Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
The only time I ever drink bottled water is when I'm on a road trip and want cold, fresh water. Otherwise I never do. At home I usually drink filtered water and otherwise I'll drink from the tap :eek: (I know, scandalous).

Reactions: BigMcGuire

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Uhm, hi, this is a public service announcement: just wanted to remind you that buying bottled water (hauled around on diesel trucks too) amounts to ecocide and is immoral

That's all, please continue.
The house you're living in is 1000% more inmoral.

Reactions: Breezygirl

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011

Uh, yes?
You are wasting tonnes of plastic and diesel fuel to move water around when there's a perfectly serviceable tap in your house?

Then I hope you aren’t buying any imported goods such as food, clothing, machinery, vehicles, etc. or you just may be a murderer too. :confused:

Wall, yeah, buying goods generally needs a pretty big justification, unnecessary consumption is immoral.
Most certainly there is no need to import most necessary goods, don't know you but my bread isn't made in China.

Buying imported goods does the advantage of not feeding domestic economy and more generally domestic capitalism, which is a pretty noble purpose. It's everybody's duty to turn one's country into a slightly poorer North Korea.

The house you're living in is 1000% more inmoral.

On the immorality of my landlord I can agree.

SaxnFlutman

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
I cannot believe so many intelligent people, who think they give a damn about the planet, & even their own health, waste money, roll the dice with trusting what they're buying, and have to deal with the cumbersome task of lugging home cases of plastic-bottled water, at this point in time! For about the past 35 years, I've been enjoying the simplicity, health, and lack of adding tons of plastic to the environment, by using a "point-of-use purifier".

You have unlimited, purified drinking water, with which to drink, cook with, and can fill up your own water bottles to take with you, as I do on every gig I have. They pay for themselves many times over, add far more convenience to your life, and you have no doubt you are drinking water without plastic, or other toxins, while helping reduce the amount of plastic added to our already far too plasticized world! Please, go buy one, Multi-Pure has been making a great one, and that's what I've used for about 35 years.

halluxsinister

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2017
The study has not been published in a journal and has not been through scientific peer review.

Okay, well, let us know when it is, in the meantime, I'll just ignore it, since one can say literally anything, make any claim, no matter how absurd, and if it hasn't gone through some kind of quality control, i.e., peer review, it might as well have been found first scrawled on the inside of a men's room stall, for the heed we should all pay it, until it is independently verified.

What I'm saying here is, this information strikes me as being exactly as credible as the assertion, I've read somewhere, that if you are interested in having a good time, you should call 867-5309, and ask for "Jenny". (Actually, THAT was peer reviewed, published in the Tutone Journal, but without the area code, finding her turned out to be a daunting task.)

Reactions: obeygiant

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Okay, well, let us know when it is, in the meantime, I'll just ignore it, since one can say literally anything, make any claim, no matter how absurd, and if it hasn't gone through some kind of quality control, i.e., peer review, it might as well have been found first scrawled on the inside of a men's room stall, for the heed we should all pay it, until it is independently verified.

What I'm saying here is, this information strikes me as being exactly as credible as the assertion, I've read somewhere, that if you are interested in having a good time, you should call 867-5309, and ask for "Jenny". (Actually, THAT was peer reviewed, published in the Tutone Journal, but without the area code, finding her turned out to be a daunting task.)

Damnit. Now that song is stuck in my head. Lol

sfkeepay

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
It's amazing to me that reports like this come out and the reaction from most people is to just shrug their shoulders and say, big deal, I'll continue to do what I've always done, its not as bad as all that.

it's probably not just bottled water and it's probably not just plastic bottles. Sodas, coffees and teas probably also have plastics in them. Not to mention all of the paper containers with plastic screw top lids that most things like soups come in. It's most likely in everything.

When news like this comes out, the bottled water companies should go out of business overnight because consumers refuse to intake harmful materials. Instead, it's no big deal.

You will reap what you sow. Frogs.

Also, I can't wait until the reports come out 10-20 years from now which actually proves Bluetooth and wifi signals cause cancerous tumors with constant, prolonged use. I'll remember to wave as I pass all of you in the hospital on life support. Hahahaha.

1. When “...news like this comes out...” it's probably more helpful to reflect on what history has taught us about such information, and that is to be skeptical and cautious. As ill-advised as it would be to altogether ignore the news, so to would be enacting dramatic changes “overnight” in response to a single report, especially one not yet subjected to peer review, let alone replication or actual toxicology studies. Just conjure a list of suddenly-discovered threats that trumpeted their existential dangers for a month, or perhaps a year, and then by actual facts were, at length, put into a saner perspective, or faded into near or total obscurity? Satanic cult murders, road rage, Y2K, Japan Inc., dietary fat, peak oil, killer gangs, planet-wide starvation, vaccines and autism, rock and roll, Audi acceleration, fluoridation, video game violence, lead fillings, exploding Pintos, Islamic terrorism, GMOs....and so on, and on...probably to include, forgive me, electromagnetic radiation and cancer.

2. If we happen across you in the hospital on life support, we promise to remember you, and to stop in and ask how you're doing. Maybe we'll all have some catching up to do, if you're up for it, but either way, most of us will hope you get to go home soon, and that you'll be okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

AmazingRobie

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
1. When “...news like this comes out...” it's probably more helpful to reflect on what history has taught us about such information, and that is to be skeptical and cautious. As ill-advised as it would be to altogether ignore the news, so to would be enacting dramatic changes “overnight” in response to a single report, especially one not yet subjected to peer review, let alone replication or actual toxicology studies. Just conjure a list of suddenly-discovered threats that trumpeted their existential dangers for a month, or perhaps a year, and then by actual facts were, at length, put into a saner perspective, or faded into near or total obscurity? Satanic cult murders, road rage, Y2K, Japan Inc., dietary fat, peak oil, killer gangs, planet-wide starvation, vaccines and autism, rock and roll, Audi acceleration, fluoridation, video game violence, lead fillings, exploding Pintos, Islamic terrorism, GMOs....and so on, and on...probably to include, forgive me, electromagnetic radiation and cancer.

2. If we happen across you in the hospital on life support, we promise to remember you, and to stop in and ask how you're doing. Maybe we'll all have some catching up to do, if you're up for it, but either way, most of us will hope you get to go home soon, and that you'll be okay.

Dear smart guy...or gal. Whether you or anyone else likes it, we exist in a soup full of invisible, (to the naked eye), vibrational frequencies or waves. Constantly adding more to upset the balance you are already experiencing will have gradual long term effects on the microscopic parts which you consist of. Most of what you've suggested to be issues which have faded into obscurity were and are nonsense created by the media for sensationalism, not problems brought to light by scientific investigation. Some of the issues mentioned have not faded into obscurity, but are real problems being ignored. GMOs are not accepted internationally for very good reason. Whether they cause illness/birth defects or not, giving corporations the right to patent your food stuffs thus making production of your own crops illegal will lead to global health issues, but hey, I'm not one to tell you not to take the vaccines or give them to your family. I'm no vegan. I don't care how you live it up. As long as it's not mandatory, it doesn't affect me or my family, so by all means, please, go get yourself that really big high fructose corn syrup meal, then wash it all down with some really cold fluoridated water, right before you go out and stand in line to get your vaccines like a good little froggie. Have a good time and enjoy it while you're here, but the plastic in the packaging affects everyone and it deserves to be investigated further, if not temporarily stopped entirely until the problem has been rectified.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.