Requirements for Personal Messages are an irrational waste of time for the user

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by zaq1xsw2cde3vfr, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaq1xsw2cde3vfr macrumors newbie

A user comes here via a search in google, for whatever concern they have: usually due to a problem with something system or software based, that they seek information for.

Specifically, things that exclusively run on Apple Macintosh computers.

Now, the user registers a membership (with details required), validates the membership via the E-mail notification, and eventually submits a new thread to inquire about the appropriate subject.

The subject gets a response from a more experienced and informed user, who supplies some information, that could potentially sustain a solution.

However, there are problems encountered within the proposed method and process. This then is ratified with a counter response, to the member who sent the reply.

This response then awaits an imminent action upon a reply.

But the reply won't come.

So, to rectify this, a subscription is made upon the thread. The user whom responded to the thread, is added to the thread starter's buddy list.

The thread starter has 2 posts, and sees that the user is active and logged in.

An attempt to study the replying user's statistics is made, to view the public profile of the user. No contact details are found.

The thread starter now checks his buddy list. He attempts a personal message, but finds there is an inconvenience and a denial of service for that particular means of communication.

The first reason given for the refusal of permission for the ability to send a personal message, is that the user has not made a successful expression of E-mail ratification. The thread starter considers this: and immediately finds the information negligible, as there is a reasonable level of certainty that there are no more validations to be made, to confirm the account.

The other two do not apply, at least that can be ascertained by the user, as of the present moment they are read.

Checks the Forum Rules: there is no mention of this.

Checks the FAQ of the forum: after reading the entire thing, a small clause indicates to him that the requirement is 5 posts.

Evaluation:

-The individual does not seek to make 3 new posts for no other reason, than to further his means of communication, as this goes against the Forum Rules.

-The individual has been censored from the purpose expressed and required.

-The individual has to make time, effort, work and potentially a financial waste (factoring time management into the equation), in order to fulfill the demands of the requirements.

Conclusion:

The forum is a parasitic and leeching representation of whatever the individuals responsible, "contribute" to.

An inconvenience at best, and infuriating with dangerous provocations at worst.

Its subliminal intentions are now clear: it wants more resources than the individual is willing to be satisfied with, and the individual has to tolerate and devote the means to fulfill the requirements, under protest, condemnation and indemnity.

This means of communication should come to an end. It is a social form of malware.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

or you can wait for the response. People are not robots to be here 24/7

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That and I think you may need to seek help. There is something seriously wrong with you if you spent that much time hashing this all out.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Patience is a virtue. Strive to attain it. And the only thing you need to do that you listed in your diatribe is subscribe to your post. The other stuff sounds creepy.

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Can someone state, in just one sentence, exactly what the problem is?

AppleMatt

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Speaking as the OP:

"I make a post and no one responds (or they respond and I respond and then no one responds), and I don't like waiting."

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

My money's on "verbosity".

8. zaq1xsw2cde3vfr thread starter macrumors newbie

Not a single positive response: displays of neglect, attitude and incompetence

This thread was made to be as clear as possible. If you're supplying insults and implying rejection, you should try to be more literate, in order to interpret a feeling to respond in a more positive and beneficial way.

Read the full post above you. Your subjection of such a sarcastic solution shows you haven't read this:

Imminent: as in almost immediately. See dictionary.com for further definitions and information on the word.

If the reply won't come, then you adapt to this change in the situation:

A rather pointless measure for the near future, but for the relatively long term, a reasonable measure. So to deal with the present:

Through initiative and knowledge of the background, the following information is provided:

This is to show an example where a user will encounter a problem with the current requirements. Everything is accurate and realistic.

The user who replied: focus on that for a moment.

Contemplate that the user needs a reminder to view and respond the thread: a simple form of personal communication, a prompt.

The starter has an obligation to do this, for the purposes of the imminent need.

A further reason for which the argument stands.

A force of repetition shows an unwillingness to agree: this is your final chance:

The assistance required is either a change in the requirements, or the requirements to be met.

If the requirements are met therefore, no help is needed.

Your attempts to derail the point conveyed are completely erroneous.

No hashes were used in the starting post above: # is a hash symbol.

Neither were values of functions from arrays.

Or has methods for efficiently finding geometric objects of the same or similar shape.

And there are no coarse chunky mixture of beef and other things, e.g. corned beef hash or hash browns mentioned.

Nor a URL fragment identifier.

There hasn't been the Hash House Harriers, a loosely-organized group of social organizations focused on running and camaraderie; also referred to as "hashing," stated or implied in the suggestion.

With Hashish, a psychoactive drug derived from the Cannabis plant, I find no acknowledgment or citation comprised with the initial point raised.

If that's not clear enough, then I won't bother compiling a debasement of jokes, to try and appeal to your social vernacular.

Immature.

Patience's purpose would be to ignore the imminence of the scenario. There is no grounding for this.

When something's late, you can't give it time to be prompt.

Those that survive adapt to change, and the only eventuality that calls for waiting, is a preoccupation on the priority, and the ability to do nothing else but obsess.

Impatience and patience are both irrational when considered separate. Each sustains the other to make the purpose of each entwined, however. Time waits for no man, and it won't leave no man behind. Cause and effect.

Action followed by reaction. There is nothing more to describe, except that it has been concluded your virtues are at fault at not fully representing a sustainable balance within this universe.

Impatience and patience, both opposite sides of the spectrum, are relative. You forcing the issue with imperatives matters not to both being a state of mind, so attainment is merely a reality set aside for thought to be a physical entity within the universe. You do not attain thought, you comprise it out of what is already there, as in changing the mold of which yourself comprised of in the past.

Every person leaps away from who they are every single moment they live.

Your mantra in life must be about "finding yourself," because you're argument can be rendered as a pointless pursuit.

You apply simply contrived semantics to a complex and prolonged discourse: for the sake of contrast, perhaps?

Anyway, the meaning you attempt to convey by the usage of the word "diatribe," is actually a derogatory meaning. There's always a feeling with that word, that it resonates detritus. Well you're trying to rub me the wrong way with that tribein, because trying to dia me with that terminology, won't work. You may have taken time thinking up your response, but an extended period of time was not taken upon the post: you underestimate the typing ability that comprised it.

See this:

And twitter is one of the most popular social networking sites of the current generation, where the whole object of the site is to follow people.

Be a little more careful in the future when you condemn with a persecuting thought.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a lot of words just to say "I'm impatient, so I'll throw a temper-tantrum when I don't get what I want, when I want it!" :rolleyes:

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I have a question for the OP...okay two:

1) Did you sign up to create this thread?

2)Lets say you're not on your main computer, and you need to post something on MR (Here), how exactly will you remember your username?

11. zaq1xsw2cde3vfr thread starter macrumors newbie

Read the topic title: it's full of clues.

Is that what Dominican's use to indicate membership (referring to the member example), or does that stand for opinion?

Conceited and ill conveyed. Try mocking another bird. Enjoy something concise.

Using or containing a great and usually an excessive number of words; wordy.

Ah but, what characteristics to the word do you give it?

Contextually accurate, or an overreaction?

The tabloid journalism is surely something that you have become desensitized to: this is something different for you.

Being pseudo intellectuals, the Fox News vocabulary and word length won't do.

It's treating you all like children. Which all of you are playing all the parts for.

Assumptions are that the next production you'll put on stage, will be well rehearsed.

When you come out of the sand pit, juice and milk will be ready.

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    There is a requirements for PMs mostly to help reduce spam to the real forum users from bots who sign up just to send spam messages. That is the main reason.

13. zaq1xsw2cde3vfr thread starter macrumors newbie

Aware of this

Proposed alternative to your problem with the automated malicious programs:

better screening.

You need better forms of profiling that only humans can enter.

Either that or you need to fight back: simply rolling over and shooing the problem makes it come back.

What's disappointing about all of this is there's no feelings being reciprocated by anybody.

All that's being thrown is abuse.

14. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That is true, but sometimes spam is done by actual people, and not necessarily bots. I understand that it can be inconvenient for new members, but in all reality five posts isn't all that much. And like the Forum rules states it might be inconvenient for new members, but it is better for the forum as a whole. :)

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

..which is exactly what you started. You get what you give. Instead of coming here, reading the rules and joining a well-established, highly functional and productive community, you come with criticisms, insults and nonsense. You didn't offer a constructive idea. You didn't say, "here's something I think might make this forum better". You instantly start slamming what you don't understand and don't agree with. Then you're surprised that you're not met with open arms and friendly attitudes? All you need is some maturity. You'll probably be happier starting your own forum, where you can do things your way. Let's see how many join it! :rolleyes:

And while it's nice to have a vocabulary, knowing big words isn't enough. You need to also understand how to use them effectively in a sentence. Many of your comments would lead one to believe you've been hit repeatedly in the head with a dictionary, but never with a book on grammar.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Apart from the fact that the owners of this forum are entitled to set any rules they deem fit, and people can either abide by them or not use the forum, the rules in place for sending PMs are hardly draconian.
    IMO, it's not unreasonable to ask people to be on the forum for a day and actually contribute to the community by making 5 posts before they can use the PM system.

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

OP: Opening Post, or Poster.

This is a term Dominicans use to refer to the opening post in a thread, or the one making it. Mind, in saying that I'm not sure if iphone.aggie is a member of the order founded by Saint Dominic, or if she hails from a Carribbean Island. I suppose both could be possible, of course.

Incidentally, your lengthy complaints here mean that you should now be over the magic five posts required for PMing. Well done.

18. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I must say, I kind of like you, zaq. Your posts are well-written. However, being someone as perceivably intelligent as yourself, do you really fail to realise not only the myopia displayed in your posts (that is to say, the fact that you fail to accept the actual reasons, which may not apply to your situation, for those rules being in place), but also the vanity projected by your apparent belief that these rules, no matter their true function, do not apply to you, because your issues are, as you say, too important to be handled in an untimely manner? Surely, as shrewd as you are, you can find other places (such as, say, a certified Macintosh reseller/repair business that has a phone number you could call, or other results on Google) to get your answer if this site doesn't fulfill your hefty requirements of time and accuracy?

19. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

• Apple doesn't want every customer - it makes products aimed at a desired audience.
    • Macrumors doesn't want every user - it provides a service aimed at a desired audience.

Maybe you aren't in the right place?

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Have a look down at your keyboard - their user name is simply letters and numbers from the bottom to top row of the keyboard then moving across a key ;)

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have a strong feeling this is probably the only thing the OP wanted to achieve. What a joke!

22. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

A terse minimalist style works best online. Try reading a little Hemingway.

23. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

What? If you wanted a logical, intelligent response to your post then your sarcasm just lost you someone willing to give it.

OK fair enough. Next sentence then...

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. None. The only 'irrational waste of time' for me as a user was reading/decoding your poorly-written posts* which read like someone more desperate to prove their (apparent) intellectual prowess rather than make a succinct, valid point. If the forum requirements have stopped you PM'ing people like me then they're working well.

Although I've made my point, I feel like I should now extrapolate it out over two screens in multiple individual/broken sentences. Antidisestablishmentarianism. That'll do.

AppleMatt
    *Thankfully other forum users were kind enough to distill them down for me or I probably wouldn't have made it to bed last night.

24. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

This has to be the weirdest and most confusing thread on this site!

25. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Crap, I didn't even notice that. I thought it was just random letter/numbers.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.