MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

093254-isuppli_120_million_ipads.jpg

Despite Apple reporting lower-than-expected iPad sales in its quarterly earnings release yesterday, research firm iSuppli has once again raised its projections for iPad sales through the end of 2012 to over 120 million, up over 20 million from its July projections.

iSuppli has increased its iPad sales estimates from 12.9 million to 13.8 million for 2010, from 36.5 million to 43.7 million for 2011, and from 50.4 million to 63.3 million for 2012.
"In its previous iPad forecasts, iSuppli noted that the only constraint on shipment growth now is production - and not demand," said Rhoda Alexander, director of monitor research for iSuppli. "The only factor limiting production is the availability of key iPad components, such as the Field Fringe Switching (FFS) LCD panels, projected capacitive touch screens and NAND flash. Despite ongoing yield issues, Apple's suppliers have steadily increased monthly production to meet Apple's demand. Production rates are now on target to meet the expected strong fourth-quarter sales."
Along with the easing of supply constraints, the report points to faster-than-expected expansion of retail distribution and opportunities in education as positive factors for the iPad's sales future.

Apple yesterday announced sales of 4.19 million iPads in the June-September quarter, well ahead of the 3.27 million iPads sold in the previous quarter but below the nearly 5 million units that had been expected by Wall Street analysts.

Article Link: Research Firm Raises iPad Sales Projections Through 2012 to Over 120 Million

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Color me slightly confused if they fell short of expectations why raise estimates just a little but by 20 million? I saw iPads on every store shelf that carried them, I don't believe the production bottleneck is real, at least from my limited vantage. Especially when they are shoving them into retail giants like Target and Walmart. You don't do that, you can't do that without the production capabilities behind a move like that.

Comment

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Some impressive numbers, hopefully the iPad will see an even greater surge when the 2nd generation hardware is released with some more wow factor features to draw in sceptics.

Comment

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
umpf!

50 Million iPads in 2011 times $600/iPad = 30 billion dollar in sales in 2011

The market for ALL cancer drugs worldwide is about 40 billion dollar in sales for 2011

conclusion:
- we as a society have the wrong focus
- I'm going to upgrade my iPad next year anyway

Comment

apple1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
umpf!

The market for ALL cancer drugs worldwide is about 40 billion dollar in sales for 2011

conclusion:

Your logic is so flawed!

Should we all buy cancer drugs even if we don't have cancer????

Comment

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The market for tablets is huge. Once businesses start using them as electronic clipboards and notepads, sales in the tens of millions are not unrealistic at all. They will replace a lot of PCs.

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Yeah, this is a No Duh kind of update. Wall Street, which lurches from euphoria to sheer terror on a daily basis, sees only as far as the current day. Oh no, we thought they'd sell 5 million and they only sold 4 million!!!

Idiots.

Apple really started rolling at the end of the quarter, and this next quarter will see the iPad sold at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club and Target, plus it's the holiday season, plus businesses are grabbing these devices fast.

As I said, a No Duh upgrade in numbers. The iPad decade is just beginning.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
doubt they will replace PC's, but at places like doctor's offices where there are still mountains of paper they have the potential to replace the paper charts

the problem is making an app that lets doctors input information very fast and pull it up as well. it takes a doctor 20 seconds or so to write a prescription or update a chart. an app needs to do the same

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
i guess someone is pumping the stock

Right, because we all know that Apple's profits are not real money and that the iPad and iPhone are huge flops. Classic pump and dump here -- exaggerate impossible projected sales of a phony product, once everyone buys into that dump the stock before they realize they invested in a company w/o any real growth. Yup. You nailed it. :rolleyes:

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Color me slightly confused if they fell short of expectations why raise estimates just a little but by 20 million?

New versions.

Each new iPhone has sold more than the previous one. As they add features they begin to become appealing to more and more of the public.

Case in point: I have no desire to own the current iPad but am eagerly awaiting the second version.

So, yes, they're still guessing, but sales of the current model don't always mean much. You could call the first iPhone a failure if you are just comparing it to the iPhone 4.

Comment

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

She is right. What she pointed out was a simple juxtaposition. Cancer drug sales vs iPad sales(projected).Nothing wrong with that contrast and certainly not flawed.
Sorry,you failed.

Comment

GLS

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I saw iPads on every store shelf that carried them, I don't believe the production bottleneck is real, at least from my limited vantage. Especially when they are shoving them into retail giants like Target and Walmart.

Went to Target last night; their stock of 3G models was empty, but they had the WiFi only models on hand....the kid working behind the counter told me the 3G models sold rapidly....

Comment

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Color me slightly confused if they fell short of expectations why raise estimates just a little but by 20 million? I saw iPads on every store shelf that carried them, I don't believe the production bottleneck is real, at least from my limited vantage. Especially when they are shoving them into retail giants like Target and Walmart. You don't do that, you can't do that without the production capabilities behind a move like that.
iSuppli's forecast was considerably lower than financial analysts' estimates which, of course, ranged rather widely. Apple's actual iPad sales were considerably below that average.

The production bottleneck was more pronounced in international markets where the iPad's rollout continues. Your vantage point is limited because your own personal experience is a small geographic area and you are ignoring international sales (which is over half of Apple's revenue these days).

Just read any of the iPad threads on this forum (and other tech sites) and you'll hear scads of international commenters gripe about the lack of stock in their countries (both iPhone 4 and iPad).

Note that iSuppli's 20 miliion unit increase is for a three-year span. Their 2010 projections were increased by 900,000 units. It is the subsequent years that are seeing larger projected sales.

In any case, I wouldn't lend too much credence into any of these estimates, whether it be from iSuppli or some financial analysts. They were all wrong.

Comment

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I prefer to lug around my 13" MBP...is this old fashioned?

Nope, consider you can do a lot more with a notebook. Or even do simple things, like Instant Message someone while having a movie playing.

If I had to carry around an extra item (i.e. one that doesn't fit in my pocket), I'd want it to do everything my iPhone couldn't.

But of course a majority of users just like to casually browse the web & consume media; so iPads would be ideal for them. You can create media on the iPad but if you had to pick between a MacBook Pro & an iPad to do it, wouldn't want a more powerful/efficient tool?

Comment

apple1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
If that figure is correct then the iPad will have added 72B to Apples bottom line in just 3 years (assuming ASP of $600). Thats more than their entire sales for all products in 2007, 2006 and 2005 (56B). :eek:

Comment

MacMan67

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Lawrencetown NS
doubt they will replace PC's, but at places like doctor's offices where there are still mountains of paper they have the potential to replace the paper charts

the problem is making an app that lets doctors input information very fast and pull it up as well. it takes a doctor 20 seconds or so to write a prescription or update a chart. an app needs to do the same

It doesn't really need to do the same, but to get all my xray history or MRI information on the iPad when I am setting in his office, scroll through a 3D view of the scan, or search the pharmaceutical reference book to find the appropriate medicine or prescription strength. Our hospitals here are already linked so I can go get an xray and my doctor gets an electronic version immediately so he can access it in his office.

We need to think outside the box on the uses for the iPad. Most of us will be amazed how the devices will be used. Just having the long battery life and instant on will open up doors because it is faster to reach for the iPad than the alternative. Its all about productivity gains and accuracy in business.

Comment

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
One gazzilion iPadz pliz! Now!

One thousand gazzilions iPadz by 2012...

And then world can end...

That is my analyst projection based on careful research of the market and human needs :rolleyes:

Comment

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
umpf!

conclusion:
Are you saying not enough people have cancer? Or that cancer treatment isn't expensive enough?

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Right, because we all know that Apple's profits are not real money and that the iPad and iPhone are huge flops. Classic pump and dump here -- exaggerate impossible projected sales of a phony product, once everyone buys into that dump the stock before they realize they invested in a company w/o any real growth. Yup. You nailed it. :rolleyes:

120 million iPads is a huge number. for home use there is a big ROI on going with iphones or Android phones. my wife and I have 3 iphones and next year it will be 4. with a new one every year. even at less than 1GB data per month there is a return on investment because it allows us to transact business on the go anywhere. and a lot of free services take place buying 20th century versions.

the iPad is an extra device that's more of a luxury. there are less than 75 million households in the US and even with worldwide sales it's a huge number to sell a $500 to $1000 device that's a luxury

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Some impressive numbers, hopefully the iPad will see an even greater surge when the 2nd generation hardware is released with some more wow factor features to draw in sceptics.

When they get into 3g or beyond, hopefully making it autonomous, higher res., and have more lifestyle/media capabilities, it's going to be far more popular than it is today.

Comment

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
umpf!

conclusion:

Not every grown person has cancer,
Not every teenage has cancer,
Not every kid has cancer,
And...
If anyone has cancer, most likely that person will get an iPad this year.

Comment

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008

*Tablets* might be able to do this, but the iPad certainly can't. it's not even close to being able to do this since it doesn't have any networking capability.

I know this will change, but right now you can't even *print* from it.

And it's not like doctors haven't been using laptops for a while, and for most doctors a tablet wouldn't be much of an improvement - my doctor comes in, sets her laptop on a small table in the room, and uses it from there (to, among other things, connect info about her exam of me to the rest of the office for purpose of scheduling, recordkeeping, and billing). There's no advantage to the tablet form here.

Maybe in a hospital setting with lots of patients where you're going from bed to bed this could be an advantage - but without real networking capability, I think you'd need an iPad and a laptop. (And I'm not 100% convinced about the tablet form here - is the doctor supposed to type one handed while standing?

Comment

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
When they get into 3g or beyond, hopefully making it autonomous, higher res., and have more lifestyle/media capabilities, it's going to be far more popular than it is today.

Agreed...

When competitors bring out their gear, aplenty will bring out the second gen iDev... It happens every time.

I'm waiting to see the iPad/MacAir hybrid tomorrow...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.