Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009

Much thanks!

My first impression is that I like it. Nice tonality, and not too detailed around the edges so it's not distracting when I can see a bit of it on either side of the primary windows I'm working on. Interesting that they made it square, presumably to adapt to screens with different aspect ratios.

Is there only a night and daytime version within the .HEIC? It'd be a shame if it doesn't change throughout the day like Mojave

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
Much thanks!

My first impression is that I like it. Nice tonality, and not too detailed around the edges so it's not distracting when I can see a bit of it on either side of the primary windows I'm working on. Interesting that they made it square, presumably to adapt to screens with different aspect ratios.

Is there only a night and daytime version within the .HEIC? It'd be a shame if it doesn't change throughout the day like Mojave
There are quite a websites that have HEICs with multiple changes through-out the day, definitely worth checking out if it isn't something you've done before

Reactions: NotJohnnyQuest

NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
There are quite a websites that have HEICs with multiple changes through-out the day, definitely worth checking out if it isn't something you've done before

Yeah I've looked around before but haven't found anything I like quite as much as the Mojave wallpaper. It's really a good combination of just a nice, high-quality image that's not too busy so as to be distracting or make the icon labels hard to read.

The dynamic wallpaper really adds a lot to the aesthetic value of the OS IMO, to have a bright mid-day image when it's crunch time at work that transitions toward a nice sunset by the time you're winding down at the office and a serene evening vista at night. It's a nice way to set the mood for a certain time of day, and even better with the way the colors are subtly picked up by the translucency throughout the OS. I've really grown to love it and it'd be disappointing if Apple went from the nice 16-image transition to just these simple day and night shots. Hopefully this is just a placeholder and they roll out a more complete version later.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
Yeah I've looked around before but haven't found anything I like quite as much as the Mojave wallpaper. It's really a good combination of just a nice, high-quality image that's not too busy so as to be distracting or make the icon labels hard to read.

The dynamic wallpaper really adds a lot to the aesthetic value of the OS IMO, to have a bright mid-day image when it's crunch time at work that transitions toward a nice sunset by the time you're winding down at the office and a serene evening vista at night. It's a nice way to set the mood for a certain time of day, and even better with the way the colors are subtly picked up by the translucency throughout the OS. I've really grown to love it and it'd be disappointing if Apple went from the nice 16-image transition to just these simple day and night shots. Hopefully this is just a placeholder and they roll out a more complete version later.
I run this one https://dynamicwallpaper.club/wallpaper/hqzkn6nai0f

But, in my case I'm always in night mode so I find that it provides enough of a transition to seem aesthetically pleasing - but not quite bright enough to burn my retinas

NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
I run this one https://dynamicwallpaper.club/wallpaper/hqzkn6nai0f

But, in my case I'm always in night mode so I find that it provides enough of a transition to seem aesthetically pleasing - but not quite bright enough to burn my retinas

Very cool site; I hadn't seen these before. Some really nice stuff there, and even better, a tool to make my own dynamic wallpapers. Very neat!

There is the burning of the retinas thing. I might make myself get used to running night mode full time, expect that so many sites still use a stark white background so it's a moot point (or do they? I'm a few versions behind on my macOS updates so I still don't have the dark mode feature in Safari)

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
Very cool site; I hadn't seen these before. Some really nice stuff there, and even better, a tool to make my own dynamic wallpapers. Very neat!

There is the burning of the retinas thing. I might make myself get used to running night mode full time, expect that so many sites still use a stark white background so it's a moot point (or do they? I'm a few versions behind on my macOS updates so I still don't have the dark mode feature in Safari)
I would recommend Dark Reader for FF and Chrome, Safari version is quite expensive and not really that good in comparison, may be other available options? Don't really use Safari so not too sure what's current.

Would also recommend https://userstyles.org as global css styles are always a bit buggy and power hungry, I use Stylus (NOT Stylish!), but there are numerous other options. ShadowFox also worth a look if you're a Firefox user.

Reactions: NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
My link at the top is the full heic - there is no dynamic wallpaper in this seed, just one that changes in light or dark mode.

There is. It seems to be a bug that it doesn't work.

Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 18.34.45.png

NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
I would recommend Dark Reader for FF and Chrome, Safari version is quite expensive and not really that good in comparison, may be other available options? Don't really use Safari so not too sure what's current.

Would also recommend https://userstyles.org as global css styles are always a bit buggy and power hungry, I use Stylus (NOT Stylish!), but there are numerous other options. ShadowFox also worth a look if you're a Firefox user.

I'll check these out; thanks!

Reactions: OVERTASK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.