Reply window and quote ability is seriously bugged !!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by spinedoc77, Oct 15, 2015.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm getting a lot of frustrating in using the forums when I replay, and especially when I quote someone.

If I write a reply, do NOT post it, and decide to leave the page that reply stays in the reply box forever. So now whenever I go to the reply box I have to delete my prior reply.

Also when I quote people, or rather "reply" to them it never copies there quote into the text box. I have to multi quote then paste it in. Not sure if this is by design, but the old forums never did that and it's a pita to work around.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hitting the reply button quotes for me. What browser are you using? Can you try another one?

Also, you can delete the draft using the disk button:

arn

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 8.06.15 PM.png

3. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Cool, I didn't realize there was a delete button. I'll try it and see if it sticks. I'm using Modern IE11 in win8.1

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

I also have various issues like the ones mentioned by the OP.

Safari on iOS9

5. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

I just tested to make sure, but pressing reply again on multiple posts still works. Plus, arn's suggestion also works. You shouldn't have issues if you do what he says.

6. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I never did get it to work, but have since upgraded to Win10 so don't have modern IE anymore. Macrumors has it's own set of issues with Edge browser though.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Everything with quoting on this site is a mess since they upgraded tbh. I tried a lot to do multi quotes and all I got was a bunch of duplicates/post replying but not waking the replies post/empty etc. I complained already, but still many issues. So I decided to do individual replies and got a moderator note about it today. Ridiculous tbh. Hell in the end of the old system you could reply at several times and if no one had posted after you then they get tacked on the same post as to not create unless early extra post. But this new system doesn't even do the basics well.

I acres this forum on my 6s and Mba 2015 so it's not like I'm using old software.

8. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

I find it all much better. Auto-saved drafts is very handy.

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I've also had this happen no matter what browser I use on OS X or Windows. I've started to reply and then changed my mind. Went back hourse later or the next day to post a reply and the old reply along with the new reply gets posted. I had to hurry and edit my post to get rid of the old reply.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

In the post reply box tool bar there is a floppy disk icon button. This saves drafts of posts and if you have one you don't need anymore, click the button and use the delete draft option.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like things can get saved even without the use of that button (when people don't necessarily want them to be saved).

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes, replies are auto-saved after a short amount of time.

13. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yep that's what I've been seeing. I haven't multi quoted in a while for some strange reason, but doing it just now seemed to work fine, but I'm on desktop IE11 at work. I'm still having a lot of issues with Edge and MR.

The old reply sticking is horrible, who wants to mistakenly post that ill tempered rant you wrote a week ago? Lol, seriously.