Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoegal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Ok guys, I need some advice again.

So I've been having some bad luck with my MBP. I just received my third replacement. I've had three DOA's: defective superdrive, hard drive and backlighting/battery. They were all assessed by a service provider and declared DOA. So it's for real(last time I posted about this someone started calling me a liar so...)

This weekend i received an advanced replacement from Apple. I haven't tried or tested it yet because I would have to transfer files, calibrate etc and I only had time to unpack it. So I unbox it and I notice it's dirty. Like, there's black dirt on the sides and top. It did come off but it's just weird. Then I took the plastic off and there's a scratch. It's not big at all..but still. It's brand new, out of the box(there's a pic here:)
2bopwu1r8

There's also a tiny scratch near the trackpad.

So my question is: what do i do? I know it's just a minor scratch and I should prob be happy if it's working/functioning, but i'm kind of upset since this is my third replacement. I just don't think they should be sending me a dirty and damaged MBP. Even if it's minor. Some guy told me that it might be just the texture of the MBP, not a scratch. But I don't know...the previous ones def didn't have it.

Am I making too big of a deal out of this?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,313

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
From what I see of the (fuzzy) picture you're overreacting. It's a computer - ie: a tool - not a work of art.

akonikui

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have to disagree with Ccrew.
This is your fourth replacement computer from Apple - it should descend from the heavens in a golden chariot and sparkle like diamonds, not be covered in dirt and have a scratch.
We pay a premium for Apple's award-winning design. It IS a work of art and you should expect no less.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have to disagree with Ccrew.
This is your fourth replacement computer from Apple - it should descend from the heavens in a golden chariot and sparkle like diamonds, not be covered in dirt and have a scratch.
We pay a premium for Apple's award-winning design. It IS a work of art and you should expect no less.

Then again, that may be why they're so expensive - because a lot of their owners see them as some sort of fine masterpiece and demand replacements if a gnat farts. That drives up the cost for the rest of us.

And you know what? At the end of the day.. it's just a computer.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
There is reason in reason.

A mac will endup being scratched, so you really have to make a trade-off with "does it work, can I use it, is this type of scratch likely to happen in my use" and all the hassel of sending it back again... to make a point that you should have received a sparkling perfect one.

shoegal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Then again, that may be why they're so expensive - because a lot of their owners see them as some sort of fine masterpiece and demand replacements if a gnat farts. That drives up the cost for the rest of us.

I get what you're saying. BUT I'm also like: hey, i paid a LOT of money for this computer. I get three defective ones...and you know I've had to travel for an hour to the service provider each time because Apple sent me a defective one...and then they send me a new one and it's dirty and two scratches. I just feel kind of disappointed tbh. But you wouldn't call Apple about this?

shoegal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
There is reason in reason.

A mac will endup being scratched, so you really have to make a trade-off with "does it work, can I use it, is this type of scratch likely to happen in my use" and all the hassel of sending it back again... to make a point that you should have received a sparkling perfect one.

True that's kind of what I'm considering at the moment.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I get what you're saying. BUT I'm also like: hey, i paid a LOT of money for this computer. I get three defective ones...and you know I've had to travel for an hour to the service provider each time because Apple sent me a defective one...and then they send me a new one and it's dirty and two scratches. I just feel kind of disappointed tbh. But you wouldn't call Apple about this?

Curious question.. You keep mentioning "service provider". Are you not dealing with Apple on this?

shoegal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Curious question.. You keep mentioning "service provider". Are you not dealing with Apple on this?

Yes I am dealing with Apple. But in my country we don't have Apple retail stores so I have to go to an Apple authorized service provider. But im in contact with Apple international customer service.

propalitet

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011

That's nonsense. It's just a myth started by someone and now everybody is repeating it without thinking about it for a moment.

First, the returns account for such a small part of purchases that they don't affect them in any significant way. Also, they are refurbished and sold at profit. And all that is already in the price. Apple has one of the highest profit margins in the industry. Partly because of their fancy JIT logistics, and partly beacuse they make their own software.

Second, Apple reported $6 billion profit in only the last quarter. That's pure profit, after all employees and expenses are paid. You think it will hurt them or you if this guys returns his laptop? God and nature gave you brain, use it.

And third, for that money (that's hundreds of dollars more that what a competitors laptop would cost) I expect almost flawless computer.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere

Elevated expectations are created by the boasting of Steve Jobs, "It's Magical & Revolutionary" he says. No wonder people expect perfection. Then he prices MacBook Pro's at obscenely high amounts. No wonder fanboys attack anyone who fails to be a worshiper.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
And third, for that money (that's hundreds of dollars more that what a competitors laptop would cost) I expect almost flawless computer.

what you say is true

But if we add-in the fact that the pseron in question does not have direct Apple contact, etc, etc.... it "may" make sense to accept that "almost flawless" implies - alas - some scratch.

But don't get me wrong, I have a Apple store in town, and I would have gone back for a swap.

gonzomn

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
New should be new. If you buy a new car you wouldn't accept it dirty & scratched. A computer or anything else you buy should be no different.

shoegal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I agree. That's why I'm so bummed out about this. I unbox it and I'm like: WHAT is this???? I wonder what customer service will tell me though. Maybe they'll say: sorry, deal with the scratch we're not replacing anything anymore. That would definitely be unfair considering the issues i've experienced but I just don't see them sending me ANOTHER new one. I don't know. Seems I have bad luck with Apple. I mean, how did I just get a dirty and scratched one this time? I know a lot of people who are not having any problems with their MBP.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
I can't see the scratch but if it bothers you tell Apple and see what they can do. They have always taken great care of me and it is a major reason when I bought a few more laptops I didn't even bother looking at other makers. No one else on this forum has to live with the scratch, and if it bothers you then see what they can do. Certain rubbing compounds exist as well, but their use on anodized aluminum is limited.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Can't see it either but if it bothers you, definitely give Apple a ring to see what they can do.

shoegal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I can't see the scratch but if it bothers you tell Apple and see what they can do. They have always taken great care of me and it is a major reason when I bought a few more laptops I didn't even bother looking at other makers. No one else on this forum has to live with the scratch, and if it bothers you then see what they can do. Certain rubbing compounds exist as well, but their use on anodized aluminum is limited.

I'll try with customer service. Next week I'll be in the UK. I could also go to an Apple store there maybe if customer service won't help me? Although I don't know what they can do...

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I humbly suggest to bring/send it back to Apple for another replacement. IMHO, the most important thing in your purchase is that you're entirely happy with what you've bought. Good luck. :)

shoegal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
So your experience with Apple has been that they would be reasonable about this or at least take my issue with this seriously?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
That's nonsense. It's just a myth started by someone and now everybody is repeating it without thinking about it for a moment.

You clearly don't understand business if you don't think that the costs of returns and the cost of warranty isn't factored into the price you pay. Think these things just magically are free? Business 101, sorry. Does Apple have a higher profit margin? Sure they do. So that means you're entiltled to a replacement if it has a spec of dirt? The "they make money so they can afford it" is sheer and unadulterated BS. In order to make that profit they have to factor costs, and the costs of returns is a cost not a profit center. Can they recoup their loss with a refurb? Maybe, but unless you want to detail the cost of that refurb and the percentage that are trashed and never resold you are just speculating.

Biggest thing I don't like about Apple? Their owners self righteous sense of entitlement. Be thankful they replace machines at all. Dell, or HP, or any others won't - they'll replace every part in it twice before they'll think to issue a replacement.

shoegal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
You clearly don't understand business if you don't think that the costs of returns and the cost of warranty isn't factored into the price you pay. Think these things just magically are free? Business 101, sorry. Does Apple have a higher profit margin? Sure they do. So that means you're entiltled to a replacement if it has a spec of dirt? The "they make money so they can afford it" is sheer and unadulterated BS. In order to make that profit they have to factor costs, and the costs of returns is a cost not a profit center. Can they recoup their loss with a refurb? Maybe, but unless you want to detail the cost of that refurb and the percentage that are trashed and never resold you are just speculating.

Biggest thing I don't like about Apple? Their owners self righteous sense of entitlement. Be thankful they replace machines at all. Dell, or HP, or any others won't - they'll replace every part in it twice before they'll think to issue a replacement.

Excuse me but we're not talking about a one-time 'spec of dirt' on a MBP here.

We're talking about three defective computers. Actually defective! Then I get my new one (after driving back and forth to the service provider to have it assessed) and they send me a MBP that has scratches and is COVERED in dirt. I'm sorry but did you get your MBP in that condition? Probably not.

I have been VERY cooperative with Apple but i'm honestly disappointed. I've always loved Apple, i dont want to bash them because i think they really did try to help me out and they really do feel bad about what has happened to me.

And sure, you shouldn't feel you're ENTITLED to replacement but I sure feel like I paid a LOT of money, actually way over a thousand euros, and i'm quite frankly getting a lot of crap in return. So if I'm costing Apple money right now...should I really be feeling bad about that?

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010

The OP originally asked what they should do, which does not sound like entitlement to me...

shoegal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
The OP originally asked what they should do, which does not sound like entitlement to me...

true...i'm actually asking others whether i might be overreacting! I don't want to ask for a replacement or make a fuss about nothing!

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
true...i'm actually asking others whether i might be overreacting! I don't want to ask for a replacement or make a fuss about nothing!

So if this was your first Mac w/o the 3 replacements, you would have just cleaned the dirt and moved on? Maybe you should just do that. Like you said, you've been having bad luck. Your next MBP may have something broken that you can't just clean.

shoegal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
So if this was your first Mac w/o the 3 replacements, you would have just cleaned the dirt and moved on? Maybe you should just do that. Like you said, you've been having bad luck. Your next MBP may have something broken that you can't just clean.

Well no the dirt isn't the issue.. it's the scratches. And the fact that it was dirty too makes me think it wasn't exactly brand new or that somthing went wrong in production. Of course if it was just dirty...whatever. No, that wouldn't bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.