and I am set. So, relax and let them do their jobs or you will piss someone off and they'll simply attempt to fix it until there is no more oil to produce those little plastic fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.