Research Firm Predicts Apple Tablet, 300,000 iPhone Applications for 2010

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The New York Times covers a new, wide-ranging report from research firm IDC outlining its technology predictions for 2010. Among the firm's predictions for Apple are the release of an Apple tablet computing device and the achievement of a 300,000-application milestone for iPhone and iPod touch applications.

IDC predicts that by the end of 2010 there will be over one billion mobile devices accessing the Internet. While increasingly sophisticated smartphones will represent a substantial portion of the growth, Apple's "iPad" tablet device is also seen as a game-changer for the industry opening a new high-growth market for mobile devices.
The long-rumored Apple touchscreen tablet computer, or iPad, will arrive in 2010, IDC predicts. It will be more of an oversized iPod Touch, with an 8-inch or 10-inch screen, than a downsized Macintosh. With its larger screen, IDC says, the Apple tablet will be ideal for watching movies, surfing the Web, playing online games, and reading books, magazines and newspapers. It will be general-purpose, unlike Amazon.com's single-purpose Kindle reader. The Apple offering, Mr. Gens says, "could deliver a real kick in Kindle's butt."
The research firm also sees mobile devices continuing to "exert a powerful transformational force" on the computing industry as they evolve to become viable competitors to traditional computers as users' primary machines. That evolution will occur hand-in-hand with an explosion in the market for mobile applications, which IDC predicts will triple the number of available iPhone and iPod touch application to 300,000 from the 100,000+ applications currently available in the App Store. Similar growth is predicted to occur for Google's Android platform, as well as the popular netbook market.

Article Link: Research Firm Predicts Apple Tablet, 300,000 iPhone Applications for 2010

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Per other research firms (Forrester, Gartner, etc ...) all are predicting a greater penetration of high-speed data networks and smartphones. It's only a matter of time when 300k iPhone applications hit, not if.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This is great news, however I think Apple's time in the lead is limited. As more Android devices become available, I believe that Google's more open platform will end up dominating the smartphone market. I love Apple's iPhone OS, however I am hearing more and more Developers defecting to only produce applications for Android as the days go by.

If Apple does not change it's application approval / sorting process, I will continue to share my opinion with folks in the industry that have that viewpoint about Apple.

Considering it's been limited to AT&T (in the US), yes it is ;)
Remember that many of the application purchasers are using iPhone OS in the version of the iPod Touch.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The research firm also sees mobile devices continuing to "exert a powerful transformational force" on the computing industry as they evolve to become viable competitors to traditional computers as users' primary machines. That evolution will occur hand-in-hand with an explosion in the market for mobile applications, which IDC predicts will triple the number of available iPhone and iPod touch application to 300,000 from the 100,000+ applications currently available in the App Store.

All thanks to Apple. It's mind-boggling what this company has achieved over the past decade, never mind their contribution to the industry going back 30 years.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wrong about Android apps.

Android has no consistent hardware so do they make an app for each hardware?

tuhoops

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
iPad

iPad seems to be the logical name for the new tablet, however, I wonder if that's what they'll end up going with. I'm excited to see if this device can be a "game changer" in the netbook / kindle / new defined market to a level that comes anywhere near what the iPhone did for the so-called "smartphone" market.

cmfilms

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Central Iowa
Can Apple win this one? It seems like the hype has gotten so huge that it will be impossible for Apple to meet expectations. I'm sure it will be fantastic and revolutionary, but now we're approaching a point that, short of a water-to-wine conversion app, this thing is just not going impress the overexposed masses. :(

tuhoops

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Can Apple win this one? It seems like the hype has gotten so huge that it will be impossible for Apple to meet expectations. I'm sure it will be fantastic and revolutionary, but now we're approaching a point that, short of a water-to-wine conversion app, this thing is just not going impress the overexposed masses. :(
It will be difficult, no doubt. I don't see it being anywhere near the level of the iPhone (just based on the markets), however, I do believe it has the potential of defining a new market that we never knew we needed. It could be huge. Time wiil tell.

chickyd

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
do you not remember the iphone hype?... look what happened.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
The Apple iTablet must also run Mac applications. It must be a touch Mac.

striatedglutes

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2009
USA
do you not remember the iphone hype?... look what happened.
Yea really...the vast majority of everyday people out there [read: market base for the tablet] have no idea about the tablet right now. They will go ga-ga over it.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
does look like once announced (if there is one) the Tablet will be great nbews but then so many articles will say it is missing this or that.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
This is great news, however I think Apple's time in the lead is limited. As more Android devices become available, I believe that Google's more open platform will end up dominating the smartphone market.
I doubt this. I like Google and I like the concept of Android, but the platform becomes more fractured (read: confusing to consumers) every day. You're going to end up with a thousand devices with a thousand different software skins and there will be no cohesive brand. Not to mention the application woes, where an app works on device A & B but not on devices X, Y and Z because of differences in the hardware.

As for developers abandoning the iPhone en masse for Android, I don't think so. It's not happening now and I doubt it will happen at all. Developers are making peanuts from Android apps right now.

In the consumer pocket device space, I think the integrated model (iPhone, BlackBerry, Pre) will win the day. See "iPod."

From Gizmodo:

Nestled in the leaked Android 2.1 ROM, 20 new devices are mentioned by name—including those we knew of already (Dragon, Dream, Hero and Passion) but some new friends too, Bahamas, Bravo, DesireC, Espresso, Halo, HeroCT, HeroC, Huangshan, Incredible, Legend, Liberty, Memphis, Paradise, PassionC, Sapphire and Supersonic.
I rest my case.

striatedglutes

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2009
USA
I doubt this. I like Google and I like the concept of Android, but the platform becomes more fractured (read: confusing to consumers) every day. You're going to end up with a thousand devices with a thousand different software skins and there will be no cohesive brand. Not to mention the application woes, where an app works on device A & B but not on devices X, Y and Z because of differences in the hardware.
It's the same old linux-on-the-desktop story line. I would love for Android to be a real threat and get a "one-up each other" competitive battle going on with Apple, but it won't happen without a "gPhone" [which actually is on the horizon i guess] with real advertising/marketing support.

Those Whoopi Goldberg commercials just aren't enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.