Replacing HDD with SSD on MB; what to do with the BC partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jav6454, Mar 7, 2009.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Alright, so I put this here since this forum is much more busy and people are more pro wise.

Reason of this is that I am going to replace my stock 250GB 5400rpm drive with a new 256 GB Titan G.Skill SSD. Now, I know OS X handles everything through Time Machine, so I don't have to worry about the OS X side. However, I have a Boot Camp partition running Windows 7 that I know Time Machine doesn't back-up.

How do I transfer this BC partition to my new SSD? Or do I have to reinstall Windows again?

2. kanon14 macrumors regular

kanon14

I'll be getting the same drive next week too and I need to install windows 7 as well. From what I read if your MB may not be able to read the SSD from the install disc (however the new MBP seems to read fine), so you will need to connect the SSD via FW (or USB), format it and install (or clone) OSX from disk utility there. For boot camp, some reported they have no problem in installing windows but some said they did. I'm not entirely sure on this. Maybe if someone with more information would chip in?

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

The easiest way is to use the free Mac utility called WinClone which makes a disk image of your Windows installation. Later when the partition has been re-established on the new drive with BootCamp, you rerun WinClone to restore the image correctly.

4. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Thanks seems very useful. Can't wait till I get my SSD

5. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Using a second machine, put the current machine in target disk mode and use disk utility on the second to copy the whole disk to the new SSD.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

That only works if you have two Macs, which if you check his signature, you'll see he doesn't. However the Winclone way sickmacdoc recommended is definitely the best. It also gives you a complete Windows partition backup which can be useful later on.