Requesting a newer build week model when buying 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by topherg, Jul 23, 2009.

1. topherg macrumors regular

Going to buy another iphone 3GS tomorrow at apple for the gf... just wondering if it would be weird if I told the apple sales person to get me an iphone with the newest build week available? Would they even know what i'm talking about? Last iphone I got at this apple store was a 926.. so I'm hoping for anything over that. Just thinking that maybe the kinks that were affecting the earlier week iphone 3GS (yellow screen) have been worked out with the newer build week iphones.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Gawd, hopefully they'll have the 3GS iPhone in stock; let alone a specific week after 926....:p:p:p

I received a replacement 3GS 32GB Black 926 on July 1st, so I would think they are selling 926 or later at present....:cool::cool::cool:

3. topherg thread starter macrumors regular

lol! yea.. I'm guessing that what they'll have will be over 926 since its been awhile since I bought my 926. The way the 3GS is selling I cant imagine that they still have older week models on the shelf.

4. garethjs macrumors 6502a

There are 928s here in Australia already. I find it hard to believe u can't find a week 29 there.

5. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

unlesss you can see the serial no on the box, no.

also given the 'genius' of apple sales staff, no.

give it a go though, nothing to loose

6. Ahiqar macrumors member

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the only way you can be sure of getting a week 926 or later unit is waiting. There's no way the sales staff will be willing to pick through inventory to sell one phone - thats even if the serial # is on the box and easily viewable, i.e., not tiny print. There's no motivation for them to do that when the next guy will buy the phone.

8. Howardchief macrumors regular

Who wants to tell me what we're talking about? I just got one Friday and I want to know what build week mine is?

9. garethjs macrumors 6502a

Look @ the beginning of your serial number

xxyzz

xx = factory code

y = year (9)

zz = week (29 currently)

10. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I just got my 3Gs a couple of days ago and it's 928.

11. iOrlando macrumors 68000

as with many issues concerning apple stores...you might as well try. the worst they can say is no.

i doubt it will matter though. Inventory channel is usually 3-4 weeks anyways...so the phones they are selling now where already boxed at least a month ago, before 3GS started shipping.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

You could always just say "Hey - I'm anal retentive, read macrumors and will probably be back a few times with random insignifcant issues" - Isn't that basically the same as asking for a specific week of production for the iphone?

;)

p.s. I have a week 23 iphone 3gs and it's perfect. So - so much for the notion that "early" production builds are going to be an issue.

13. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

14. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Sure, if its a replacement, its going to be a refurb. It cant hurt to ask, seeing as a little white circle sticker is all it takes for them to reseal the box if you want a different week.

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Same here - week 23 in perfect shape.

16. sesnir macrumors 6502

The only issue with my 925 is a slightly loose silent mode switch. It rattles if I shake the phone next to my ear. If I hold the switch, no noise. That's so minor I don't even consider it a problem.

17. topherg thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys! I went today to the apple store over at the Grove in Los Angeles on my lunch break. I walked in asked the sales guy for a black 32gb 3GS. He said, "ok its going to take me a little bit I have to go upstairs to get it" I asked if he wanted me to go with him... he said it was ok for me to wait downstairs for him. I was thinking, oh great how am I going to ask this guy to go up and down the stairs to bring me another iphone if the week build is before 26.... and to top things off he was limping! I thought screw it I'll take whatever he brings me... a few minutes later I see him limping down the stairs and he brings me a 928!:D My break was about to end so I asked him if he would mind if I just take the iphone and activate it at home... he said it was fine and gave me the iphone and I was out! Good experience over all... I still haven't opened the iphone... hopefully its PERFECT!

18. 420-THC macrumors member

Glad to hear this, because im about to buy my first iphone in a matter of days:eek:

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

mine is 869 got it yesterday and it has a yellow screen plus some rattle inside.. hope i get a newer one tomorrow!! :eek::eek::p:p;);):D:D:cool::cool::rolleyes::apple:

20. 420-THC macrumors member

Did you order online or buy in store, now im scared again:(

21. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Apple store. dont be just buy one and if indeed its defective you replace it.

when i got my unibody macbook pro late 2008 i got a defective one but the second was perfect lol thats how it is you know, apple will make you happy at the end..
    i cant say anything bad about apple because they did take good care of me with other apple products..

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Wait... Im confused... 869? Hows that possible?

23. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Manufacturing doesn't really work like that guys. Apple hasn't re-tooled the manufacturing process since they started making the 3GS. If there is any defect its related to specific panel runs and not affected by the week it was manufactured, simply when they used the defective panels (of which there could be more in the future).

24. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

ill give you the first 6 digits,
    i might be confused as when the date is lolol

25. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Okay thats better 869 made no sense, but 928, so its of course 2009 and week 28.