Report Claims AirPods 3 With Noise Canceling Feature to Launch Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 24, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

DigiTimes reports this morning that Apple is set to launch third-generation AirPods with a noise cancelation function by the end of the year, a claim at odds with rumors that Apple's AirPods 3 have been pushed back to 2020.

[​IMG]
    Today's report claims that Apple will fend off competition from rival brands of true wireless earbuds by including a noise-canceling function in its third-generation AirPods, although doing so could throw up new design and assembly challenges.
    Taiwan's Inventec is said to be uniquely positioned to meet the production challenges of AirPods 3, thanks to its extensive assembly experiences, giving the manufacturer a better chance of winning assembly orders from Apple than China's Luxshare Precision. As it stands, the assemblers command an equal share of orders for AirPods 2, which launched just last month.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has also claimed that Apple's third-generation AirPods could include noise cancellation features, as well as a new design, and perhaps improved water resistance that will allow the AirPods to hold up to "splashes of water and rain." However, Gurman believes that AirPods 3 won't be coming until 2020, based on his understanding that Apple's second-generation AirPods were delayed by a year, which has pushed back the earbuds' launch cycle.

Apple released AirPods 2 in March with optional wireless charging and hands-free Siri functionality. For all the details on what's different between the first-gen and second-gen AirPods models, check out our dedicated comparison guide.

Article Link: Report Claims AirPods 3 With Noise Canceling Feature to Launch Later This Year

2. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

Don't noise cancelling headphones need to seal in one way or other? That sort of rules out AirPods without a design change before its begun.

3. fokmik macrumors 68040

Please erase DIGITIMES as rumour source
    Digitimes last time said airpower is in mass production

4. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

My guess is they postponed launch of AirPods 2 to try to finish up and release the AirPower, but when they realized that wasn't going to happen, they finally released them. I bet the AirPods 3 have been in development since early last year when the AirPods 2 were finished.

5. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

No. What you are refering to is PASSIVE Noise cancellation. While it works better to combine active and passive noise cancellation, it is not necessary per se.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 24, 2019 ---
    Who said it wasn't? Maybe they were starting production and then realized they couldn't get the potential flaws under control.
    I would agree with that. I guess Airpods 2 is a last year product. There are many things pointing to that conclusion such as the conference video that features airpods with Hey Siri months before it was released.

6. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

This is bogus. Without a seal, it's pointless. If they're going to add NR, they have to fundamentally change the design. That's possible, but seems unlikely.

7. Mimiron macrumors member

8. vaxes macrumors member

This wouldn't surprise me, they have form.
    The iPad 4 came out 8 months after the iPad 3.
    Still annoyed about that and one of the reasons I never replaced my iPad 3.

-AE

9. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

10. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

They better. AirPods 2 were more like AirPods 1.5.

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Judging by the fact that AirPower was already PRINTED on the back of the new AirPods packaging makes me believe it was indeed being mass produced and something serious was discovered that they had to cancel it. This explains also the timing of the cancellation.

12. fokmik macrumors 68040

Please make a diff in mass production, and just test production...And this isnt the only time digitimes is just a false source
    There is production for limited testing...and mass production

13. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

Noise cancelling (on/off availability) separates good ear-phones from the best ones. Good news. A new design should be expected at this point

14. Swift macrumors 68000

Swift

Active noise-canceling, no. It takes the difference signal from each ear and broadcasts negative polarities... well, something like that. It isolates the signal from the noise digitally, using signal processing.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Let me know when there is an optional color other than white to choose from.

16. ph001bi macrumors regular

Digitimes eh?
    I am surprised that they haven’t announced that they’ll launched bundled with AirPower.

17. squizzler macrumors member

squizzler

My question is why do they need noise cancellation in the first place? Pods were never about noise cancellation. I personally prefer to hear what’s going on around me while walking down the street so I don’t get run over by someone. Too many idiots out there glued to their phones not paying attention, add noise cancelling headphones = zombie.

18. arch1t3cton macrumors newbie

arch1t3cton

I thought AirPods had noise cancellation tech of some sort?!?! Oh well...

19. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

Noise cancelation is overrated. The only time I'd want it is if I'm on a plane or very loud metro, but to walk around the city with such headphones one must be a complete moron.

20. ksec macrumors 6502a

I just think the Apple Roadmap are all over the place, basically apart from iPhone which have to be shipping on time, everything else is out of sync. From AirPower, AirPod 2 which was obviously ready for a long time but waiting for AirPower. MacBook Air Retina which was obviously a stop gap solution to their MacBook lineup due to Intel 10nm misstep. MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro and Mac Pro. iPad 4 coming few months just after iPad 3, the iPad Pro Display Size changes.

It would have been ok if this was Dell or HP. But Apple used to take a very long view into its evolution process. Now only iPhone is left with that tradition. Everything else is like patch work.

I don't doubt AirPod 3 could be ready this Fall, but it would be silly to release it just 6 months after AirPod 2. Had the AirPod 2 been just a Wireless casing upgrade it would have been ok, but it had an H1 Chip, and if any more improvement such as noise cancellation were to come, H2 would have been needed. Tim Cook tends to take a very conservative approach to ROI in Chip development cost.

21. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

You can choose to turn it on or off. Present Airpods miss audio quality, noise cancellation would be a further step towards an all in one good product, even for those that "sound good enough" is not enough.

22. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Lmao same. I got iPad 3 on release day and was fuming when the iPad 4 came out. I went over 7 years before buying an iPad again because I was still chapped.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’m not buying this rumor at all. I don’t see Apple releasing the AirPods 2 in March and then another version later this year. It Doesn’t really make sense to do this, and it was only detract away from the version two of the AirPods. This would be very Un-Apple like. I believe the AirPods 3 are coming, but likely not for 2020 with more major revisions.

24. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

Wait, AirPods 3 are cancelled now?!?

For reelz tho, I can’t imagine this occurring (the noise cancelling part) without changing the design or upping the volume by a lot.

25. Whoakapi macrumors 6502

The current AirPods can barely last 5 hours on a charge. How would that even be possible with noise cancellation?

Make the stem/battery twice as long?