"reserved" at Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scorch07, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

I went to the Apple store last Tuesday with the intent of pre-ordering a 3GS, because I hate ATT stores but I still prefer to pick things up in person. Of course they just have the weird "reserve" instead of an actual pre-order. Did anyone else do this? I didn't get any kind of confirmation email or anything, so I'm not sure what's going on. Does this mean I'm guaranteed one Friday or just that I'm more likely to get one or something? I'm kind of confused.

2. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I reserved one at my local Apple Store as well (via the Apple online store). I never received an email or any kind of confirmation. Anyone know any specifics on the Apple Store reserve process?

3. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

if you have pre-ordered through apple and have not recv a email within 48 business hours I would call them

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Reserved, does not mean one will be waiting for you with your name on it. You're basically pre-approved to walk in buy and walk out; you don't have to fill out any BS docs while you're there.

With all of the pre-orders taking place, there will still be a line, I doubt an Apple store will run out before Sunday.

5. D3lta macrumors 6502a

You should have received some sort of confirmation -- at least I did (ordered online to pick up at Apple store.) I would call the store to double check they have your name.

6. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the thing, it wasn't really a "pre-order." I didn't have to pay for it or anything. I just had to pick which one I was getting and put in my Apple ID, and it said okay, you're set! I was like um....

7. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

When you "reserve" at an Apple Store, you just save time by getting approved by AT&T. Your name is simply added to a list.

There is no guarantee they will have enough stock for you to receive an iPhone at that time. They will not hold one for you.

8. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Yeah I did the same thing. . . We won't have to take up so much time on friday doing AT&T crap. Just go in with your ID and credit card buy it and leave. Your not GUARANTEED an iPhone however we should be fine. Apple won't sell out before Sunday/Monday.

9. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, so I still need to get there early. Darnit, I knew I should have just ordered it to have it shipped. Does anyone have any idea how crazy it's going to be? I'd rather not have to get there at 5am haha.

10. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Pre-Order just helps Apple get a count of how much product they'll need. It also speeds you up at check out, because they will have all of your information.

IT DOES NOT guarantee you a phone. If you want a guarantee, you would have to PAY FOR THE PHONE IN ADVANCE.

And with all of the other PRE-ORDERS, and the WALK-INS you can expect to be standing in a serious line...

11. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah.... is it still possible to actually pre-pay for one and guarantee it? Frankly that's what I wanted to do in the first place.

12. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

LMFAO I doubt that. Someone will post the same thread as you later on. . . No worries though I'm use to this now.

13. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Only at AT&T. Call your store to find out if they are still taking this option - they already said Saturday or so was the deadline to get them shipped by the 19th (from AT&T), so this may or may not apply to in-store pre-order and pickup.

14. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

NO! AT&T ran out of Pre-orders. . . If you pre-order it now you will get it 7-14 days after the next shipment of iPhones.

15. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

oh my god..
    im literally dying laughing right now...thanks for that

ill be sure to "keep the site alive" from now on..

16. agirton macrumors regular

reservation

I reserved one and so did my friend at the same store. I got a confirmation and he did not, so I asked the manager to check the list when I went by later the next day. She verified we were both on the list. She also stated that this basically sets up 2 lines for Friday morning, one for those with a reservation and one for those without. The ones with a reservation will be taken on a first come first served basis followed by the line of those without a reservation.

17. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, ok, thanks. I may still call them just to see if they have me. What time are you planning on getting there? I guess I'm thinking around 7 but I don't know.

18. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I disagree with a number of the responses you have been given. I have RESERVED two iPhones via Apple on-line store with a PICKUP at our local APPLE STORE. Never received an email confirmation. Called the local APPLE STORE - they asked for my name and email - they told me that there are two iPhones waiting to be purchased by me on Friday.

They are RESERVED - not pre purchased, not pre-ordered (whatever that means).

We'll know in several days........

19. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Right, but since you didn't put any money down on them, you can't just show up late on Friday or next week and expect them to have held 2 iPhones for you even though there were hundreds of other people they turned away.

I think using the word "reserved" was a poor choice on their part.

It says on the site in fine print that pre-ordering does not guarantee availability.

20. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

I clicked "reserve" and then when I realized that it didn't do anything except pre-approve, I quickly pre-ordered and had it shipped to my office. I'm not standing in a line.

21. mikey28 macrumors 6502

exactly. They are not going to hold two UN-PAID FOR phones in hopes that you will stop by. Those phones will be sold to the next customer...

22. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

What "next customer" - please clarify

23. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, good thing I called. They didn't have me listed for some reason, so I went back through the process and called back, and they have me now. I guess I'll get there around 6:30 or 7 and hope for the best. It'll be fun either way (sort of).

24. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

One iPhone remains at your local Apple store. There are two people. Guy #1 is standing at the counter, credit card in hand, ready to buy the iPhone. Guy #2 is you. You are still asleep, expecting to waltz in later in the day and buy the very last iPhone that they held for you even though you made no actual agreement to ever come in and buy it. You just got your name put on some list for pre-approval.

Do you really think it's still going to be there when you arrive? :rolleyes:

25. bhimpele macrumors member

I have called several stores and asked how this will work. They have all told me that as long as I come before they close on Friday, there WILL be a phone waiting for me, even though I have not put down a deposit. 5 of 5 stores have confirmed this. Once Saturday comes, if these phones haven't been picked up, your reservation is cancelled.