MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release a 10.8-inch iPad with an OLED display next year, followed by the company's second iPad with an OLED display in 2023, according to a new report from The Elec.

ipadairdisplay.jpg

The Elec, which has a mixed track record on reporting on Apple's plans, claims that the iPad being planned for release next year will feature a 10.8-inch screen size, likely hinting it may be the 5th generation iPad Air. According to the report, the iPad will use a rigid OLED display panel that "stacks organic material and inorganic material in alternative layers to protect the organic material from water and oxygen."

Looking out to 2023, Apple is reportedly planning multiple iPads with an OLED display that will use flexible OLED display panels rather than rigid OLED. For the 2023 iPads, the company may also implement LTPO technology which enables ProMotion 120Hz refresh rate, a feature currently exclusive to the iPad Pro.
For the iPads launching in 2023, Cupertino could use flexible OLED over rigid OLED. It could also change the TFT from LTPS to low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LTPO). The RGB emission layer could also be the "tandem" structure where two layers of them are stacked together.
A separate report in May, from the South Korean website ETNews, said that Apple will use OLED panels in "some" iPad models starting next year but didn't specify which iPads.

Today's report, outlining a 10.86-inch screen size, likely means it will be an updated iPad Air. Apple last updated the iPad Air this past fall with an updated all-screen design and the company's flagship A14 Bionic processor. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also previously reported that an updated iPad Air in 2022 will adopt OLED displays, while mini-LED, just launched this past April in the iPad Pro, will remain exclusive to the high-end iPad.

Article Link: Report: Apple to Release 5th-Gen iPad Air With OLED Display Next Year

Isengardtom

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2009
This would imply that apple sees mini LED to be the better technology right.
I assume this also means the 11” pro will become mini LED?

Comment

Vol Braakzakje

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2019
Interesting. I think it is really important to think about how you use the iPad. OLED is probably better if you do a lot of movie watching at night in bed.
Mini LED is better if you use your iPad primarily at day time, as the higher brightness will be much more useful than the darkness of oled.

Gives people a choice, which is good imho. I’d still go for the mini led because I need the iPad in bright light.

Comment

alpi123

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2014
This would imply that apple sees mini LED to be the better technology right.
I assume this also means the 11” pro will become mini LED?
Depends on the use. Both can be good or bad.

miniLED is brighter but has blooming, and in the end, it's still an LCD panel. The contrast ratio is standard unless viewing HDR content.

OLED has true blacks, a 1:infinity contrast ratio, and no blooming, but can suffer from burn in and PWM (some people are sensitive to it).

Comment

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
So I guess the mini is what gets OLED in 2023, they seem to be alternating updating the mini and Air each year. 2020 - Air redesign, 2021 - mini redesign, 2022 - Air OLED, 2023 - mini OLED...

Comment

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2017
UK
I think we're seeing the end of the 11" iPad Pro, The Air will cover the 11" size with an OLED display and touch ID and the Pro line will become 12.9" and maybe 14-15" as reported earlier with larger models being tested.

The 11" Pro missed out on mini LED and that was a disgrace tbh.

Comment

Lukomaldini

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
Interesting choice! I think I may prefer mini led to OLED tbh, my brother has an OLED tv and he always worries about burn in to the extent he won’t really watch sports or news channels because of the static content, hes probably over panicking but he doesn’t want to risk it. Me on the other hand with the mini led I don’t have to worry about that, plus HDR looks amazing on the iPad whereas oled can struggle to reach the same brightness. OLED does have inkier blacks but I think the difference is fairly negligible, blooming is there but not in 99% of use cases.

what I think future generation of iPad Pro’s will have is more dimming zones i.e. Currently there are 4 mini leds to a dimming zone, ideally they could go down to 1 led is it’s own dimming zone, bringing it even closer to oled with less blooming etc

just my 2 cents

Comment

I@beck

macrumors member
May 23, 2021
Strange!! IPad Air adopt OLED while IPad Pro adopt mini LED. So Air getting better display then Pro ones. Hmmmmmm……. Apple, please don’t do that to me

Comment

snipr125

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Apple giving a lot of love and attention to the Air line, and rightly so as it is their mainstream ipad like the regular iphone 12 and sells in the tens of millions along with the entry level ipad. They gave the Air 4 a massive overhaul with Pro features and design, introduced the A14 bionic first on it, 5 different colours and even developed power button Touch ID specifically for it. Now they are going to debut OLED on the Air 5, so that the masses get the best screen available for media consumption (mini led is better for real pro use) at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Comment

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
An OLED Air would be nice, and OLED what I’ve been waiting for in an iPad. The addition of 5G will also be nice for those who need it. However, it would be a disappointment if it doesn’t get Face ID; I’m predicting it will have Touch ID. I’d settle for Watch unlock, but Apple seems to be limiting that to the Macs, and excluding iPads. Also, 64 GB is not enough for me, but 256 GB is overkill. At 256 GB, that costs as much as the entry level 11” Pro.

BTW, I’m predicting they will keep the 11” Pro around with Face ID and 128 GB entry level, but it wouldn’t get OLED. I’m thinking it will remain LCD, but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of it getting mini-LED LCD like its big sister. It would also continue to have more RAM than the Air.

Comment

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2013
I think we're seeing the end of the 11" iPad Pro, The Air will cover the 11" size with an OLED display and touch ID and the Pro line will become 12.9" and maybe 14-15" as reported earlier with larger models being tested.

Agree. Apple seems to hate the 11" pro. Doesn't make sense to have two 11" ipads (then again they have two 6.1" iphones so who knows).

• Sad
Reactions: Tagbert
Comment

xpxp2002

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2016
Put OLED in everything BUT always keep at least 1 iPad and 1 iPhone (both up to date) with LCD for PWM sensitive people…
Agreed. I’ve been holding off on upgrading my iPad Pro 10.5, but I’ll make sure to get the last one with mini LED so I don’t have to suffer with the PWM on the iPad too.

The PWM on the iPhone X was tolerable, but on the 12 mini has been a lot worse. I miss iPhones with IPS LCDs so much. 😢

Reactions: andrefillipe
Comment

jcshas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003

Totally agree with this. I feel like Apple will continue to make some features exclusive to the 12.9 IPP, and eventually just stop making the 11”.

• Sad
Reactions: Tagbert
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.