Resale value of current MBP 13" vs MBP 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dzigg, Aug 2, 2010.

1. dzigg macrumors member

This might seem a little bit odd.. but I'm putting resale value into my decision to purchase my next Macbook :p

It's purely speculation since MBP 2010 is still pretty new.. But hey, let's just try to make educated guess, at least for the fun of it..

Considering MBP 15" is using newer processor (i5 / i7), I would think that the resale value would be better.. but how much better? e.g. how many percent would the drop be from their original price?

I'm leaning towards MBP 13" since the price difference between base model 13" and 15" is quite plenty and can't really justify it.. BUT if the resale value is better, I might change heart.. :)

I was hoping you guys can enlighten me on this, especially people who has experience in selling last gen macbook to buy current ones.. (I'm hoping I can be this type of consumer, so I can get the 'latest' without spending too much)

As a background, I'm a proud owner white macbook for 3 years..and now it's showing it's age by having random shutdown (due to heat issue) and the white is not that white anymore..lol (my fault for not taking care of it better)..

2. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

It all depends on the condition the computer is in too. But have a quick look at Mac2Sell, it's not precise, but it may help you.

Cheers

3. dzigg thread starter macrumors member

Thx for the link! A great resource..

Yeah, the condition plays a big part I guess.. But let's just assume that the condition is good, no defect at all.. :)

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

In the time you wrote your post, you could have scanned eBay to see what they are going for, or what people are willing to pay. But I hope you aren't hoping to get much back... yours doesn't sound like it's in too good of shape. If you have Applecare, you have a better chance to sell it. If not... then good luck.

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

But you already said it has defects. Are you going to fix it or just lie about it?

6. dzigg thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I don't think I'm making myself clear, I'm not trying to sell my old macbook... I know mine is not in any condition to be sold in the first place, it needs repair first.. (I'm guessing the logicboard :eek: )

I'm asking the resale value for current MBP in THE FUTURE.. so when I bought mine today, I'll be able to sell it for good amount of money to buy newer ones probably next year or so.. :)

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No one will know the prices that people will want to buy it in the future. Naturally, you will get more money back from the ix series compared to the Core 2 Duo but if you are going to pay more money for the ix series in the beginning, whats the point? Let me put it this way : You buy a 13" for 1200, but you sell it for 500 when you are done. ( I predict after a few years of use)

You buy a 15 inch for 1800, but you sell it for ~1100 when you are done (predicted when the next refresh comes in a couple of months)

See what Im saying? It doesn't really matter. Buy based on your needs. You will still have a proportional resale value whether its 13 inch or 15 inch.

(Keep in mind i just threw in numbers, but I think my Macbook Pro 13" estimate in a few years is pretty right on)

8. GeekGuys macrumors regular

A (very) quick scan of ebay sales in the past 6 months shows that, almost regardless of model, MBP's tend to retain about 60% of value after 1 year, 50% after 2 yrs, 40% after 3 years and then the price levels out quickly. To the point where a 6 years MB was around 25% of original price.

Certain models retain better value. MBA (all versions) retain close to 50% after 3 years. Black MB's not as much (approx. 35% after 3 years).

Hope this helps....

btw, I said this was a quick survey so please don't base sale/purchases on these numbers..... everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Barny

9. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should read the OP's post before you post a reply.

Macs generally have good resale value. I have seen some old ibooks selling on craigslist for $400.

But I would strongly suggest you go with the latest 15. The 13s have the Core2 processors which have been around for 4 years. So if you buy the 13 inch now, you would be buying the last line of older technology.

The 15 on the other hand uses newer tech. So it is probable that even after 3+ years, macs are using the i5/i7. They might go through minor revisions and die shrinks but people don't notice those too much.

10. marksandvig macrumors regular

I recently ebayed my old core duo (mid 2006) MacBook for $450 (okay condition).

11. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Well, I had a 13" base mbp (2009) that I upgraded to a 500 gb hard drive on my own and put the original hd in an external enclosure. I had that laptop for about 9 months and just recently sold it for $1050.

I went into the apple store, picked up the new base mbp with the standard 4gb memory, an iPod touch and printer for $1491, sold the printer and iPod for $200 and got my $300 rebate back for being a student. End cost of $991 and then I'm going to be getting another hard drive to put in it in the next week or so. I just hope I can do the same next year.

12. circularforward macrumors 6502

Good job! Did you use ebay or CL?

13. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Actually neither. It was through our local news website here in Utah. It exceeds any craigslist in this area. Its free and easy to publish, no fees and everyone local seems to know about it. I've sold several computers, ipods, and my car on there.
    Here it is if you want to check it out.
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=13

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

typical

whenever i have sold my macs under 1 year old i usually lose 200-300.00 on them,