Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Wow, I guess next time I setup a personal hotspot to check my email on my laptop, I'd better watch out for someone nearby with a "GPU cluster of four AMD Radeon HD 7970s". I mean seriously, who sets up a wireless hotspot on their iPhone using the password generator and then transmits some sensitive data which is at risk of (and in range of) some hacker that would have the ability (or desire) to crack their wireless hotspot security? It's hard enough to even get people to turn on any security much less worry about whether it could potentially be hacked. These "researchers" need to spend their time on something more useful.

Don't agree at all. While I am not really concerned about it, I am happy that there are "white hats" out there looking for security holes. I'd rather they find them than "black hats." It will only make the OS even more secure in the long run.

smakus

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Newport Beach, CA
Misleading...

Taking 50 seconds to find the known key is one thing. That's great. But this makes it seem like they actually connected to the phone to test each attempt. That would take forever.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
Anyone with data worth protecting would chose their own password. I doubt the guy next to you at Starbucks is gonna bust out a cluster of PC's just for some free wifi.

saoir

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
Dublin
Wow, I guess next time I setup a personal hotspot to check my email on my laptop, I'd better watch out for someone nearby with a "GPU cluster of four AMD Radeon HD 7970s". I mean seriously, who sets up a wireless hotspot on their iPhone using the password generator and then transmits some sensitive data which is at risk of (and in range of) some hacker that would have the ability (or desire) to crack their wireless hotspot security? It's hard enough to even get people to turn on any security much less worry about whether it could potentially be hacked. These "researchers" need to spend their time on something more useful.

You said it all. What a load of utter irrelevant nonsense this 'research' claim is.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I always use my birthdate as password.

Just on the outside chance you're serious: excellent policy! :D:rolleyes:

.....To avoid a weak iPhone hotspot password, users can still choose to use passwords of their own creation, which should contain a sequence of random numbers and letters for enhanced security.

Article Link: Researchers Crack iOS-Generated Hotspot Passwords in 50 Seconds

If you're that paranoid, you can easily change the password to something much more complicated and secure. Really not a big deal.

Problem (if there really was one to begin with) solved!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So I don't quite understand...I don't think the device will be able to receive and process 50,000 login attempts in under 50 seconds - and I would hope that it would just eventually block the mac address altogether after a few successive failed attempts.

Is this just checking the password string to the generated one? That is only really relevant if you already know the password in the first place - which means not relevant at all.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Not going to lie, you'd think Apple might have taken it a bit more seriously than using an open source Scrabble dictionary and sticking a 1 at the end.

wrong: hotspot is not something u turn on all the time, but rather something u turn on only when you are using it, then off quickly when done. the design criterion is for function, NOT security. security is of low priority because there is very low risk that someone is following you around and stealing your bandwidth because you can easily detect that. however, using very simple phrase as password simply deter 99.99% of people who are looking for "free wifi" yet allow friends and family to get on your hotspot easily. it's much easier to tell your friend your password is "elephant17" than "iZX82kAj01" right?

people love to attack apple and interpret everything they do as sloppy/malicious/negligent but fail to see that their own perspective is tainted by their bitter souls, when apple clearly had a good intention for using easy-to-share password for their hotspot....

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Oh yeah, because I have such great concern of someone going to this effort at the airport or hotel in a nearby room while I have a hotspot open for my kids. This is so inane. Not to mention, the device broadcasting the hotspot shows if anyone is connected and how many connections are using the hotspot. Not too hard to shutdown if you have an unexpected user. This of course is assuming you don't want to make your own password. And people make worse passwords on their own frequently than these auto-generated ones.

Simply useless post IMO.

It is pretty silly, this bit of reporting. Though I will be watching out for a couple of GPU's and mobile power generator when I'm in the park using my hotspot from now on,

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
Honestly, I think this security flaw is getting blown out of proportion. How many of us carry around a big computer around and know how to reprogram our GPUs to try to hack into people's iPhones?!

At some point we have to balance between security and portability, at least for some time. The point a lighter encryption is to reduce the power used in a device. Unless we can develop an encryption algorithm that is both energy efficient and powerful is still a few generations away. I mean AES 256 and AES 512 still is too power draining even for desktop computers let alone our measly iPhone which we are still trying to squeeze out a full day on one charge.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Researchers Crack iOS-Generated Hotspot Passwords in 50 Seconds

:confused:

So they hacked it in 50 seconds, and then decided to publish a 10 page PDF document? Where's the time-savings in that? :D

Attachments

• hotspot.pdf
    463.8 KB · Views: 86

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not going to lie, you'd think Apple might have taken it a bit more seriously than using an open source Scrabble dictionary and sticking a 1 at the end.

They don't.

And really what is this cracking. The devices or just he wifi connection. It tells you the whole time how many devices are connected so if you see someone slip in, change the password or turn off the service.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007

cutmoney

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
Don't agree at all. While I am not really concerned about it, I am happy that there are "white hats" out there looking for security holes. I'd rather they find them than "black hats." It will only make the OS even more secure in the long run.

That may be true if this was actually a "security hole", but it's not. This information is no different than pointing out vulnerability to a brut-force attack. First of all, these reports are completely unrealistic because they never point out the real world likelihood of this even being possible. The possibility that someone is going to have the capable hardware, technical skill, knowledge of the vulnerable network, be within range of one of these networks (which is very small with an iOS device), and have the intent to do so is VERY, VERY small. It really just scares people that are uneducated on the topic in to thinking that there is some real security risk in this function in iOS, which there is not.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Nice to see someone using OpenCL...
"...and you know you should." Phil Schiller :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The person who put that into place needs to be fired. It's not easy to generate passwords, but they could have tested the function better to see if it was random enough.

So what happens if this password is cracked? Someone is using your 3G connection, at your expense. You can shut it off at any moment. Anything seriously needing security needs to be encrypted anyway, and then it doesn't matter if anyone is on your network.

There are plenty of people whose home network doesn't have a password, and there have been stories of people buying a router and paying for internet access but by mistake using their neighbour's network.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
The person who put that into place needs to be fired. It's not easy to generate passwords, but they could have tested the function better to see if it was random enough.

Actually, generating passwords is pretty easy. ;)

Generating good, usable passwords on the other hand depends on the definitions of good and usable. How easy should the key be to type? How hard should it be to crack?

Anyways, if you rely on testing the function to see if it is random enough, you most likely already lost. Brute force won't get you very far unless you start with some brain activity first...

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
That may be true if this was actually a "security hole", but it's not. This information is no different than pointing out vulnerability to a brut-force attack. First of all, these reports are completely unrealistic because they never point out the real world likelihood of this even being possible. The possibility that someone is going to have the capable hardware, technical skill, knowledge of the vulnerable network, be within range of one of these networks (which is very small with an iOS device), and have the intent to do so is VERY, VERY small. It really just scares people that are uneducated on the topic in to thinking that there is some real security risk in this function in iOS, which there is not.

Of course it's a real risk. Is it a high risk? No. It's a very minimal risk (which is why I don't worry about it). But the fact is that the automated password Apple supplies is not nearly as secure as it should be, and the average user is not going to know that. All that Apple needs to do is tweak their algorithm to make the system provide a more robust password. These researchers directed a light at a risk, and that is helpful to the overall security of devices.

Remember, there was a time when WEP was considered secure, because so few people knew how to, or had the tools to crack it.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Whose is going to wander around with a cluster of four AMD Radeon HD 7970s, looking for personal hotspots to crack? Silly. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.