Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Security researcher Tommy Mysk has demonstrated that iPhone push notifications are being used by popular apps to covertly send data about the user.

iPhone-12-Security-Feature.jpg

In a new video outlining the practice, Mysk highlighted how certain iOS apps exploit a feature introduced in iOS 10 that is designed to allow apps to customize push notifications. This feature, initially intended to enable apps to enrich notifications with additional content or decrypt encrypted messages, has seemingly been repurposed by some developers for more secretive activities. According to Mysk's findings, various popular applications, including TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Bing, are using the short background execution time granted for notification customization to send analytics information.

This practice is particularly worrisome because it circumvents the typical restrictions imposed by iOS on background app activities. Apple has always maintained strict control over applications running in the background to protecting user privacy and ensure optimal device performance. However, the push notification feature appears to have unintentionally provided a backdoor for apps to conduct background data transmission.

The type of data being sent includes unique device signals that can be used for fingerprinting and tracking users across different apps. Fingerprinting is a method of collecting specific information about a device, such as its hardware and software configurations, to create a unique identifier for the user. This identifier can then be used to track the user's activities across different applications, which can then be used for various activities such as targeted advertising.

Apple does not permit fingerprinting and will soon require developers to explicitly state why their apps need access to APIs that are often used for fingerprinting. This move is in line with Apple's efforts to strengthen user privacy, such as the introduction of App Tracking Transparency in iOS 14.5, which requires apps to obtain user permission before tracking their activity across other companies' apps and websites.

Article Link: Research Reveals How iPhone Push Notifications Leak User Data

• Angry
Reactions: LampMoritz

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I keep most of my notifications disabled (only enabled for calls, calendar, texts/iMessage and Messenger), are these apps still able to do said tracking with notifications turned off?

I as I understand it, they are still being sent, the iPhone just doesn't pass them along to me.

RealJerzy

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2023
So... they only get to know when you last rebooted your phone, or did I misunderstand the video?

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
At this point in time, anyone thinking any social media app is not always leeching every bit of data points about you they can is truly ignorant. I had reduced LinkedIn notifications to badge only and turned off all notifications from X, it's not an important app but I follow politics there. Why on earth would anyone install Bing!?

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
One of the best decisions I've ever made was deleting the few (anti) social media accounts I had a few years ago. This article highlights reason 4,357,288 to leave social media. To each their own, but social media IMO is nothing but toxic, time wasting garbage. To be fair though, it wasn't as bad when it first started. If I want to see friends or family, I will either drive/fly to see them, they come to see me, or if they are low on funds I will fly them to see me. If I want to talk to someone, I call them. If someone prefers text messages over phone calls, I text them.

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
So... they only get to know when you last rebooted your phone, or did I misunderstand the video?
This will be to the nearest millisecond (or microsecond? not sure which...), which likely means it can be treated as a unique ID (What are the odds another iPhone user with your model of phone, amount of memory, etc. booted up at the same millisecond as you? It's astronomically low, so it is almost like a unique fingerprint).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.