Report: Android poised to pass Apple in the tablet market

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rogifan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

LOOOOOOL :D

http://www.vision2mobile.com/news/2012/04/android-poised-to-pass-apple-in-the-tablet-market.aspx
    ANDROID POISED TO PASS APPLE IN THE TABLET MARKET
    3 hours ago By Lindsay Welnick

Android could soon overtake Apple for majority market share in the U.S. tablet market.

Javelin, a boutique research firm, recently published a report saying that 42 percent of the 16-million-strong U.S. tablet market own an Android device, while 55 percent own an Apple device, according to ZDNet. It's a gap that's dwindling dramatically.

“Piece by piece, Android tablets have a pretty big share of the market," said Mary Monahan, Javelin's research director, in the report.

But should we take these numbers at face value? Respondents could account for more than one tablet, so the total market share was 119 percent rather than just 100 percent, ZDNet pointed out. Therefore, Android might really only account for closer to 35 percent of the U.S. tablet market.

A big reason for Android's surge is the $200 Amazon Kindle Fire, which Javelin says is owned by 10 percent of respondents.

“For the future, Google Android is expected to continue to gain consumer market share at Apple’s expense, until it takes the lead," Javelin reported. "While Android’s gains have come at the expense of profits, price-cutting is an established platform strategy that has paid big dividends in the past. Although Apple is clearly the innovator, the sheer number of Google Android tablets, price ranges, and carriers will soon prove overwhelming."

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If I was Apple, I wouldn't be laughing. I'm old enough to remember when IBM was going to take over the planet...

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

4. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I still remember when android phones got laughed at. There is always growing pains in the beginning. Look at Hyundai. I thought they were finished.

5. anonymous12 macrumors member

6. Feltzem macrumors regular

Sales numbers are not proportional to quality. I think most people would agree that for now at least the iPad is the best tablet.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

But where are they? When I'm out and about I sure don't see people with other tablets. I see lots of Kindles, but not non-iPad tablets.

Probably they're ashamed to be seen with them.

8. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

This doesn't surprise me. Everyone is ALWAYS trying to compare an operating system that is only installed on 1 hardware manufactures device, with an operating system that is installed on a six or more...

Compare Apple's tablet sales to Samsung's tablet sales, Motorola, etc... not iOS to Android. Making much ado about nothing in my mind.

9. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I still don't buy these numbers. Especially with Kindle Fires included in the Android total. What Android tablets are people buying in large quantities?
    And when Windows 8 tablets hit the market won't they be as much of a threat to Android (if not more so) than to Apple?

----------

Outside of Kindles what non-Apple tablets are selling in large quantities. And has Amazon ever provided sales figures on the Kindle Fire? Do we even know how many have been sold so far?

10. Bheleu macrumors 6502

My guess is they poll people and it's based on those they are polling. Would you be tempted with a discounted $50 droid to add to your iOS bundle? Occasionally you see bargains release on the deal sites, something Apple has not needed to do. :apple: retina has no droid equivalent so far.

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

My father has an iPad. He thinks it's a computer (and he does actually have a computer, but he thinks the screen is a computer and the computer is a keyboard.

Sometimes he calls his iPad his Apple. The one thing he never, ever calls it is an iPad.

The chances of getting an accurate answer out of him about what he owns are nil.

12. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

If true, it will be good for apple. Competition is good for all of us. Maybe apple will be a little less stubborn and give us some customization and other silly things that have been around since 1995 like mark/select all in mail, not closing the app store when you download an app, giving us a skip forward button for ipod, allowing us to customize colors of chat bubbles (gasp!), and heaven forbid font face and color.

Love my iPad but apple needs to open up a bit.

13. ktmelvis macrumors member

Its a interesting article, Im not sure what to think about it yet, but I know of two people who bought the Kindle Fires because they were cheap, now they both have purchased new gen 3 iPads because it does everything they want and more, both people basically said after using the Kindle Fire for a while, they wish they had an iPad.

14. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

15. Bheleu macrumors 6502

No place to go but up???

It's like Tim Cook said at product announcement, 'Everyone wants to know who is going to build a better Tablet, we are!' Android has no place to go but up, but the king of tablets is king for a reason. Until Google begins to build their own hardware with their software, it is not a real competition. Splintered product development is never going to tump integrated product development in terms of quality. Occasionally you will get clever programmers who make hardware shine no matter what the platform; however, that is not your base platform or core Apps. Apple has shown again and again great new Apps developed concurrently with hardware. They have had the Vision(TM) for a future progress path with hardware that has been on par with the software on a useful level. Multi-tasking can be done, just buy more iPads. It's not like you can focus on more than one task at a time anyways. If you can, load up GarageBand and play multiple instruments at once with a semblance of cohesive sound.

16. mcsenerd macrumors regular

So long as the rest of the market is scraping by with single digit profit margins for the most part...I think Apple could give a rat's arse about who sells the largest number of devices so long as their core buyers remain loyal...which I have no reason to believe that they won't.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Much thanks for that video. Couple of very cool apps there for an Android tablet. I bought the Overskreen browser because of it.

The future is allowing multiple tablet apps onscreen at the same time, just like we're used doing to on normal computers.

You don't have to use them, but man are they handy at times.

18. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Junk article.

Reading the rest of it

"Because respondents could indicate if they owned more than one tablet, Javelin’s total added up to 119%. Dividing 42 by 119, Android really had closer to 35% of the U.S. tablet market.

(Here’s my post with charts compiling other analyst forecasts for the global tablet market. And here’s a list of large enterprise Android tablet deployments.)

Of course, Amazon’s Kindle Fire was not available when Forrester did its survey last September. According to Javelin, 10% of American adults had a Kindle Fire in December.

Bolstered by the Kindle, Javelin predicts that Android will eventually overtake the iPad, though it doesn’t say when."

From a report of browser connects at public WiFi hotspots I believe Android will overtake iPad when donkeys fly.

19. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I'm not a techie so I don't need multiple devices to play around with. I don't care how cheap they are.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

In other news, research indicates that far more people own a copy of the Mona Lisa than own the actual Mona Lisa. Sales of the actual Mona Lisa continue to plummet.

21. Radio macrumors 68000

okay - well you know android is catching up from all angles

don't put your guard down apple!

22. batotman macrumors 6502

Oh yeah, the 30 different tablets altogether might make a dent. Still junk. Even the quad core TF Prime felt slow as molasses to me. Fragmentation. They're not even trying. Phones are worse. HTC has like 16 different models right now. It's totally stupid.

23. GoodToGo macrumors newbie

I love it when folks call the kindle fire an android tablet. Its not one, it runs a completely different version of android and is really just a content deliverer. Take it out of the equation and see how well the rest of the tablets fare.
    Recently Asus transformer figures were out and it was pathetic. Something like 80000 pre-orders or close. Really LOL in face of iPad sales figures.

24. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I can't fault my Transformer Prime personally performance wise. I've had 2 firmware updates since owning it (one when I first turned it on, another shortly afterwards) and fragmentation doesn't seem to be an issue either. If it runs on my Galaxy Nexus, it runs on my Prime.

HTC have learned from their busy release schedule which is why the 2012 will be focused on the HTC One X, one S and One V. All three tiers of smartphone covered (high end, mid range and low end) on three devices.

That saying, my whole family loves our iPad and I use my Transformer exclusivly.

25. nfl46 macrumors 603

I guess people now see why Apple is waiting to release a cheaper 7.85" tablet. They are waiting on the perfect opportunity.