replacing cracked macbook case

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by donaghy, Aug 22, 2009.

1. donaghy macrumors member

Hi all, I recently bought a 2nd hand macbook. The bottom right palm rest has a bit of plast missing round the edges, very common issue ive heard. As this is a known issue will apple replace/fix the problem for free or do you need to have it under apple care or still under warranty?

Also, i've got an issue with the cd drive not reading cds? It tries to read cd but then just ejects. This happens for all cds, any ideas why?

cheers.

2. ETID macrumors regular

I took mine in out of warranty and they just replaced the whole top case in half hour for free. I'm still wanting to know whether they will replace my cracks near the air vent though as these seem just as common but seemed rude to ask as they had just done a free repair!

Have no idea about the cd drive though.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think the program that fixes the cracked MacBook casing is over. I'd still try to get the Apple Store to take a look at it but no guarantees.

4. donaghy thread starter macrumors member

no harm in asking i guess so will take down to store on monday. cheers

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Lots of luck getting it fixed. I guess it all depends on who you talk to and what mood they're in.

With the recent price drops on the macbook/pro line I'm guessing the bean counters at Apple are really cracking down on this.

Never hurts to try though.

6. ETID macrumors regular

To me personally it seems unacceptable that there is a "program" for this repair. My sister's and flat mate's macbooks cracked recently and if they don't replace the topcase I will not be happy.

The white macbook is a great machine but is marred by its poor quality casing.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

How is that unacceptable to you? Surely it would have been best if they had produced a quality product in the first place. However, the fact that they created a program for this purposes shows that Apple took the initiative to publicly declare that there is a design flaw and to replace affected casings for customers out-of-warranty. You would be hard-pressed to find a better resolution.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Not to mention its marred by some of the handling practices by the owners as well.

Some folks are pretty rough with their units and one can only imagine how much of that cost is built into Apple's product line.

9. ETID macrumors regular

When I meant I find the program flawed I mean in the fact it has ended, i.e people with faulty units that will have to pay when it is mostly not their fault. I applaud Apple for fixing them but not so much if they are halting this program.

I admit that it probably will occur more quickly if the laptop is bashed around but I know for a fact that mine has been transported with care its whole life and yet I had cracks on my topcase and under the rear vents.

Supposedly the ones they replace them with are stronger now so who knows...

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I don't think so.

They're still repairing cracked cases when they come in.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There isn't and never was a "program" covering this issue.

The issue with the product is ongoing (you have to remember Apple is STILL selling computers with the design flaw) and as such, there is no expiry date for the free repair.

Apple might choose to stop it one day, but I don't see that happening for a few years.

You should be able to get it fixed for free in or out of warranty on any White or Black plastic MacBook.

Other problems that get a repair program (such as logic board and graphic card flaws) tend to have a limited timescale on them in order to ensure that only those users who suffer due to that problem are covered and people who just have general (and reasonably expected) failure are not.

The plastic is always going to be an issue, so it's treated differently by Apple.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It wouldn't be factored in to the cost of any of Apple's products.

They take a clear stance against even suspected cases of user abuse.

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

LOL! You must work for a government agency where there is no accountability to a Board of Directors and stockholders. Even Steve Jobs' haircuts are factored into the cost of your mac. You're naive to think otherwise.

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think you're right, there really isn't a program like there is for batteries, nVidia GPU but there is a time period that Apple will take faulty cases. After that time period (I want to say 3 years), Apple is not obligated to fix it. (If you think about it, getting the cracks 5 years later - I wouldn't expect anyone to believe that Apple or any manufacturer will take and repair it free of cost)

15. ETID macrumors regular

I would say three years sounds about right but this assumes that the macbooks they are selling now don't crack. What I mean to say is are the ones being produced now actually stronger and more resistant to cracking or is that just rumours.

On a similar note, just noticed a crack in the lower case near the thumb grip to open the laptop, strange I didn't expect it to occur there.

16. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

My girlfriends spring 2008 macbook still cracked - that's probably around 1.5 years after the first case of cracking occurred? I still don't think they reinforced the area at all...

They did change the plastic they were using though for a different issue, which was to do with the discolouration of the MacBooks.

17. melissa.b.u macrumors newbie

can you bring it into the apple store or how can i get one of the repair boxes so i can send it in?

18. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

You can bring it in to an Apple Store. If you call to arrange AppleCare service they ship a box overnight via Fedex w/ explicit packing instructions and a pre-paid return label. I just sent mine in for a new logic board from AZ and it was shipped back to my house inside 48 hrs! I did the same for a bottom case replacement just a month earlier. The Apple Store Genius bar folks gave me no problems about replacing bottom case due to the usual cracks.

19. donaghy thread starter macrumors member

just a question on replacing your bottom case buzzworm, did you say your laptop was still under applecare or did they say they would replace it regardless due to it being a common fault?

20. melissa.b.u macrumors newbie

do i have to book an appointment at the mac store if i go? i was planning on going tomorrow so their schedule is all full. or could i even just pick up a repair box at the store as well?

21. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

My CD MacBook still had 3 months of AppleCare when I left it at the Apple Store for bottom case and LCD replacement BUT they immediately agreed the cracks were evident and would replace the bottom case not yet knowing it was covered by AppleCare. I didn't even notice cracks along the vent - I brought it in for cracks below trackpad - it was the genius woman who pointed out the rear cracks. I had it back in 4 days.

22. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

I believe you must always make a genius bar appointment to discuss warranty issues. My shipping box was Fedexed overnight for my most recent AppleCare service after calling, but it's likely your Apple Store has them as well.

23. melissa.b.u macrumors newbie

what number do you have to call? i can't seem to find anything on the site about getting a repair box sent to my house so i dont know what to do :confused:

24. chan2004 macrumors regular

You can always take your MB directly to an apple authourized service provider.
    They will replace the keyboard and the cracked part for free.

I won't waste my time on genius.

25. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

You must make an online appointment for your local Apple Store Genius Bar - that can't be done over the phone. If they agree to repair it (which is likely) they'll Fedex it to the repair facility from the store. As for the box, my MB was still covered by AppleCare, so after arranging the repair w/ AppleCare over the phone they Fedexed the box overnight.