Replacing a scratched iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zackkmac, Oct 6, 2008.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

My brother gave me his iPhone because he no longer has AT&T and his wife doesn't like the iPhone, and although this is my 2nd iPhone [first one is gone], I am very appreciative :)

However, it is scratched. It makes my mom's first iPhone look good [she has a new replacement]! Unlike my mom's old one, this one doesn't have any hardware problems, and only has the limited warranty [no phone support]. Is there a way Apple would replace mine even though it's just scratched? OCD has gotten to me... :eek:

Thanks

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Do you seriously think that any company will replace a phone that has no problems, that you scratched for you. Take a deep breath and think about it.

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Amen.

I am sick of all these threads. What has happened to personal responsibility?

4. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

only if you pay the 700$ for the "replace my iphone everytime my dumb butt scratches it plan"

people that make threads like this need to be smacked in the mouth.

5. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Before anyone else makes conclusions that I'm just a dumb teenager that's dropped his phone several times and wants it replaced just because it doesn't look right, please just read what I have to say. I didn't scratch the phone myself, my older brother, the previous owner of this phone did. And knowing that it has been dropped could mean it'll have hardware issues. In fact, I'm playing with it while it's charging right now and it is super hot. I also tried out that camera and it's somewhat, actually a lot blurrier than other iPhone's I've messed with/owned. Sure, the scratches bother me, but I love the iPhone, and I just want to have one that'll have a better chance at lasting and be able to get it before the warranty expires. That's all I was asking about, maybe I just didn't word my OP right.

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Who scratched it? Not Apple, so think about it, Who should replace it?
    (I'm a teen too, and my old iPhone is [/I]very[/I] scratched, and I know who's responsibility it is for me)

7. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's great, but my previous post answers states that I wasn't the one who put it in this condition. I'm just afraid that an iPhone in this condition is going to have hardware issues and I would like it replaced when it does, or possibly before it does, sometime before the warranty expires. I would have a 3G but there's really no point, we don't even have 3G out here so I'd be spending a couple hundred + higher rate plan for a phone that's basically the same as this one. Now, maybe if it had a different user interface...

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

once again, did apple scratch it? no

they have no incentive to replace it. serioulsy think about what youre asking lol

warranty protects against hardware defects NOT caused by user.......not user inflicted damge (yes, even if your brother did it)

9. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well yeah, I can see why they won't replace it because of it being scratched. But it is already starting to show a few hardware problems [overheating, blurry camera]. Though the scratches do bug me, they are something I would definitely live with. Heck, I'd either get a case or get it custom painted! I only put "scratched" to sort-of hint that it seems like it'll have future problems. I would just like an original iPhone that, in my possession, is relatively new so I could feel better about having one that might not have as much, if any problems when the warranty expires.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Replacing it is easy, just make sure it isn't water damaged or dropped.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for someone who says they were given an iphone, you sure surprise me with your attitude lol

12. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, for now it is. He says I'll "work it off somehow", so idk? He owns a lot of new audio/video, car audio, home electronics[?] stores around our city so I'm sure he'll have something, plus I think it'd be cool to see all the neat things he has stocked.

But, I surely wasn't surprised when I got the iPhone like this. He has a brand new Tundra truck and it has got to be in the nastiest condition I've ever seen a truck in! Like I said in the OP, I'm appreciative of him just basically handing me this iPhone, I'd just want it to be exchanged for one in better condition before the warranty expires.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

After he's finished with the truck, have him give it to you and see if Toyota replaces it.

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Beggers can't be choosers.

Where is said scratch that it can't be covered by an iStyle skin or a case?

You could take it to Apple and pay $250+TAX for a replacement :shrug:

15. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

There should be like a BEEEEEP to this type of thread's.

16. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, that's okay, I actually am fine with my 2008 Tahoe.

Back on subject, I called Apple's iPhone support and this very nice chick set up a repair, or at least I hope so. She told me that with the problems I told her about [the same I mentioned here, and the scratches], it would most likely be replaced. She even added a note in there saying that I'd prefer a replacement [which I honestly didn't ask for because I was afraid she'd get suspicious]. The weird thing is, she gave me a repair ID and everything, but she never asked for me serial number. :confused:

17. macdim macrumors 6502

I hope you are sincere. If not, then I hope they decide it's fine and make you pay a fee plus shipping both ways. That way it would be fair. If your problems are warranted, they will replace it. Either way it's fair.

18. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would not mind paying shipping either ways to get this replaced or at least repaired. I was completely honest with the Apple rep that I spoke with and she said I should be OK.

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Let me get this right; you have an iPhone given to you by your brother; it's scratched; but it doesn't have any hardware problems; but Apple's going to probably replace it because "POOF" now it's developed hardware problems between 3:16pm - 6:28pm that warrant a replacement; and don't worry about the shipping and postage, AppleCare Support will take care of that as well. Hopefully, you can see why other members have been a bit rough with you; personally I would skip all the foreplay; and just get down to it, don't hold anything back, most of us have heard it all or close to it. When you ask for advice, it's probably a good idea to take what you need and weed out the advice you don't need. The War Department's Apple Logo on the back of her 3G iPhone is scratched, but there aren't enough hoops for me to jump through to compromise my integrity for a scratched iPhone... But that's me :(

20. maxxscholten macrumors regular

This is exactly what I was thinking - funny how he wanted to get it replaced for it being scratched in the OP, but then all of a sudden there are hardware problems.

21. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

OP (zackkmac),

You've got to be kidding me, right? Your brother gives you an iPhone that he scratched and you want Apple to replace it while it's still under warranty? It's people like you that drive costs up for trying to return something that's not defective. And you also make it harder for the next person who actually has something defective on their iPhone.

Let me give you some strong advice that I hope you'll take: grow up and get some integrity.

Bryan

22. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it had problems in the beginning [of me owning it] but I didn't really know if they were anything worth a replacement. Thanks for the advice, on asking advice? I normally don't go to these forums, because rude posts are most of what I see. I have accounts on a few other forums and this is probably the nicest forum I've yet to see. But as for the other ones, I'm a teenager and sometimes, from the things I read, I sit there and think "Wow, I can't believe I'm younger and more mature."

Especially the "GET OUT OF MY F*CKING THREAD YOU'RE SO F*CKING DUMB DON'T EVER POST IN THIS ENTIRE FORUM AGAIN."...I mean seriously. :rolleyes:

Like I said, I wasn't sure if they were worth calling and waiting 20 minutes about. Apparently they are though, I decided to go ahead and call just to see.

And this one is defective! It looks like it's been through a lot and is starting to show it. I wrote the OP a few minutes after I got the phone, so at the time I didn't see any problems [it was dead]. Then it got hot and when I tried the camera later, it seems to have a bright fuzzy effect or something. Plus, the Apple rep I spoke with said it would probably have to be replaced rather than repaired.

If I wasn't grown up, I'd probably be immature and post in all caps filled with curse words. Because everyone assumes that all teenagers have no respect. I came here asking for honest advice, and I chose this forum because of lots of the kind posters I see here, but I didn't expect this. I'm sorry for asking something and just want this thread deleted.

23. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Here's the deal.

My original iPhone = scratch free perfect

Three weeks after I got my iPhone 3G at launch I went to Six Flags in NJ. I had not gotten around to buying a case and screen protector yet, but I was going to be careful...a soft cotton pocket with nothin but an iPhone in it should be fine. Well I was about to go on the Superman ride, and I didn't want my new iPhone to slip out of my pocket, so I put it in the "group bag" as we were saving money on lockers.

Come to find out, my iPhone (white) had rubbed up pretty tightly against my girlfriends black sunglasses, and it actually dinged and dented the two right corners. I was so pissed off, also the Apple logo on the back had scratches.

As I knew Apple would not replace my phone, I sat in my own grief and got a case to "cover it up". Now fast forward to two weeks ago: My iPhone suddenly shuts off and won't turn on even if I plug it in to the wall or to iTunes. I went to the Apple Store about a day later and handed the head Genius my phone. I sort of s t r e t c h e d the truth and said that my phone had been dead for a week. After some tinkering, he got it to turn on again...but then a miracle happened....he said he was going to replace my iPhone with a BRAND NEW (not the refurb box) one "Just in case so it doesn't happen in the future." I was so ecstatic inside my head, MY SCRATCHES WERE NO MORE. And I went home a happy camper.

I don't know if it was good timing or what, but it all worked out. Try stretching the truth a bit ;] (I'm 18 years old by the way!)

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and people wonder why apple products cost alot

that said im guilty as well. i had an original xbox that subsequently died 2 years later. took it back to sams club telling them it died and they gave us our money back

i cant believe they did that as i was completely honest in explaining what happened

25. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Your a teenager and you own a 2008 Tahoe, but worry about replacing a $299 phone??? What am I missing here?