Replacing My Rattling/Dead Pixel 4S - Offered REFURB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by X3NIA, Oct 19, 2011.

1. X3NIA, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

X3NIA macrumors member

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I'd go back in. They usually replace things like that in the store. Did you buy it at the Apple Store?

3. X3NIA thread starter macrumors member

Bought at Apple.com, The replacement order is already through but I'm seriously having second thoughts.

Then again, a REFURB 4 days into the device's release? What?

4. lilo777 macrumors 603

Not surprising. With Apple profits missing market estimates for 3rd quarter expect the company to start saving on customer support. If it's any consolation you might be one of the first to experience their new policy ;)

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I doubt these are refurbs already. They are likely "service units" that are used early on in situations like yours. It is brand new, but lacks all the extra packaging. They won't have refurbs for at least a month.

I had a problem with a brand new 3GS and brought it in the 2nd day after launch. They replaced it with this "service unit" and explained 3 times that it was not a refurb although it looked like it since it came in a refurb box.

6. curitibagarrett macrumors member

The rattling is common to almost all 4s's. There was a post about this here.

7. X3NIA thread starter macrumors member

Are you 100% sure? I'm on the phone about to ask to talk to a manager to get a guaranteed new (or at least non refurb) phone.

I figured as much but a dead pixel is not, If I'm paying THIS AMOUNT of money I better get a new, perfect phone. Know what I mean?

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

No, i'm not 100% sure. I don't work for Apple. But a little bit of logic and reasoning goes a long way.

9. curitibagarrett macrumors member

I agree with you one that. How the hell do you see a dead pixel with the pixel density?

10. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Even if you do get a refurb (which is unlikely), that is what you get. Period.

Who cares if you get a refurb? It is like new. That is the way it works.

If you have any experience with Apple refurbished products, you know they are EXACTLY like new. If you find something wrong with the refurb, take it back. It is as simple as that.

11. X3NIA thread starter macrumors member

Just talked to someone who sounded like they knew a little more and he cut me off before I even finished with "I KNOW you're not getting a refurb. We do not have refurbs. I am 120% Positive"

Well, thats a bit less stress for the night :)

Thread answered I guess. Original guy obviously didn't know what he was talking about in terms of replacing a near-release phone. Second guy said the same MBHockey said. Thanks guys :)

Haven't had any experience with Apple Refurbs which is why I was concerned. It was more an issue of "I'm still in the return period. If I don't get a new iPhone I'll just buy another" situation.

I mean I PAID for a new, working phone. Just because there were quality control issues doesn't mean I now have to pay new price for a previously used (however little it may have been) phone.

I DO work in retail and empathize with companies on returns... Expecting a new phone 2 months after you bought it is unrealistic... Expecting it 4 days after is not.

Experience working with electronics inside and out, selling them for a while and repairing them for my past job leads me to be a little OCD about the quality of these things.

Plus my DSLR zooming in on it confirmed that the entire pixel is black and unresponsive :p

12. ToddyT macrumors newbie

Ease up buddy.

Yes, hearing the word refurb sucks, but you need to understand that in the case of getting a 'Refurb' so early into the iPhone 4S release, you're actually lucky.

A majority of Refurbs or Service Parts (especially when they're a new released product) is an iPhone that was purchased and then returned because the consumer changed their mind or they bought it as a gift for someone who already had one, etc.

Stop worrying your head off.

13. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Even if it is a refurb this early in the phones life, the rufurb will carry the same warranty, it will appear as if its a NEW phone and have gone through a much greater testing procedure with Apple to be certified as a refurb. .

14. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I think it is more likely that they have to set the expectation of a refurb as even though it may be a new device, it may be in non-retail packaging.

Given the timing of the release and the lag between getting the devices back to be reconditioned it seems the odds of them having a used device that has been reconditioned to return to you would be pretty low.

However, if you just took in the phone and didn't take in the accessories then that means they can just ship you the device only in a brown box so they don't have to worry with retail packaging and accessories. The odds of them having a percentage of production units they put in plain brown boxes to ship immediately as replacements seem much higher at this point.

I think the serial numbers are different for refurbs but I'm not sure if I read that or I dreamed it...

15. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Take it back and get your full refund then repurchase?

16. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

why does it matter? It will work and look perfect. Stop whinng like a retard. Relax. Jesus man.

17. barachus macrumors regular

Of course there are refurbs already, what do you think they did with all those excess old iPhone fours that got rejected over the year? rebranded the casing changed the internals and voila! You have a refurbish 4s:p

18. X3NIA thread starter macrumors member

Except there have been cases (Though I won't say with Apple, because I don't know) that refurbs ARE in bad condition and are not of the quality of new, out of the box products.

I wasn't "whinng", I was concerned about the quality of a phone I've just paid top dollar for.

I'm completely at ease now, The thread is solved and that's it :)

:eek::D

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Please don't edit the post to nothing. Someone else may have the same problem but will never know since the premise has been changed.

Use the "resolved" prefix instead or just ADD to the original post.

B

20. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

this. very confusing. trying to figure out what the original problem was by piecing together all the posts is annoying and not helpful at all

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

What a stupid post.

In July my friend bought a NEW iPhone. His brand new iPhone had dead pixels on the screen. Apple offered a replacement iPhone. He deserved a NEW one since he paid for a new phone which was only one day old, not a previously used replacement.

So he ended up returning the dead pixel, getting the upgrade back and re buying it again.

22. chdwil macrumors regular

Except that they will post record 4th quarter profits from 4s sales. The 3rd quarter did not include 4s sales as it ended before its release. And they have always used refurbished phone. But since they don't have any to refurbish, it will likely be a new phone.

23. ezramoore, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011

ezramoore macrumors 6502a

If you must have a new phone, thats a fine way to do it.

However, he didn't deserve a new phone by retail standards. He deserved (according to Apple's return policy and warranty) a "like new" phone.

If it makes that big of a deal to you to have a brand-new phone, your friend's way is the way to go.

For most people, it would be a complete waste of time to do it that way.

24. AndrewR23, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011

AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Bullsh**. He DID deserve a new phone. He bought a Brand new phone from Apple! IT HAD A FAULT! Why does he not deserve another NEW????? phone from Apple when he bought a brand new iphone that is only a few days old?

Case A...Your telling me if I buy a BRAND NEW iPhone 4 and right outta the box it has a broken home button. I take it to Apple and they give me a replacement (refurb-like new etc) Why do I deserve a replacement phone when my brand new iPhone is broken out of the box?

25. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Once you take it home, you get a "like new" replacement.