Replacing Damaged iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcww33, May 6, 2011.

1. jcww33 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I broke my phone (water damage) and want to get it replaced. My only issue is that I want to upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it comes out. Is their a way for me to get a new phone without renewing my contract? Thanks

2. Inkllicious macrumors regular

If you have money to burn, Yes.. Buy one without a contract or lock directly from apple.

otherwise no.

3. jcww33 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yes, if you're willing to spend $199 (£139 in the UK):
    Just take it in to an Apple store and ask for an out of warranty service replacement and they'll swap it out for a refurb for those prices I mentioned above. It will also get the balance of any warranty and / or applecare, it won't affect your contract eligibility and you won't have to renew your contract

5. jcww33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Even my phone's a year and a half old? Also, If I have a 3GS will I get another one or a 4?

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It can be any age and in warranty or out (if it's out of warranty, you get a new 90 day one). They will only replace it with the same one as you have, so if it's a 3GS, you'll get a 3GS

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Damn, i didnt know you could pay for a replacement with it out of warranty. That could be a really good deal.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As long as the phone isn't completely pulverised you can do an out of warranty exchange. It covers water damage, drop damage, etc, etc.

One thing that isn't covered though is unauthorised modifications so if (for example) you try and do a DIY swap to white, not only do you lose your warranty, you also lose the chance of out of warranty service (if they work out what you've done)

9. Inkllicious macrumors regular

He's talking about an Iphone 5. Throwing in a refurb'd 4 won't get you a 5. And it well- doesn't exist, yet.. So theres really aren't known methods but the obvious at this point.

10. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

...yes but at least that way he will have a fully working iphone4 to sell to fund his iPhone 5, which will no doubt fetch far more including price for replacement than just a broken one!

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Go to the Apple Store, bring your iPhone, and they will cost you $200 to replace it with the same version you turn into them.