Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelly the Dude

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
I think this is more widespread than even the article lets on. I'm an iOS dev, and I've seen third party marketing companies who have push notifications as part of their SDK claim that they can get analytics on when a notification lands on their device (Something that would not be possible with the original push notification standards) . I dug into it with one of them and this was what they were doing. I actually figured this, and it wasn't terribly surprising to me. I don't see how this in particular can make a more effective fingerprint for a device in itself, but I'm sure combined with other things there's something. It's important to note that if a process is running on your phone whether it's an onscreen app or not, it can be collecting analytics (Harmless or not). One reason I leave my iPhone in low power mode.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

dcjames

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
I know some apps also send "silent push notifications" every night to track if an app is still installed by the end user. The logic is basically like "if the user was not reached and the notification bounced back with an error = app got uninstalled" You don't even know, as nothing will pop up on your lock screen.
I run the backend platform for several iOS apps that use push notifications. This nightly process for identifying uninstalled apps is actually not a bad thing. I will explain why and how it works, and how it's different from banned activity like fingerprinting.

To send push notifications, an app's cloud backend must maintain a database that maps device tokens for enabled notifications to their respective user. A user could have the same app installed on 2 iPhones, an iPad, etc., at the same time and that would be 3 different tokens in the database. Every push-enabled app must maintain this mapping db and there is no way around it. Because when a notification needs to be dispatched to particular user, the backend sender software refers to this database to obtain a list of tokens for the user, and makes one API call per-token to the Apple Push Network to deliver the notification to the user's devices.

Each time a user (deletes and re-)installs an app, the device generates a new app token, which the app can report to its cloud backend when the user presses 'approve' on the allow push notifications modal. User re-approval for push is required every time the app is re-installed.

There is currently no ability to report to an app's cloud backend when an app is no longer installed for a user. Which means that without some kind of process to prune the database, the db grows unbounded size and, over time, becomes more and more polluted with deprecated tokens from old device installs. Imagine an app like FB that has been around >15 years and what their tokens db would look like if they weren't pruning it.

So the nightly push notification process gives the app an opportunity to check in with the backend so that the tokens db can remain lean and optimized by pruning tokens that haven't checked in after a number of months. Further, it also prevents apps from hammering Apple's push API with notifications for tokens that haven't been valid for months or years. This particular use case you highlighted has nothing to do with tracking user location or fingerprinting but is more akin to good housekeeping.

Kelly the Dude

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
That's the important point, I think. This small data point or that small data point, taken in isolation, may not say much about you. But when AI can start to analyze 100 diffferent data points about you and find the correlations, it can unlock a lot about each individual user.

There's a concept in privacy law that says when you are in public you can have no expectation of privacy. I disagree with this principle, though. Sure, you might expect it to be possible that a random person takes your photo or overhears your conversation in the restaurant. But governments uses this excuse to pump this up to 1000. They can therefore plant cameras all over the place and follow your every single move "because you are in the public."

The battle goes on. And now we have governments (surprise!) convincing even members here on MR that less security is a GOOD thing.
Actually the one thing it can get you is whether the user has notifications turned on for your app, which could help. Not terribly helpful, but like you said fingerprinting is a bunch of little data points in isolation. Why I said: There's probably something. There's always something. 🙃

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Are these apps still able to do said tracking with notifications turned off?
And this, my friends, is the one million dollar question. I’m wondering the same. Does disabling push notifications keep you untracked? What about the red badge with the unread messages, does that send info as well?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
If you don't sideload apps, yes.
If that's the argument you're going to make, then why is it happening now when side loading isn't possible? By your flawed logic, this shouldn't be happening right now, because by not side loading...there should be no effect! Yet here we are. So clearly, when side loading becomes an option...by choosing NOT to do it...it's not protecting you from anything. Seriously, how can you not realize that?

If "don't side load apps" is the way to avoid this, this shouldn't be an issue for ANYONE on iOS right now.

Your argument isn't matching up to the reality here...🤔

EDIT: The lack of response on this one is pretty telling! Guess I've made my point!

Last edited:

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
According to Mysk's findings, various popular applications, including TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Bing, are using the short background execution time granted for notification customization to send analytics information.
Since the big names are doing this, and probably hundreds of the smaller apps too, then this has been an open secret in the developers circle. Why wouldn't Apple have known about this and fixed it?

Reactions: gusmula

upritbass

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Vegas!
That's simply not true. It's a simple mathematical calculation.

Having two ways to help provide privacy and security (system lock down, app review) as oppossed to one way only (system lock down) is by definition going to be more secure.
Yes, it is a simple mathematical calculation: it was proven quite a while ago that app review is always incomplete.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Imagine if this was your job at these companies. Employee, I need you to figure out a way to do something the company and the user does not want.

Everyday... your goal is to deceive. Sad life.
I can hear the meeting now... "Hey team, Apple is preventing us from tracking user activity across other apps and the device. It's this whole 'privacy' thing that people are concerned about. So I have an idea, let's figure out a way around the system so that we can get that same data in some other way." Does sorta explain why my wife can mention her co-worker who also likes watching the world cup, and suddenly I get advertisements for soccer lessons, shoes, streaming services, video suggestions, groups to like, etc. the next time I open my phone.

Reactions: Timo_Existencia

deathcab

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
Imagine if this was your job at these companies. Employee, I need you to figure out a way to do something the company and the user does not want.

Everyday... your goal is to deceive. Sad life.
I think most of the jobs at the companies named in the article (TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Bing) are exactly that -- figuring out ways to secretly do things / collect data that the user doesn't know or want to occur or be collected.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I turn off all unnecessary notifications in general.

There is no limit to the level of data mining out there; especially by small apps or anything from China (looking at you DJI!).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.