All iPads Replacing iPad with the 5.5" iPhone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by citivolus, Jun 14, 2014.

1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I've owned every iPad along with my iPhones through the years. Now that I have a rMBP too, I'm finally thinking of getting rid of my iPad Air when I upgrade to the 5.5" iPhone. Anyone else in the same boat?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can you live with using such small device (compared to the iPad air)?

3. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's definitely to be seen...my biggest use of the iPad out of the house is Splashtop--how usable this appears on the 5.5" iPhone will be the determining factor for me. Around the house, I can use my rMBP to replace the iPad. Would love to consolidate three devices to two!

4. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Maybe to replace the Mini, I highly doubt the Air though.

5. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I love the iPhone. There is no replacing it. But that said, it is certainly not great for web browsing I don't think a 5.5 inch screen will help that much either. I am typing this in a rMini at home. I could be stationary at a computer, but I would not be using my phone to post this. I don't like navigating the MacRoumors forum with a phone. And I spend a lot of my spare time here.
    At least keep your iPad until you get the 5.5 inch phone and see if it is as easy to use for what you like to do.

6. Imaginator macrumors regular

I'm planning on replacing my iPad mini retina with a 5.5" iPhone 6

7. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

8. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I say it would depend if it ran iPhone apps or iPad apps. Though that last sentence is enough to say it will probably won't run iPad-design apps (which is a shame). But I personally prefer fewer devices, so if one iPhone can replace/combine two devices, then yes.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

And who says they are 100% for sure coming out with an iPhone 5.5"

10. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course nothing's a given, but it seems likely a larger screen iPhone will be released this fall. That being said, I will definitely overlap before getting rid of the Air. It's the LTE model so the overlap with my iPhone is moderate.

11. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I am also planning on getting a 5.5" iPhone if it comes out, but I definitely wouldn't replace my iPad with it. I mostly read on my iPad and even with the increase in size with the phone, I think it would still be too small for reading for any extended periods of time. And unless there is a dramatic increase in battery life, I don't think I could feasibly use my phone more throughout the day. As it is, there are some days when I take it off the charger at 5am and by 5pm I am down to 20% and putting it back on the charger.

12. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

As an owner of a large phone, it doesn't really compare to an iPad especially a full sized one.

13. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have to say I'm really surprised by the responses to this thread that replacing an iPad with the 5.5" iphone doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as I thought.

14. AT101ET macrumors 6502

How can a 5.5" phone replace a 8.9" or 10+" tablet?

15. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

that is only if the 5.5" is released. What happens if there is only one size?

16. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I don't want a 5.5" phone. This is the last thing I want from my iPhone. The 4.7" will be my limit. For those who don't have a suit on or a handbag, a phone of that size is monstrous for a pocket.

17. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

First off, when you say "finally", it sort of implies that you've had your iPad Air for longer than the eight months that the iPad Air has been on the market.

Secondly, you're talking about replacing a 9.7" Tablet with a 5.5" smartphone. If we were talking about an iPad mini AND you also had an iPad Air, then fine, I could see the discontinued use of the iPad mini in favor of the would-be 5.5" iPhone, but even then there absolutely are differences in use between those two devices.

18. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been wishing to consolidate my use of my iPad and iPhone for years, so yes, that qualifies as "finally". This desire is not limited to just my most recent iPad (which is the Air).

While I completely agree that even most of the use cases of full-sized iPads are not adequately satisfied by any size iPhone, I'm hoping that in my case, the compromise I would make on real estate would be tolerable and not limit my utility so much as to make it un-enjoyable, with the trade-off being one less device to carry.

19. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

No way, the applications that are custom tailored for the iPad make it worth keeping around. They often offer a much richer experience than you would find on an iPhone app.

20. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I'll put it this way: You can take an iPad Air around many more places than would be reasonable with any MacBook Pro, retina or otherwise. And you can take an iPhone around that many more places than would be reasonable with any full-sized iPad, Air or otherwise. Given this, I don't think it's fair to say that even a 5.5" iPhone will completely eliminate the ability an iPad Air would offer over said iPhone UNLESS you never really made use of the things that are superior on an iPad Air over an iPhone. Personally, a full-sized iPad is a discretely different beast.

If you were to instead say that you have a retina MacBook Pro, an iPad Air, and an iPad mini, and you'd want to make the case for the iPhone cannibalizing the iPad mini, I'd say sure because at that point, the iPad mini is already an in-between device and, while I find there to be a discrete purpose for it (separate from a full-sized iPad or an iPhone), I tend to be in the minority there.

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I love big screens so I am going to replace an iPhone 5s this Fall. :apple:

22. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Great point. I think most people forget that a big iPhone and an iPad aren't different because of screen size but also because they sometimes run different apps. If you replace your iPad with a big iPhone, you're missing out on all of the iPad-specific apps.

23. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Oh, i think its time for me to upgrade to Iphone 4.7 screen. 5.5 is just little too big for a take with me device.

I think the only reason u would ditch the air is because u do not need a tablet. For me, Ipad 2 will be my last. Its heavy, its useless compare to laptop. I think Ipad is all hyped. Apple make u think that you need it, you don't.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a 5" phone (Nokia Lumia) and it hasn't replaced my rMini. Not because its on iOS and the phone is WP8.1 but rather the larger display of the Mini gives me the screen real estate and resolution that makes reading/using it a joy.

If/when apple releases the iPhone 6, I think my response will be the same. A larger phone has some nice features but the rMini is better at certain tasks.

25. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I had a Note 3. It by no stretch can replace a 10" tablet. Gaming and video themselves rocks on an Air.